Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,480

2 members and 3,478 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Smile Questions/Thoughts on New Tub Setup:

Hello everyone,

First post here but have been reading for months now!

Anyways, I have just recently switched my banana/coral glow ball python ("Gadsden") from a 24"L x 18"W x 12"H ExoTerra glass tank to a 33"L x 20"W x 13"H Sterilite tub due to rapid and inconsistent humidity/temperature issues with the glass and mesh top, ease of cleaning, and overall size as well (this will be the final upgraded size for my male BP).

Outfitted in the enclosure I have in the past and still use a 2/3 mix of EcoEarth Coconut Fiber + 1/3 EcoEarth Reptibark (1-1/2" deep). I have found this to work pretty well and have never had any issues with it. I have a 11x11 Ultratherm UTH attached to a Jumpstart Thermostat (probe sandwiched in-between UTH and Sterilite) set to 107F since it has to work the heat through the plastic and substrate. The inside (inside the hide) reads from anywhere from 92-95F throughout the day. I have a total of 72 drilled holes drilled (32 on back, 16 on top, and 24 on front). I also have an array of fake plants and treated wood decor in the enclosure as well as a LED (no heat) light that I turn on during the day, dim in the evenings, and turn off at night.

My BP Gadsden has been in the new Sterilite enclosure for 10 days, and already fed once in it. I have not noticed any behavior issues in him that I can notice, but figured I would ask a few questions that I have to get some input/thoughts on this new setup.

Here are a few pictures of my set up:

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...sden01.01.jpeg
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...gadsden03.jpeg
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...sden04.01.jpeg
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...gadsden05.jpeg

My questions:

1. The humidity is approximately 68% so I angle the lid cockeyed to allow the substrate to air out. When I do angle the lid the humidity stagnates around 49%. Do I need to drill more holes? or wait for the substrate to dry out?

2. Though I have heard that my enclosure is too big, I do not think so as he is able to stretch across 1-1/4 sides of the tub (He is 10 months old, 541g). Is this enclosure to big? Even, if this is the final upgrade size I will keep him in? He does not seemed stressed as he ate immediately and handles just fine.

3. My apartment gets colder in the evenings and the two sides of the enclosure drop to an ambient temperature of 75F and 72F at night. When I wake up I turn on a small floor heater to raise the temperatures back up to my desired 79F and 74F (hotspot stays pretty consistent throughout the night) though getting the ambient temp up to 79-80F is quite difficult for me. Is there a way to make this situation better? Maybe adding in a Ceramic bulb? (I have had one in the past and they are very hot and suck all moisture out).

Sorry for the long post. Any thoughts/answers would be appreciated as this is my first BP and a very noob owner and want to get it right. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Re: Questions/Thoughts on New Tub Setup:

Quote Originally Posted by DMH9563 View Post
    1. The humidity is approximately 68% so I angle the lid cockeyed to allow the substrate to air out. When I do angle the lid the humidity stagnates around 49%. Do I need to drill more holes? or wait for the substrate to dry out?
    68% isn't so high. It'll be fine until the substrate dries out over the next week or so (assuming it's new substrate that has excess moisture).

2. Though I have heard that my enclosure is too big, I do not think so as he is able to stretch across 1-1/4 sides of the tub (He is 10 months old, 541g). Is this enclosure to big? Even, if this is the final upgrade size I will keep him in? He does not seemed stressed as he ate immediately and handles just fine.
    If he's eating, doesn't seem too big.

3. My apartment gets colder in the evenings and the two sides of the enclosure drop to an ambient temperature of 75F and 72F at night. When I wake up I turn on a small floor heater to raise the temperatures back up to my desired 79F and 74F (hotspot stays pretty consistent throughout the night) though getting the ambient temp up to 79-80F is quite difficult for me. Is there a way to make this situation better? Maybe adding in a Ceramic bulb? (I have had one in the past and they are very hot and suck all moisture out).
    Besides keep the room heated, you can try a second UTH, RHP, ceramic bulb. All on thermostats. Maybe insulting the tub more could work too.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

DMH9563 (05-09-2020)

Thanks

Awesome! Thanks for getting back. I will look into a second UTH, RHP, or Ceramic Bulb with Thermostat. I will also try calling my tub really disrespectful names while cracking Yo Mama jokes and making it cry! (LOL, joking!) . Thanks again for the feedback!
    Last edited by DMH9563; 05-09-2020 at 06:15 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DMH9563 For This Useful Post:

wnateg (05-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for getting back. I will look into a second UTH, RHP, or Ceramic Bulb with Thermostat. I will also try calling my tub really disrespectful names while cracking Yo Mama jokes and making it cry! (LOL, joking!) . Thanks again for the feedback!
    lmao insulating, but I think you got that
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor