Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,230

1 members and 3,229 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Can a snake make a cry for help?

Hello!

I had an incident a while ago where my BP got out of her enclosure and explored the room she was in. I couldn't find her that night, so I just closed the door and waited till the next morning for her to appear.

In the morning, I still couldn't see her anywhere, so I put on some television and started watching it.

Over the next couple hours, I would intermittently hear a loud hiss. A very loud hiss, such as she has never used before even when she's wanted me to go away.

I started looking around after the first of these hisses, but I couldn't find her. Eventually, it occurred to me that she might have gotten herself stuck behind a tank that rested against the wall. (It had never occurred to me before then that a snake could get itself stuck.) So, I pulled the tank a little bit away from the wall --- I couldn't lift it, but I figured if she was stuck, she wouldn't be anymore.

Sure enough, I spotted her crawling near it about 15 minutes later. I got her and let her back into her enclosure, which I made sure to keep entirely closed from then on.

My question is, was my ball python making a cry for help for me to come get her? Is the reptile brain capable of that concept? I mean, she couldn't have been hissing at some form of danger --- there are no other animals in the room, and even supposing there had been, she has never, ever hissed this loudly at anything. But it also seems very strange that a reptile would have an understanding that the human that feeds it and picks it up is some kind of ally or agent capable of affecting her positively.

[I know it was a careless and poor decision to let a ball python get out of its enclosure, but I have been much more careful since then.]

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Snakes cannot hear so how would they know to hiss for help? Just saying...

It's more likely that you heard some loud exhales from when she was forcing herself thru a tight spot.

Lucky you got her back unharmed...next time might not be so lucky...please be careful to prevent escapes.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-13-2020),GoingPostal (05-13-2020),Luvyna (05-13-2020),wnateg (05-13-2020)