Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

1 members and 3,303 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Exclamation Substrate stuck in mouth/possible mouth rot?

Finally figured out my login info, and Hector is having a lot of trouble lately.
    so his mouth has been like this for a couple weeks. I’ve tried soaking a bunch and I’ve tried prying open his mouth to take out the substrate, though some people say is mouth rot. I’m not sure if I can go to a vet during this time of COVID so I’m really worried
    When I try to pick at it I’m afraid I’m hurting him so I don’t like to do it. The substance really seems stuck in his mouth, but it’s only at the top.
    ‘he’s also about to shed, and I think it will get worse if I let him shed with this stuff in his mouth. He also won’t eat and he can’t use his tongue.
    any advice would be super helpful. His tank is at 75 degrees and it’s pretty humid in there.
    Here’s what he looks like, sorry it’s hard to get good pictures, he’s very headshy
    The bottom of his mouth also goes to the side very often
    (after second soak)

(After first soak)

(Before soaking)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    You need to get that snake to a vet. Most are doing parking lot pickup where a vet tech gets your critter from your car and takes it into the clinic.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-03-2020),jmcrook (05-03-2020),Snakies (05-03-2020)

Thanks
    Okay I’ll see about doing that. Thank you
    Last edited by Snakies; 05-03-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks
    I talked with my mom (she’s my transportation since I can’t drive) and we both were able to take a good look inside of his mouth, and it’s definitely concerning. We’re going to take him into the vet tomorrow.

i don’t mind taking him in or paying for it (I can afford it just fine), I’m just worried that my mom will give up on him. We’ve had to take him to the vet multiple times for various things, and he gets into trouble a lot. I love him to pieces and I can’t believe she keeps saying he’s more trouble than he’s worth. It makes me really upset to know she won’t try for him anymore.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Substrate stuck in mouth/possible mouth rot?

Quote Originally Posted by Snakies View Post
    I talked with my mom (she’s my transportation since I can’t drive) and we both were able to take a good look inside of his mouth, and it’s definitely concerning. We’re going to take him into the vet tomorrow.

i don’t mind taking him in or paying for it (I can afford it just fine), I’m just worried that my mom will give up on him. We’ve had to take him to the vet multiple times for various things, and he gets into trouble a lot. I love him to pieces and I can’t believe she keeps saying he’s more trouble than he’s worth. It makes me really upset to know she won’t try for him anymore.
    When I was younger and stupid, I brought home my first cat against my parents' wishes. I was old enough to work and buy food and supplies, and I could drive. In light of that the cat stayed mostly in my room and left them alone, anything and everything about him would trigger my mom.

The point is, even if your snake was healthy, I bet you that your mom will find something else wrong with it to persuade herself that the pet was not worth it (to her).

I can't blame her though or my parents. If I could do it over again, I should have moved out first. It is her home so she can have her decision and comments of what resides in her home. Just nod, smile and don't fight with your mom because she could at any day kick that snake out. Focus on your studies, get a job when you are old enough, save up and move out when it is time for college. Then you can take your snake with you.

Yes it is disheartening not to have your mother's support, and worrying that she may give up on the snake. But she has not yet. You can put her back in a good mood by offering to help around the house chores. Do the laundry, wash the dishes, mop the floors. If she feels appreciated by you, she may start to understand why the snake means so much to you.

Fyi, I agree it needs vet care.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-03-2020),Noemi98 (05-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    In agreement here too, your snake needs Vet care, A.S.A.P.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kerimac (05-04-2020)

Thanks

Re: Substrate stuck in mouth/possible mouth rot?

That looks like a little more than bedding stuck in its mouth unfortunately. That will need to be irrigated thoroughly and treated with a topical and possibly injections to keep it from spreading systemically. Even looks like it might involve the eye as well.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-04-2020),Kerimac (05-04-2020)

Thanks
    Any updates from your vet visit?