Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
I don't use thermostats for my lizards, maybe for CHE just because I'm paranoid over the high temps.

Slate should be fine. I had been looking for slate for years so that I can get that natural look too for my beardie. I use a large brick instead. No matter what you go for, use a temp gun to get as hot as 99F more or less for adults and 100-110F for babies. If it is a little over 100F for adults, it is fine. You should have it hot enough to see your beardie gaping its mouth slightly while basking.

Most importantly, if your UVB light is on top of a mesh lid, your beardie should be basking about 10-12 inches from the heat source.

If it gets too hot, your lizard will know to move away. Hence, make sure you have a big enough tank to create an ambient temp for him to choose and cool off.
It’s the largest I can get at the pet store, the exo Terra 36 wide. Currently she has a carpet and a basking spot about ten inches, maybe nine, from the lamp. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen her gape her mouth though. I’m just super paranoid from horror stories of them getting burnt from too hot stone or metal.