Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,188

0 members and 1,188 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,581
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Question Minor Burn or Pre-shed?

So I took my ball python out today for the first time since Saturday (I fed him Sunday and gave him over 60 hours) and I noticed that a large portion of his belly was a pink shade with some odd, thin orange lines that were occasionally visible going down the center of the pink area of his belly. I have Aspen as a bedding (humidity is normally in the upper 50% to mid 70%) so I don't believe it's from stainage or even scale rot, but I'm still concerned. I have the thermostat probe for the UTH set at 90° and I turned it down to 89° just in case, but he constantly stays inside his warm hide so I'm wondering if prolonged exposure to heat caused it (both hides are identical).

His last shed with me was 2/21/2020, a month after I got him, so I'm wondering if this is a pre-shed pink belly that I just caught on to that's working its way up his belly or something. The pink area seems to disappear and the orange lines become barely visible when he flexes his scales in and he shows no sign of discomfort when I touch the pink area. He doesn't smell burnt, the scales don't feel scabby or rough and he doesn't seem uncomfortable when he moves, but I don't want to sound too confident.

I would provide a picture but my phone and my lighting are both trash and the area won't show up on camera.

Any and all helpful feedback is appreciated!!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,922 Times in 11,904 Posts
    Hard to say, esp. without seeing...could be either one. When did he shed last?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Nyogirl (05-07-2020)

Thanks

Re: Minor Burn or Pre-shed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hard to say, esp. without seeing...could be either one. When did he shed last?
    February 21st of this year. It was exactly a month after I got him.

Thanks
    So then he's due for a shed, & that's most likely what this is (raise the humidity a bit) assuming your heat is accurately controlled. One early way to tell if a snake is
    going into a shed is to turn the lights out (at night), & use a small flashlight ('penlight') to shine across the arc of his eyes...you'll see the slight fog much easier and
    much earlier this way, instead of waiting until your snake is fully "fogged in" (with a shed).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Nyogirl (05-07-2020)

Thanks

I just did that, thank you! His eyes looked foggy from what I could tell, but he was a bit confused as to why it suddenly got dark and a light was shining at him and he looked around inquisitively. But hopefully he's going into shed, I've been excited about getting another full shed with him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nyogirl View Post
    I just did that, thank you! His eyes looked foggy from what I could tell, but he was a bit confused as to why it suddenly got dark and a light was shining at him and he looked around inquisitively. But hopefully he's going into shed, I've been excited about getting another full shed with him.
    Most likely a shed, then. But after he sheds, check his eyes the same way so you'll for sure know the difference & what to look for from now on. Always helps to know
    when a shed is coming soon, so you don't waste food they won't likely eat, or so you don't worry that something's wrong. There's other ways to tell also but they're harder to explain...eventually you'll notice how different their skin folds look when a shed is upcoming too, etc.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-07-2020 at 12:13 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Nyogirl (05-07-2020)

Thanks

Yeah, last shed he was in blue on feeding day, so he didn't eat then nor for a week afterwards (I read it was because their scales are softer so they feel more exposed). He took Sunday's meal like a champ though, despite eating the mouse backwards. I'll monitor him for the next couple of days to see if anything advances!