Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,379

1 members and 3,378 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Threaded View

Thanks

Pet Store Troubles and Bringing Problems Home

OK, so I work at a pet store and my job is taking care of all the animals. I do pride myself on providing the best care that I could with the limitations the store enclosures have (habitat size, humidity issues, limited choice of bedding, etc.) My responsibilities include interacting with the animals so they'll be more use to being handled by people, feeding, cleaning, and ordering more animals when needed. I'm not a fan of the last part because I have no idea on the conditions these animals are born and living in BEFORE coming into my temporary care and sometimes they do come in sick so I have to get them back to health. I prefer buying from local breeders, but no one bred anything other than small mammals and bearded dragons...and because of the COVID-19 stuff every single breeder I typically go to have shut down due to not being able to sell animals and they couldn't afford to keep them anymore.

So with the background out of the way, let's get into my issue here. I recently bought 2 snakes for the store from this distributor that I absolutely hate ordering from: a Kenyan Sand Boa and an Albino Nelson's Milksnake. They came in, and for about a week they seemed fine; however the store has also been EXTREMELY busy so I unfortunately didn't have as much time as I liked inspecting the animals. Well, I then found mites crawling over them one day...and they've gotten into a Colombian Rainbow Boa's enclosure. Now, the mites themselves I'm able to dispose of and a regular customer wanted to help and so he bought the Rainbow Boa (at a really good discount) and from what he told me, it's doing fine now. I've been doing proper procedures of cleaning ALL cages regularly to stop the spread and eliminate the mites, as well as set the other 2 snakes up in quarantine.

No other reptiles in the store has mites, but I also recently had hamsters come in with fleas and so I had to do everything all over again...but with mammals this time. And for several weeks, I've been paranoid about bringing these parasites home to my own reptiles (bearded dragon, corn snake, and ball pythons) and mammals (dogs, cats, and a hedgehog). I've been throwing my clothes in the wash as soon as I get home and then hopping in the shower every time before even thinking about interacting with any of my pets. Sometimes at work I even spray my hands with the mite spray I use just in case one is crawling around and I can't see it.

My question is: am I doing enough to prevent bringing mites home to my own animals?
    Last edited by Hi I am Snek; 05-24-2020 at 03:36 PM. Reason: adding details

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hi I am Snek For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2020)