Hello,

I haven't always had this problem, but in the last few months I'll often see my snakes (Ball Python usually, but also the BCI) hiding under the newspaper and at the far end of the enclosure, away from the heated end that also has their hides. The temperature is, as far as I can tell, not unusually high or low. (It's about 86 Fahrenheit most of the time.)

I use newspaper flooring across the tank to help with cleaning waste, and the snakes apparently find a way to lift up an end and get under it.

I don't really understand why they think the hide is inadequate. I've got hides for each of them that "hug" them, although I suppose those hides therefore are more prone to be moved around as the snake moves around inside them. (For this reason I've considered the idea of epoxying something fairly heavy to the top of the hide, but it has always sounded too dangerous to implement.)

Is anyone able to tell me anything about this behavior? I'd like them to get adequate heat and feel safe at the same time, but I'm not sure what's going on.