Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 698

14 members and 684 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

ArmedPT (39)

» Stats

Members: 68,311
Threads: 242,806
Posts: 2,519,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ClaudetteUra
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2019
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    What plants are safe to keep with BPs

    I am upgrading my juvenile BPís enclosure soon and want to put some plants to help with humidity and some hiding places for her. What are some good sturdy plants safe for ball pythons?

  2. #2
    Registered User kthoms104's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-18-2018
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts

    Re: What plants are safe to keep with BPs

    https://emborapets.com/best-plants-for-ball-pythons/

    - - - Updated - - -

    I was researching this a bit ago, and found this article helpful. However, since there's a lot of misinformation out there, I'd recommend checking out multiple sources.

    Also, this thread talks about the topic and some of the problems/solutions that would come with keeping plants and ball pythons together:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...arium-Vivarium

    Best of luck!
    Last edited by kthoms104; 05-14-2020 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Submitted too soon :/

  3. #3
    BPnet Veteran Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,865
    Thanks
    16,435
    Thanked 9,623 Times in 6,165 Posts
    "Snake plants" (aka "mother-in-law's tongue" - formally Dracaena trifasciata)

    There's many others though...you want plants that are (1) sturdy enough not to be ploughed under by your snake, (2) something that has no spikes/thorns that might cause injuries, & (3) plants that don't exude anything toxic/poisonous. (at least snakes won't EAT plants, like our dogs & cats might, but stuff can rub off on their skin & potentially be absorbed). On top of that, you need plants that can thrive in the same conditions (amount of natural sunlight, heat & humidity) so many things are ruled out.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-14-2020 at 05:04 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    vivi (05-16-2020)

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2019
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: What plants are safe to keep with BPs

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    "Snake plants" (aka "mother-in-law's tongue" - formally Dracaena trifasciata)

    There's many others though...you want plants that are (1) sturdy enough not to be ploughed under by your snake, (2) something that has no spikes/thorns that might cause injuries, & (3) plants that don't exude anything toxic/poisonous. (at least snakes won't EAT plants, like our dogs & cats might, but stuff can rub off on their skin & potentially be absorbed). On top of that, you need plants that can thrive in the same conditions (amount of natural sunlight, heat & humidity) so many things are ruled out.
    she actually doesnít bulldoze most things I put in, she seems quite happy exploring without causing issues thankfully. Iím looking for things that fulfills the second two issues as she has been known to accidentally munch on her surroundings when eating her food. Thorns could also hurt her as she likes to explore on occasion.

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2019
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: What plants are safe to keep with BPs

    Also Iím planning on it to be on or around a grape wood branch for its protection and so she can climb a bit more on occasion

  7. #6
    BPnet Veteran Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,865
    Thanks
    16,435
    Thanked 9,623 Times in 6,165 Posts

    Re: What plants are safe to keep with BPs

    Quote Originally Posted by EldritchPreacher View Post
    she actually doesn’t bulldoze most things I put in, she seems quite happy exploring without causing issues thankfully. I’m looking for things that fulfills the second two issues as she has been known to accidentally munch on her surroundings when eating her food. Thorns could also hurt her as she likes to explore on occasion.
    Well, we as their keepers have to think of EVERYTHING. When snakes need to shed, they rub against anything they have, unaware that they might cut their skin open if it has thorns that might catch on them, for example. But sooner or later, most snakes get around to climbing over plants too, so it never hurts for them to be sturdy, unless you don't mind wasting your money.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-14-2020 at 05:37 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  8. #7
    Registered User vivi's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-21-2020
    Location
    In a swamp.
    Posts
    294
    Thanks
    565
    Thanked 168 Times in 119 Posts
    https://www.snakesforpets.com/plants...kes-terrarium/

    I'd recommend getting in touch with Josh or Riley @TheBioDude. They have a lot of plants including species specific plant packs (Yes, there is one for a ball python.)
    vivi

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (05-14-2020)

  10. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2019
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: What plants are safe to keep with BPs

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well, we as their keepers have to think of EVERYTHING. When snakes need to shed, they rub against anything they have, unaware that they might cut their skin open if it has thorns that might catch on them, for example. But sooner or later, most snakes get around to climbing over plants too, so it never hurts for them to be sturdy, unless you don't mind wasting your money.
    fair enough I like being cautious either way

  11. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2019
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: What plants are safe to keep with BPs

    Quote Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    https://www.snakesforpets.com/plants...kes-terrarium/

    I'd recommend getting in touch with Josh or Riley @TheBioDude. They have a lot of plants including species specific plant packs (Yes, there is one for a ball python.)
    I really like the list they gave Iíll look into the humid plants. Itís exactly what I was looking for

  12. #10
    Registered User Southpaw91's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-10-2019
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 192 Times in 118 Posts

    Re: What plants are safe to keep with BPs

    Pothos are my go-to. They will tolerate almost any lighting conditions (except full direct sun) and mine look great despite being routinely trampled by my BP and crestie (separate tanks obvs)

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southpaw91 For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (05-14-2020),vivi (05-15-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1