Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,442

1 members and 3,441 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

albino BP is stinky

Hi, haven't posted here in a while, but I have a question and figured this was the best place to ask.

I have an adult female regular BP who is my pride and joy, and got an albino little girl about 6 months ago who is now a juvenile. The regular BP doesn't stink at all, no musky smell or anything, even when she pees. The albino, however, has a very strong musky odor when she pees/passes urate, and her vent sometimes smells very musky too. Her vent isn't swollen or red, I don't think it's an infection, but am just wondering if any of your BPs stink? Do albinos stink more than regulars? Just looking for some anecdotal insight.

Of note, it's mostly her vent, not her body or anything, and I keep her enclosure very clean. I use reptile carpet, not substrate.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Sounds unusual, possibly indicative of some kind of problem but I'm not sure what. My albino BP doesn't stink at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Has she always had this smell? Some snakes are more nervous (& prone to musking) than others, & I could see it when she was newly-arrived (especially assuming she
    had been probed prior to arrival at your place?) but 6 mos. is a long time for it to be normal & stress-related, IMO. I think it's very possibly an infection...some ppl aren't
    as careful when probing snakes as they should be...I think a vet visit might be a good idea. It's not normal, albino or otherwise.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kerimac (05-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: albino BP is stinky

Is there a difference in meals between the two?
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Moose84 (05-04-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Sounds unusual, possibly indicative of some kind of problem but I'm not sure what. My albino BP doesn't stink at all.
    thank you! Maybe I’ll take her to the vet soon, it’s time for a well visit anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Has she always had this smell? Some snakes are more nervous (& prone to musking) than others, & I could see it when she was newly-arrived (especially assuming she
    had been probed prior to arrival at your place?) but 6 mos. is a long time for it to be normal & stress-related, IMO. I think it's very possibly an infection...some ppl aren't
    as careful when probing snakes as they should be...I think a vet visit might be a good idea. It's not normal, albino or otherwise.
    that’s a good point about the probing- it’s not a constant smell which makes me question if it’s an infection, but better safe than sorry, thanks. Also I will say, she’s a little more skittish than my adult. I have to approach her very slowly, so maybe that’s part of it. Better to confirm with a vet though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Is there a difference in meals between the two?
    there is actually. My adult eats F/T gerbils and my juvenile eats live small ASF rats

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Don't wait too long...infections can spread, IF that's what it is.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)