Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,138

0 members and 3,138 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts

Re: New boy stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Kerimac View Post
    I have plenty of trees that I can get him a branch from. I live on 56 acres. There is also a bamboo patch where I can cut a piece of bamboo. Should I scrub whatever I use with vinegar and water and dry it out before I use it or should I just buy a climbing branch? I hope I don't pester you but you have been at this so long and you make so much sense that you are my go to. I love the way you truly love them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I use natural tree branches from my property all the time but don't wash with vinegar(!) as wood might retain that acrid odor for a long time. I spray mine w/ the same solution (diluted chlorhexidine) that I use to wipe out my tanks...let it dry completely, no rinse needed. It's just to kill some germs that might be on them from birds etc. I've had a few bark beetles tunneling into branches too, once in a while; they are harmless to snakes, they only eat chomp on wood & you'll know you have them if or when you see tiny piles of sawdust on something in the enclosure... Bamboo poles can work fine too. I usually try to dry my branches outside in hot sun before using also...my snakes are too big for their branches to fit in my oven, lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-13-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Gosh I swear this snake is like my Noodle's twin! He did the exact same thing attaching to the side of the tub under the lid during the first few days when I got him. I later found out it was because he hated paper towel.

Glad to hear your boy ate! Sounds like he is doing well I'm sure he will be a great climber!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Kerimac (05-13-2020)

Thanks
    Another suggestion that works with either bamboo or scrap wood (1" x 1" or 1" x 2") or your branches is to make a wide ladder. You can attach pieces together with
    glue/nails/screws or even with zip-ties or winding ropes. Make it so it leans inside the enclosure...this kind of snake-toy is very good for snakes that aren't such good
    climbers...ie. my rosy boa has & likes one of these "ladders"- it's very easy for her to climb & lay on every which way. She also has a real branch going at an angle &
    cross-ways thru the ladder...just one more thing she can hang onto. This minimizes falls...just make sure that all gaps are wider than the maximum size of your .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kerimac (05-13-2020)

Thanks

I will surely get my baby a branch! He has even climbed back up there after he ate! I have him on reptichip which is what he was used to. He has the same exact hide and the temp seems spot on and not too hot. The humidity is still high (in the 80s). I don't know what his deal is, but if he wants to climb then he will have something to climb on tomorrow! I'm also going to order some of that cleaner that @Bogertophis mentioned (which I've already forgotten the name of but I'll go look). Lol..... You said that I don't need to rinse it. Do you rinse it when you clean tanks with it? I'm sure it will say on the label. He's so fun already. I'll definitely keep y'all updated!

Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Deep Purple Passion BP

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerimac For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-13-2020)

Thanks

I will surely get my baby a branch! He has even climbed back up there after he ate! I have him on reptichip which is what he was used to. He has the same exact hide and the temp seems spot on and not too hot. The humidity is still high (in the 80s). I don't know what his deal is, but if he wants to climb then he will have something to climb on tomorrow! I'm also going to order some of that cleaner that @Bogertophis mentioned (which I've already forgotten the name of but I'll go look). Lol..... You said that I don't need to rinse it. Do you rinse it when you clean tanks with it? I'm sure it will say on the label. He's so fun already. I'll definitely keep y'all updated!

Chlorhexidine is generic*...check with feed stores, pet supply places, drugstores-Walmart. I most recently purchased some from Chewy, but they only sold it by the gallon, so I need to get about 100 more snakes or live to 100 to use it all, lol. I'll probably donate some to our local Humane Society shelter to use. (*I used to use Nolvasan- but it's WAY more expensive now...it's differs only slightly from the generic & for us it's over-kill- it's used in labs & vet clinics, as is F10). Anyway, you dilute it greatly, spray on & wipe dry, no rinsing on cages needed. I use for both snake & rodent cages. (They also use chlorhexidine as an ingredient in mouthwash- I remember someone on another forum saying they cleaned their snake enclosures with mouthwash, lol...but personally I don't want minty-fresh snakes, & there's other ingredients in mouthwash that may or may not belong in a snake cage.) Chlorhexidine is used for germ-killing in wound care too...that's why feed stores carry it.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-13-2020 at 10:45 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kerimac (05-13-2020)

Thanks

Yes! I'll fashion him a ladder! I'll do this and let him get comfy on there and hang out while I fold his scales back into place!

Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerimac For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-13-2020)

Thanks

Yes! I'll fashion him a ladder! I'll do this and let him get comfy on there and hang out while I fold his scales back into place!

The ladder works really well for snakes with wider bodies. My rat & corn snakes can "tip-toe" over single & slender branches without falling but not rosy boas or BPs. When they can wind thru the rungs on a wide ladder that's leaning about 45* in their cage, they really cannot fall, & they can exercise with confidence.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-13-2020 at 10:59 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kerimac (05-13-2020)

Thanks

This is a great idea. I have a huge wood pile from a white oak that fell. We cut it up and I kept some big piles of all sizes of branches for bon fires. I'm sure I can make him a fine ladder!

Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerimac For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-13-2020)

Thanks
    I bet he'll use it...looking forward to his "mountain climbing" pics.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kerimac (05-13-2020)

Thanks

Absolutely! I will post pics soon!

Keri Mac
    1.0 Normal BP

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast