Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,400

5 members and 2,395 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

My idea on new vivarium

Hi guys

I've got a glass vivarium at the minute but I’ve recently bought a wooden vivarium, I’ve varnished and sealed it with aquarium sealant.

i know I can’t put a UTH mat in a wooden viv due to wood not conducting heat, I know I can’t put it in the viv due to thermal blocking, I’ve recently got a heat bulb connected to a dimming thermostat for the new vivarium, I was wondering if I could put something reflective on the top to bounce the heat back down to the bottom because heat rises and a lot is lost in that case, if anyone has anyone ideas it would be fantastic if you could let me know because I trust you guys because I’ve got a lot of advice from you lot

thank you in advance

P.S. I’m from England

Thanks

Re: My idea on new vivarium

Hi, I have the same as you.
    I personally use a ceramic heat emitter with a pulse thermostat and I'm able to get correct gradients.

Just to be clear you shouldn't need a reflector if you have a heat bulb. Just make sure the wattage is high enough and use a thermostat to ensure correct hot spot.

I'm not sure if your heat bulb is mercury vapor or just a heat emitting device but it should ideally not emit light as the heat needs to be constant and your snake should have a day night cycle.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Absololol For This Useful Post:

ThyArt (05-11-2020)

Thanks

But.... I believe there are some exo terra reflective fixtures that you can use with a bulb... They generally are used for mercury vapor bulbs like you might use for a beardie or something

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Absololol For This Useful Post:

ThyArt (05-11-2020)

Thanks

I'm here in the States, I've seen these advertised from that side of the pond,

I've never seen one in person, or used one, But I believe they are to use a UTH in your situation, Just something you might look into

"The Viv Exotic Heat Mat Holder has been specifically designed to enable heat mats to be used safely with wooden vivariums. It incorporates twi layers of glass so that air can circulate across the surface of the mat to reduce the risk of overheating and thermal blocking. For use with the Medium sized Exo Terra Heat Mats."

https://www.reptilecentre.com/vivexo..._p31511970.htm
    Last edited by Gocntry; 05-11-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

ThyArt (05-11-2020)

Thanks
    Hi

thanks for all your helpful advice, I have a 75w infrared bulb on a dimming thermostat, her day night cycle seems fine from what I’ve seen she spends most of the day in her warm hide then moves over to her humid hide at night or explores her viv.

ill have a look into that mat cover seems like it would do the job great I’ve just read the reviews, would be worth a try at least thank you