Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,040

5 members and 3,035 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Question The crumply hard eggs question... can the babies pip this?

I don't think I've posted the issue here before, but I was having humidity issues with the current clutch I have for the first week after they laid, causing the eggs to crumple quite a bit. That was fixed, but the eggs never righted themselves and kinda very gradually continued to crumple over the next 30 days. But they are still white and unrotten. I candled them just now and all have veins too, with a dark mass inside, which hopefully means the babies are all alive. It's currently day 36.

The issue is that I noticed the egg shell seems very stiff and thick, I assume this is also caused by the low humidity issue. It's hard to describe the texture, but I'd say it's like thick SUN DRIED leather, and not soft leather lol.

The first post I made, I mentioned this incubator is being heated by an RHP from above which I now regret- even though humidity has said 99%, I just have this feeling that the RHP is somehow causing the humidity to be drier near the top of the tub and that's been continuing to cause the eggs to dry and harden.

The incubation temp ranged between 88.5~90 according to the acurite

My question is would the babies be able to pip this hard shell? It just seems so thick, I worry they won't be able to... Not at all squishy like I see in the videos. I was originally planning on cutting them after the first baby pips, but now I'm not sure.

What would you personally do, for those who have bred many clutches? And what day should I cut, if I need to? I hope they are even alive and it's not just a living egg shell LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-11-2020 at 05:37 AM.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: The crumply hard eggs question... can the babies pip this?

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    What would you personally do, for those who have bred many clutches? And what day should I cut, if I need to?
    Personally: If I really thought they would have a problem cutting through---Starting at Day 52 I would check the eggs every 2 days, I would look for small pip marks in *any* of the eggs like pictured in the top egg of the video below at 3:48. Once I saw the first one I would cut a 1" long incision (not window flap) in the top center of the egg running along the longest axis. This is only if I thought there was really an issue--eggs can be rather tough to start with and the egg tooth is quite sharp.

*.* TNTC

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (11-09-2020),Alicia (06-11-2020),Bogertophis (06-11-2020),Craiga 01453 (06-11-2020),redshepherd (06-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Thanks for the video Sorril, that's very helpful! I guess also noticing a major change in egg shape would be indicative of a snake trying to pip?

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: The crumply hard eggs question... can the babies pip this?

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I guess also noticing a major change in egg shape would be indicative of a snake trying to pip?
    Yes, but, it has not been as obvious to me in some clutches of eggs as it is in others.
    *.* TNTC

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

dr del (06-12-2020),redshepherd (06-12-2020)