Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 287

12 members and 275 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 68,355
Threads: 242,857
Posts: 2,520,085
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RimaMiles
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User Luvyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-06-2019
    Posts
    587
    Thanks
    802
    Thanked 531 Times in 325 Posts

    Ball python has decided he'd rather be a tree python

    My BP has recently become very active at night. He has started using the climbing branch in his enclosure a lot, whereas when he was smaller he never used it except to hide under it. When I take him out in the evening, he is very enthusiastic about climbing anything he can reach. He will climb the rungs of chairs, railings, the bed frame, the couch, or even climb up me onto my head or neck. He reaches for lamp posts and tries to climb them as well.

    This seems unusual to me since I remember as a baby he would usually try to climb down instead of up and wasn't particularly fond of heights. Now he seems to actively seek out heights and opportunities to climb. He is about 750g and close to 2 years old. What could have caused this change? Is he just more confident now that he's bigger? Is this behaviour normal?

  2. #2
    Registered User Absololol's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-05-2020
    Location
    Manchester, United Kingdom
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 148 Times in 66 Posts

    Re: Ball python has decided he'd rather be a tree python

    I think I read about how when they looked at ball pythons in the wild, males were waaaaay more likely to be prey on birds and hunt in trees, whereas females were more likely to feed on mammals and do their hunting on the ground. A climbing ball python is normal, most of them just get too big to comfortably climb AFAIK.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Absololol For This Useful Post:

    Luvyna (05-11-2020)

  4. #3
    Registered User Luvyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-06-2019
    Posts
    587
    Thanks
    802
    Thanked 531 Times in 325 Posts

    Re: Ball python has decided he'd rather be a tree python

    Quote Originally Posted by Absololol View Post
    I think I read about how when they looked at ball pythons in the wild, males were waaaaay more likely to be prey on birds and hunt in trees, whereas females were more likely to feed on mammals and do their hunting on the ground. A climbing ball python is normal, most of them just get too big to comfortably climb AFAIK.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the input! I'm glad to hear it's a normal behaviour, I was worried it might be due to stress.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-26-2020
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Images: 3
    Mine does that too hes usually looking for food lol

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Los For This Useful Post:

    Luvyna (05-22-2020)

  7. #5
    Registered User Luvyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-06-2019
    Posts
    587
    Thanks
    802
    Thanked 531 Times in 325 Posts

    Re: Ball python has decided he'd rather be a tree python

    Quote Originally Posted by Los View Post
    Mine does that too hes usually looking for food lol
    Makes sense lol, everything is about food for them

  8. #6
    BPnet Veteran Spoons's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-05-2014
    Posts
    307
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 217 Times in 123 Posts

    Re: Ball python has decided he'd rather be a tree python

    Quote Originally Posted by Absololol View Post
    I think I read about how when they looked at ball pythons in the wild, males were waaaaay more likely to be prey on birds and hunt in trees, whereas females were more likely to feed on mammals and do their hunting on the ground. A climbing ball python is normal, most of them just get too big to comfortably climb AFAIK.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    This is true. In the wild ball pythons climb WAY more often than most people expect, and a decent portion of their diet is actually birds. They are found in trees fairly regularly. Both males AND females, but males more than females. Sometimes they just like to climb - my young female does, but my male shows no interest.

    IF your husbandry is on point, temperatures are fine, snake isn't hungry, etc and he is still climbing, he probably just is exploring and is a climber

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spoons For This Useful Post:

    Luvyna (05-24-2020)

  10. #7
    Registered User Luvyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-06-2019
    Posts
    587
    Thanks
    802
    Thanked 531 Times in 325 Posts

    Re: Ball python has decided he'd rather be a tree python

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    This is true. In the wild ball pythons climb WAY more often than most people expect, and a decent portion of their diet is actually birds. They are found in trees fairly regularly. Both males AND females, but males more than females. Sometimes they just like to climb - my young female does, but my male shows no interest.

    IF your husbandry is on point, temperatures are fine, snake isn't hungry, etc and he is still climbing, he probably just is exploring and is a climber
    Good to know, thank you! Yes temps, humidity...etc. are all within the correct ranges and the same as they have always been. The only thing that's changed is that my BP is bigger now. I'm looking to upgrade him to a T10 or T12 AP cage soon so he'll have more room to climb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1