Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

0 members and 3,269 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Got me some rats!!!

i got a bag of frozen peas for my rats and they about stampeded eachother getting to the bowl. i have this really bad habit with my breeders where i hand them things through the wires of their cage (i say it's bad because it does promote finger nibbling!). i handed them the peas and it was a pile-o-ratties in the corner where i was handing out the goods.

i think i need to get one of those toys too--one of my males has decided that it is his mission to find a way to chew himself through the wires of the cage.
    - Emily

Thanks

I do find the more I give them to do as far as having to work for their treats or bones to chew on the less they do any real chewing on the enclosure. One idea I've been tossing around is getting a couple of those really small hard red rubber Kong dog chew toys (like the size for miniature dogs). If you smeared peanut butter or whatever in it or just tossed some kibble in there, I think it would make for busy busy rats trying to figure out how to get to the yummy smell and they are extremely chew resistant.

I do hand feed treats too Emily but only larger size ones like the oil dipped bread scraps so that they can take the treat but not nibble on my fingers (makes their coats so nice and shiney!)

Yes I know I spoil my breeder rats LOL. I figure though happy, healthy breeders are going to make nice babies for me and make it easier to handle them and okay I just plain old like rats LOL! Thought it might bother me when they had young but so far I'm not getting attached at all. Just think of them like I did the chicken, ducks and geese I used to raise for the table.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

The rubber kong toys might be a bad idea for rats, the kong is desinged for the teeth of dogs, not the gnawing ability of rats. They could easily bite bits off to swallow.
    The idea of putting their foodinside something like that is great though. Maybe some of the parrot toys in wood that is non-toxic and ediable? I will look today to see what I can find as I have to go shopping anyway.

Thanks

Oh good point Wolfy! I never thought of the difference in tooth structure on that hard rubber! Good catch there and I'll definitely reconsider that idea.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

If you want to provide them with something to chew on, which is a really great idea, just give them dog chew bones, like the flat ones. It helps maintain thier teeth so you may not have to clip them and it keeps them from chewing thier cage and stuff. And for those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, yes some rats you have to clip thier teeth a bit, to keep them from over growing, cause some rats just do not chew enough to take care of thier teeth from doing that. To clip thier teeth, it is much like clipping your finger nail, they do not feel it, as long as you dont clip to short and do it quickly. It usually takes 2 ppl to do it, one to hold, the other to clip. You use a nail clipper made for animal nails to do this. When I had over 50 rats in the house at one time, when I was breeding rats for pets/show, I had a few whose teeth had to be clipped a few times a year.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Rats do not need to chew to wear their teeth down. When the "brux" or grind their teeth, that is how they wear them down. Chewing things is just what they do to keep from being bored. The only reason you should ever have to clip a rat's teeth is if they are misaligned. And no, they CANNOT chew through steel pipes... Teeth are teeth regardless of the animal.

Do NOT give a rat full-strength peanut butter, they will choke. Mix it with water or jam first to weaken the stickiness. Gummy foods such as breads, tortillas and such also can cause choking and shouldn't be given.

I give mine poultry bones(whole), beef and pork bones, all sorts of crunchy foods such as cereals, and anything else that I would eat. Kongs are fine, as are the nylabones and Greenies. They won't swallow plastic like stupid dogs will, LoL.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Oops I gave my rats some peanut butter on a dog biscuit . . . am I in deep do do?
    Andre Gennaro

1.0.1 ball python- Mighty, and King
    Lots of mice
    Lots of rats
    1.1 Het yellow blush albino on payment plan

amg20102006@yahoo.com

Thanks

Well, if they didn't choke, obviously not. Next time just mix the peanut butter with water so it isn't sticky anymore.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Okay i will do so also I have one more thing to say . . . My mom got 2 female rats from petco so I can use them for breeding ( dont worry they are big enough) well they only charged her for 1 instead of 2 so she and I are happy with that.
    Andre Gennaro

1.0.1 ball python- Mighty, and King
    Lots of mice
    Lots of rats
    1.1 Het yellow blush albino on payment plan

amg20102006@yahoo.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456