Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

2 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Aggressive/dominant baby bp

Hi, I got my first baby bp April 25th. I have been having problems with him striking at me when I come near the tub. It's gotten to the point where I don't want to even try to pick him up. His humidity and temp are fine and he doesn't seem to be going into shed. He is in a seperate room by himself (quiet). I feed him a fuzzy every monday. I have been told that if you hold a bp everyday for at least 20 minutes it will get used to you but i can't even do that because he will strike while i am holding him. I dont know what to do...any advice?

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Aggressive/dominant baby bp

What type of cage is he in? Also how big is he?
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    No handling at ALL, until after this snake has settled in & fed at least 3 times at normal intervals. He is simply DEFENDING himself from what he perceives as a threat-
    a predator. Fear is not conducive to a snake's appetite, & right now, he's afraid of you. Does he have secure-feeling HIDES? He NEEDS them, 2 at least, one cool side
    & one warm side. Self defense is not "dominance" or "aggression"...it's just not. Baby snakes get EATEN by all sorts of things, & he shows good sense in trying to prevent
    that...no one ever told him he's a "pet" & can relax...he'll only learn that slowly so you must be patient.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-30-2020),GoldSheep (06-12-2020),Orange531 (05-29-2020)

Thanks

he is in a tub and I'm not sure how big, but he's about 3 months old.

Thanks

He's been fed 4 times, monday will be 5. He has 2 hides, one on cool and one on hot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Orange531 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2020)

Thanks

Aggressive/dominant baby bp

Being a hatchling/ juvenile, their only method of protection is to be defensive. Majority of young bp will act this way from the start. This is a great time to handle them and get them tamed down so that they can tolerate human touch. There’s a couple methods you can do:

If your snake is defensive inside the enclosure, you can use a paper towel, or towel to cover them, and then pick them up from behind. Placing something over them helps them feel secure, you can also do this with your hand, but if you are scared, is your hand later on. You could also use a snake hook to remove them out of the enclosure. Once they’re out, handling can be a lot easier because it is easier to maneuver them.

This is my personal favourite: you place them inside of a dark pillowcase, and then tie the opening. Once inside you can hold your bp inside the pillowcase, and gently touch them. The pillowcase keeps both you and your snake calm, and makes your snake feel secure. I’d recommend to do this for 10-15 minutes after you can feel their body relax. Do this for once or twice a week, and you can slowly increase the time. Just watch for signs of stress, so that you know what their limit is. This technique will prevent bites, make your snake feel secure, and keep both of you calm, and it gets them used to being touched and handled.

After using this method, then I would try handling them with your hands. If you still require a snake hook to remove them then by all means I recommend you do so. You want to pick them up around the mid section of their body, reaching around behind the head so they don’t see your hand, be confident and just scoop your snake up. If they are still defensive, Bring your hand over their head and cover them. Make sure your hand comes from behind the head again( to avoid being bitten). Wait a few minutes and slowly remove your hand that was covering them. As they start to relax and become curious, is when I’d start the clock and hold em for 15-20 min. And then again, you can slowly increase the time.

Always remember to place your bp back in the enclosure when it is not defensive. If you put it back while it is, it can become cage defensive because it can learn that if it becomes defensive you’ll leave it alone. If your bp is defensive, you can get them out of that mode by using the hand cover trick, and as soon as they ball up, or if they’re relaxed then you can place them inside.

You always want to have positive handling sessions with your snake to build trust. Eventually they’ll get to know your scent and associate it with friend, not foe. Overtime you’ll find your bp will relax and not be so defensive. My bp used to be defensive even as I was approaching her enclosure. Now she simply freezes for a few moments, tastes the air, and becomes curious. This progress was within a month and a half time frame.

Also, use whatever safety measures you want. I used to wear winter gloves, and a hook to get her out and handle her, even when she was inside the pillow case. I used to be very scared. I knew a bite doesn’t hurt, but the thought of it, and the possible harm to her teeth scared me anyways. But now I’ve ditched the gloves and only use the hook when she’s in a tight spot where I can’t reach her from behind the head. Half of the work is also gaining confidence. So do whatever you need to do to get there. As much as your snake needs to trust you, you also need to trust them

And ofc make sure your bp feels secure and safe, eating regularly and that your husbandry is on point before handling sessions start.
    Last edited by Faith.luu; 05-29-2020 at 09:51 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Faith.luu For This Useful Post:

Orange531 (05-29-2020)

Thanks
    Can he see out of the tub? Is the plastic opaque, foggy or clear?

I ask because it may be that your presence may suddenly seem to loom over him & in his position, that's pretty scary. But even if he can
    see out, snakes don't see that well, nor do they identify things by sight. They see motion & that registers either as "prey" or "predator"...
    & since you're pretty big compared to him, he assumes you're a hungry predator.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-29-2020 at 09:52 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (05-30-2020),Orange531 (05-29-2020)

Thanks
    2 good ways to approach & pick this snake up...use what feels right to you:

1. Use a small snake hook to lift this snake mid-body & SET him on your flat hand. (good idea to sit down also, like on a soft surface such as a bed) Keeping your hands as flat as possible to stay UNDER him (so you aren't "target practice" LOL), just let him relax a while & get to learn that your scent & touch are safe to be around. This method is based on the saying that "snakes don't bite the ground they crawl on" & you're the "ground" here. Be patient...he will learn. What scares snakes the MOST is our approach.

2. Put a small hand towel* over him & pick him up inside it. Keeping him covered, sit for 30 minutes+ or so while he hides inside the towel & learns your scent & touch really are harmless. (sound familiar?) Don't do this daily...just maybe twice a week while he learns to tolerate you. (you didn't know you're this scary, did you?) One reason NOT to do this daily is that may be too stressful & then you'll have a scared snake that's also refusing to eat. Remember that EATING is JOB #1. As he tolerates this more, gradually let him peek out & see that he's being held by a GIANT...but one that by now he's learned is warm & safe. (*a pillowcase will work too)

If you have empathy & patience, this will work. I've mellowed some hysterical snakes with these methods, & if I can do it, so can you. Not rocket science...you just want your snake(s) to learn they are safe with you (& still eat).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-29-2020 at 10:08 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (05-30-2020),GoingPostal (05-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orange531 View Post
    Hi, I got my first baby bp April 25th. I have been having problems with him striking at me when I come near the tub. It's gotten to the point where I don't want to even try to pick him up. His humidity and temp are fine and he doesn't seem to be going into shed. He is in a seperate room by himself (quiet). I feed him a fuzzy every monday. I have been told that if you hold a bp everyday for at least 20 minutes it will get used to you but i can't even do that because he will strike while i am holding him. I dont know what to do...any advice?
    Are you feeding a rat fuzzy or a mouse fuzzy? A mouse fuzzy is too small a meal, they normally start on hoppers when they hatch. Your baby may just be very hungry.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2020),Craiga 01453 (05-30-2020),GoingPostal (05-30-2020),Orange531 (05-29-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Can he see out of the tub? Is the plastic opaque, foggy or clear?

I ask because it may be that your presence may suddenly seem to loom over him & in his position, that's pretty scary. But even if he can
    see out, snakes don't see that well, nor do they identify things by sight. They see motion & that registers either as "prey" or "predator"...
    & since you're pretty big compared to him, he assumes you're a hungry predator.

It is clear but i put a towel over the lid so just the sides are clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast