Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

2 members and 3,288 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

New purchase help.

So my fiance decided she didn't want 25lb snakes around when we have a baby. Due to this I sold my blood pythons. I want to buy a trio of snakes. The requirements are that they will not out grow a 40 qt tub. Also she wants decent temperaments.

I was thinking a trio of snow paradox Kenyan sand boas, or 3 dumerils boas. The only thing is I don't think I want colubrids unless it's a scaless corn trio.

The goal will be to eventually attempt to breed whatever species I get. Live birth is preferred, but not required.

Also if anyone here has a trio of anything that fits this please message me.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: New purchase help.

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    So my fiance decided she didn't want 25lb snakes around when we have a baby. Due to this I sold my blood pythons. I want to buy a trio of snakes. The requirements are that they will not out grow a 40 qt tub. Also she wants decent temperaments.

I was thinking a trio of snow paradox Kenyan sand boas, or 3 dumerils boas. The only thing is I don't think I want colubrids unless it's a scaless corn trio.

The goal will be to eventually attempt to breed whatever species I get. Live birth is preferred, but not required.

You do realize that dumeril boas are about 4 to 6 feet and 20 lbs on average? Some have been recorded at 7 feet.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 06-13-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-13-2020),GoingPostal (06-15-2020),jmcrook (06-13-2020),Sonny1318 (06-14-2020),Toad37 (06-13-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Might be worth checking out IJ/Papuan carpets. They tend to stay in the 4+ ft range and are pretty slender bodied.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Sorry, I cannot recommend any to you. What if after your fiance gets pregnant or the baby is here, she wants the snakes gone again because of XYZ reason? Bloods are thick and heavy in weight, not long. Nothing like a Burmese or a boa, so I don't see what she meant by getting rid of the bloods.

I have a dumerils boa and corns but I will say no more. If you had done your research on this species, just like the blood pythons, the weight/baby discussion should have been done before bringing the snakes home.

And what is your motivation to breed? There is just as much risk in breeding boas as breeding pythons.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-13-2020),GoingPostal (06-15-2020),SilentHill (06-15-2020),Toad37 (06-13-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Sorry, I cannot recommend any to you. What if after your fiance gets pregnant or the baby is here, she wants the snakes gone again because of XYZ reason? Bloods are thick and heavy in weight, not long. Nothing like a Burmese or a boa, so I don't see what she meant by getting rid of the bloods.

I have a dumerils boa and corns but I will say no more. If you had done your research on this species, just like the blood pythons, the weight/baby discussion should have been done before bringing the snakes home.

And what is your motivation to breed? There is just as much risk in breeding boas as breeding pythons.
    My motivation to breed is that I had bred corns, and I loved doing it. It brought me alot of joy bringing new snakes into the world. I really enjoyed it.

And I have done my research into many different species. But I am just looking for someone to possibly suggest a species I haven't thought of. And there is nothing to stop her from changing her mind, but she knows I will keep snakes. She just didn't want a huge snake around. (Huge is a relative term, cause by no means are blood pythons huge.). And hindsight is 20/20. We were not trying to have a baby when I bought the bloods. It's easy to say you should have done this or that. The fact is this is the situation I am in and I am seeking out some help in finding the right match for me. Criticism won't help.

So basically if you can think of a snake that fits my requirements I would appreciate a suggestion. If you want to just criticize me please just move along.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    You do realize that dumeril boas are about 4 to 6 feet and 20 lbs on average? Some have been recorded at 7 feet.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
    Yes I realized that about the dumerils, but they don't get as hefty as the bloods. Everything I read said that they average 4 to 6 feet. I can handle 4 to 6 foot as long as they don't get as big around as the bloods. I figured if I went with a dumerils I would have to see the parents and make sure they were on the smaller side. Dumerils were just an idea I was thinking of. I was more focused on the sand boas.

You know I was throwing around ideas, and I figured this place would be the best place to throw around these ideas and get advice. But it seems everyone just wants to be negative.

Last edited by sur3fir3; 06-13-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes I realized that about the dumerils, but they don't get as hefty as the bloods. Everything I read said that they average 4 to 6 feet. I can handle 4 to 6 foot as long as they don't get as big around as the bloods. I figured if I went with a dumerils I would have to see the parents and make sure they were on the smaller side. Dumerils were just an idea I was thinking of. I was more focused on the sand boas.

You know I was throwing around ideas, and I figured this place would be the best place to throw around these ideas and get advice. But it seems everyone just wants to be negative.

Yep facts and asking you if you were aware of the size at which a dumeril can max out at is just being negative
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-15-2020),jmcrook (06-15-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Yep facts and asking you if you were aware of the size at which a dumeril can max out at is just being negative
    I wasn't saying you were being negative. I appreciate your advice. Sorry if that came out wrong. Other people were being negative

Last edited by sur3fir3; 06-13-2020 at 10:01 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (06-13-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

My motivation to breed is that I had bred corns, and I loved doing it. It brought me alot of joy bringing new snakes into the world. I really enjoyed it.

And I have done my research into many different species. But I am just looking for someone to possibly suggest a species I haven't thought of. And there is nothing to stop her from changing her mind, but she knows I will keep snakes. She just didn't want a huge snake around. (Huge is a relative term, cause by no means are blood pythons huge.). And hindsight is 20/20. We were not trying to have a baby when I bought the bloods. It's easy to say you should have done this or that. The fact is this is the situation I am in and I am seeking out some help in finding the right match for me. Criticism won't help.

So basically if you can think of a snake that fits my requirements I would appreciate a suggestion. If you want to just criticize me please just move along.

You wanted advice, but it seems if it is not what you want to see or how it is addressed to you, it is negative and critical? Here is an idea based on your post: wait until after you guys have a baby, take care of the child for a few years, and then revisit this request for more snakes. You said it yourself, she may change her mind. But you still got rid of your bloods when she changed her mind. When one becomes a parent, priorities are changed and whatever time and money you have now will shift towards the care of that child.

You know, maybe it is because I used to work at cat and dog rescues, but to say that 'things change' to justify selling your snakes is baloney. Financial hardships, family needs, medical reasons, lack of time, lack of space, unable to care for your snakes properly... Life throw these curve balls and rehoming is understandable, no matter what the animal is. Getting rid of your snakes due to a concern of weight of a blood python... How does that make any sense when you really think about it? The bite of a dumerils boa is just as nasty as a blood. So it is okay to keep a boa but not a blood? While dumerils have great tempermant, you may pick up an exception to that rule, and then what? Just like there are lots of nice corn snakes, there is always that one oddball that grows up to be a jerk too. They are animals - that is what they do.

The snake can live at the very least 20 years. This is not a relationship forum but you would think people in serious or seeking serious relationships would at least have the discussion of, "What happens to the pet if and when the baby arrives?" Like the thousands of dog owners who rehomed their pet because the dog is now too big, too drooly, too furry. This applies to mutts who have little to no market value to purebreds bought and sold for thousands of dollars. No matter the species, no matter what discussion or lack thereof that was had before, these are not commodities you trade and sell on a whim as a pet keeper.

Responsible breeders of any species care who they go to, and when or when not to breed if they feel the female is not ready or health risks are a factor. They don't just breed because they simply enjoy it. They do it to improve the breed/species health and looks, to expand the captive population that may be lacking in the market (which in turn eventually protects the animals being WC) and they fully understand and accept the risk of breeding should anything go wrong for the female and/or the babies. They plan months to years ahead, do thorough research, speak to other prominent breeders, and they don't just do it on a whim. If you are just going to breed simply to breed, that is what we call backyard breeding.

FYI, there is no such thing as a smaller dumerils boa. They are what they are, as described by Debbie and numerous caresheets. Anyone who tell you otherwise or that the babies would be 'dwarfs' or stay small is lying. This is another clear sign that you really did not do proper research on what you are looking for.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 06-13-2020 at 10:26 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-15-2020),Luvyna (06-14-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,867 Times in 4,781 Posts
    There is a dwarf line of Dumerils boas but they will still outgrow a 40 qt tub.

If you want a boid then Tarahumara boas and Savu pythons will both be fine in a 40-qt tub.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast