Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,425

1 members and 3,424 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

BP keeps climbing?

I got my baby BP about 3 weeks ago and he has already fed twice, he is in a larger enclosure 55g (I'm aware of this debate) and his temp ranges are 88-92 on the hotside and 79-76 on the cold. His humidity has varied a little more but generally it's about 50% at first I was running 2 heat lamps but switched to a UTH controlled by a thermostat. His humidity during that time dropped to 39% but since the switch has stayed between 50-55%. He has a bunch of clutter but he seems to love to climb it. During the day he stays in his hot hide and comes out at night and tries to climb up to the top of the enclosure, I've found him staying underneath the mesh and cardboard ( I blocked off the top of the cool side with cardboard to retain humidity) several times. He kept falling a bunch so I added a "tunnel" that I made out of red Solo cups so he wouldn't fall as much and when I did he must've climbed up and down at least 10 times. IS this normal bp behavior? I'm just worried he's stressed, but since he's eating I'm not sure. Also I'm worried that when he's between the mesh and the cardboard that he'll hurt himself, I've found marks from the mesh in his scales (they go away with time much like when u first take ur bra off and it left marks). Please let me know

Thanks

Re: BP keeps climbing?

First off, glad to hear you have a thermostat! Baby bps climb way more than adults. As an adult he still might climb on things but babies are a little more adventurous so he'll be fine. The tank size could cause him to stress out but you said you were aware of the debate so I won't get into that. The mesh top could cause more issues if he's rubbing a lot but I've personally never had that issue so I won't be any help there, nor do I wear a bra so I can't relate lol.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Igotsmallballs (08-22-2020),jaepaige (08-22-2020),jmcrook (08-22-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaepaige View Post
    I got my baby BP about 3 weeks ago and he has already fed twice, he is in a larger enclosure 55g (I'm aware of this debate) and his temp ranges are 88-92 on the hotside and 79-76 on the cold. His humidity has varied a little more but generally it's about 50% at first I was running 2 heat lamps but switched to a UTH controlled by a thermostat. His humidity during that time dropped to 39% but since the switch has stayed between 50-55%. He has a bunch of clutter but he seems to love to climb it. During the day he stays in his hot hide and comes out at night and tries to climb up to the top of the enclosure, I've found him staying underneath the mesh and cardboard ( I blocked off the top of the cool side with cardboard to retain humidity) several times. He kept falling a bunch so I added a "tunnel" that I made out of red Solo cups so he wouldn't fall as much and when I did he must've climbed up and down at least 10 times. IS this normal bp behavior? I'm just worried he's stressed, but since he's eating I'm not sure. Also I'm worried that when he's between the mesh and the cardboard that he'll hurt himself, I've found marks from the mesh in his scales (they go away with time much like when u first take ur bra off and it left marks). Please let me know
    Royals live climbing , far more than a lot of other species.. they are of course nocturnal so sleep during the day and explore evenings I have branches in with all of mine and they climb every night .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Royals live climbing , far more than a lot of other species.. they are of course nocturnal so sleep during the day and explore evenings I have branches in with all of mine and they climb every night .

So is there any issue to worry about with him falling off things? The tank is about 2 ft tall and he's fallen from the top many times

Thanks

here a a video of me finding him in the morning https://imgur.com/a/qrCu2MV

Thanks

A 2ft fall shouldn't hurt him. It looks like he's up there because he likes the tightness between the box and the screen. Is his hide too big? Bps like to be really snug

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-22-2020),dr del (08-22-2020),jaepaige (08-22-2020)

Thanks

it could be too big, I'll try putting in a smaller hide for him. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaepaige View Post
    So is there any issue to worry about with him falling off things? The tank is about 2 ft tall and he's fallen from the top many times
    Na they fall off in the wild .. .. I saw a news item from a guy who catches/collects Royals from the wild and even he was shocked just how many they found high up in trees ..

For some reason many regard them as ‘pet rocks’ saying they do nothing but sleep... then they describe their enclosure .. . a smallish plastic tub with a water dish and a hide ( if they’re lucky !)- then they expect the snake to entertain them !!!

Give them a decent set up with a few hides , some branches and fake foliage and they’re really active in the evenings .. . until you switch the light on and they all scarper out of sight

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

jaepaige (08-22-2020),richardhind1972 (08-23-2020)

Thanks
    I noticed my boys don't really do it but my girls LOVE to climb. They're both adults (one is 8, other one is 6) over 2k grams. Once in a while I'll hear a loud THUD out of the snake room. Never had any issues with them hurting themselves.

Also, post a photo of your enclosure for a bit of better assessment.
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 08-24-2020 at 07:40 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)