Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

1 members and 3,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: New Member Looking For Suggestions and Info

A smaller PVC enclosure sounds my speed. I think that's what I'd like to do, and then I have the extra enclosure for in case I need it for anything. Or, when they grow out of it, I could put another smaller snake species in it like a hognose, or a different type of lizard.

No matter the PVC size, it should give me the qualities I'm looking for- stability, insulation, temperature/humidity control, right? The things that would be the best for my snake.

Also, a few more general questions to add on to the Sonoran ones I asked last night- what brands do people typically trust for thermometers/hygrometers? What are the best locations for these things/how many are recommended for a large set up? If you want to create a basking area, is it best to set up a shelf-like structure, or will bolting a large branch across the length of the PVC work?

I sent a message towards a nearby breeder who stated he would have "central american" boas to see if he knew what localities they were. I'll update here if I get a reply.

Thanks
    Hoo boy, I'm having some issues today with formatting on the forum... apologies for the double post. My previous post duplicated itself.

For a baby boa, would it better to have a smaller PVC all to it's own, or would the plastic tub be better for it's needs?
    Last edited by Mikknu; 04-27-2020 at 02:18 PM.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikknu View Post
    Hoo boy, I'm having some issues today with formatting on the forum... apologies for the double post. My previous post duplicated itself.

For a baby boa, would it better to have a smaller PVC all to it's own, or would the plastic tub be better for it's needs?
    Really depends on the snake, if you clutter it up and it's a smaller cage, it might be ok. If the snake doesn't eat or seems stressed, go to the tub. Chances are the breeder will have kept it in a small rack system, very dark and enclosed. I use herpstats for thermostats. Accurites for thermometers in the cage to look at, they tell humidity also. I keep one thermometer on the cool side of my cages that tells temp/humidity and one with a probe on the hot side, probe over the hot spot. Shelf or branch would be fine, they will perch on whatever you give them. Make sure you have a temp gun, that's the best way to check your temps all over.
    Last edited by GoingPostal; 04-27-2020 at 03:24 PM.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-27-2020),Mikknu (04-27-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bns View Post
    ...You have a strong prejudice against plastics...
    Yes admittedly, & you have a strong prejudice in favor of them. I've no desire to derail the topic, so let's leave it at that.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Mikknu (04-27-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikknu View Post

Just a suggestion here so take it or leave it.

BNS gave you the best advice you can get for setting up a "baby" boa. Those methods were used by the pioneer boa importers/breeders in this country after years of trial and error. They work, folks like Vincent Russo and Gus Rentfro are names to be trusted and they would recommend exactly what BNS posted.

If you are not capable of duplicating those methods, consider a boa that is slightly older. My boa was 10 months old when I received him and I was able to put him in my HDPE (plastic) enclosure. He was not a baby, but he certainly wasn't big.

Size 10 shoe for reference.

Size in relation to his 4' x 2' x 14" HDPE cage.

Its' not a bad option if you are a little uncertain, or worried about a very young animal.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-27-2020 at 05:16 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

bns (04-27-2020),Caitlin (04-28-2020),dakski (04-27-2020),jmcrook (04-27-2020),Mikknu (04-27-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes admittedly, & you have a strong prejudice in favor of them. ...
    Sir I don't think you have an understanding of the meaning of prejudice.

In context: prejudice is lumping things together and basing an opinion that all things in that group perform the same -this is what you were doing for the stated use. I'm entirely confident that I can separate things by their individual performances' and can do so without generalizations.

And if your use of the words 'strong prejudice' in describing your misperception of my stance is about choosing one form of enclosure over another without having intimate knowledge and experience about various ways of raising snakes...you would be equally mistaken.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-27-2020),Mikknu (04-30-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    A smaller cage is fine if you don't mind having an extra cage around or can reuse it, everyone is simply attempting to save you from money and effort. There's honestly not much setup, in my pvc cages that size there is flexwatt heating underneath just like a heat mat and also a radiant heat panel. No matter what size cage you end up with the setup will be the same, place thermostat probes, set temps, adjust to what they need to be and check them regularly. It's just a whole lot more difficult when you are attempting to retrofit a glass aquarium. In a glass fish tank heat doesn't hold well, unless your ambient room temps are quite tropical you'll likely need to add a heat lamp. Those are riskier and harder to control temps on. They also suck humidity like crazy. To solve that most people cover all the air flow (already poor in an aquarium) and either mist very frequently or keep wet substrate. That's upping your chances of a respiratory issue. Stability and security is what your baby boa will need. Get what's best for the animal, not for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    ...Chances are the breeder will have kept it in a small rack system, very dark and enclosed. I use herpstats for thermostats. Accurites for thermometers in the cage to look at, they tell humidity also. I keep one thermometer on the cool side of my cages that tells temp/humidity and one with a probe on the hot side, probe over the hot spot. Shelf or branch would be fine, they will perch on whatever you give them. Make sure you have a temp gun, that's the best way to check your temps all over.
    Couple of good posts right there...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-27-2020),jmcrook (04-27-2020),Mikknu (04-27-2020)

Thanks
    Well, if a PVC is best to begin with, I'll start with that. A smaller PVC, but one nonetheless. Maybe if need be, I can even put a smaller tub into it or scrape something over the front if my snake is still too uncomfortable with it.

The Sonorans wont be born until the Summer. So, assuming they're born at the end of May, he'd only be about... 4 months old? Unfortunately, boas are... difficult to find in my area. I'd really like to meet my snake before I purchase it as well(plus supporting a local business), but if I need to have one shipped, that's okay.

For Sonorans then though- are they okay on coco fiber, or do they need sand like in their natural environment? Do they like a lot of substrate, or not care at all? What do people do to keep their humidity up? Will a 40watt RHP be too much for a 2x1.5x1? I'm thinking of asking for a custom that's a bit taller, but I'll have to see how much it costs. It might just be easier to buy a different premade PVC that's a size up if custom making it is more expensive.

I'm currently looking at getting the acurite for thermometer/hydrometer, but I've heard that simple analogue hygrometers are the best ones? I also found something called a hydrostatic 2 I think, normally used with cigar boxes, that was recommended. For a temp gun I haven't looked yet but I am planning to get one, and I've been looking at the herpstat 1/herpstat EZ for a thermostat. However, I'm not sure how many heat sources I'll have- heat tape+RHP? Just the best tape?- so I'm thinking I'll need the EZ2/herpstat 2. Is there a big difference between the EZ and the standard?

What size hides are needed for a few months old snake as well? I'm not too great with spatial awareness, unfortunately.

Thanks
    Here with a few updated questions after some more research. I'm sorry for the extremely massive question dump.

Substrate: Would a mix of eco earth and forest bark be an appropriate substrate for retaining humidity? Im.jot sure of the relative humidity in my area, but it gets pretty "muggy" during the summer. The temperature of the room I'm considering to house the snake in is a cool ambient 72 right now in mid-Spring, and I believe it gets down to about 68 during the winter. As we get into summer, the room will likely go up another degree or two, maybe more? I've never accurately kept temps up on it to be honest, but I know that Nebraksa can be pretty variable with temperature and humidity even in one day. I don't expect the house to be fluctuating wildly, but I'm fairly settled in the decision to switch to a PVC the more research I do. I'm really looking for that will insulated enclosure.

Enclosure- I know I'm going to go with the smaller PVC at this point. I'm not sure about whether or not to ask to make it taller/wider; I know boas will utilise the space given to them, but I suppose it'll end up being answered whenever I ask how much customizing it would be. The next size up is 36x18x12, and it might be cheaper than creating a custom. I'm not sure to be honest.

Heating- I'm still a bit unsure about a RHP in a 24"x16"x12". Some sources say it's necessary to have 40 watts, others think 40 watts is too much for a 2' enclosure and only belly heat should be used. Wouldnt that make it difficult to get ambient temps up high enough though? The enclosure comes with recessed belly heat installed on the right side; I've heard suggestions to put high watt belly heat on one side and low watt on the other side for PVC, especially large ones. Is that the same principle?

Decor- Is grapevine wood safe to climb on/hollows? Is a basking shelf necessary, or will a hide with a large, flat roof do the trick in such a short enclosure? If a RHP is present- would it then be dangerous to include a shelf higher up on the wall? If a RHP is not present- will the snake utilise a ledge that wont be terrifically warm?

Plants- I've been looking at air plants and mosses to attach to wood/hides to help with humidity and give it a "desert plant" sort of look, without having actual desert plants that can't deal with the humidity neccessary in a boa enclosure. Are live terrarium mosses okay to attach to water bowls/wood/hides, or is boxed spaghnum/beaked moss better for that? The goal is to help with humidity.

Vitamins- How frequently do you add vitamins to your snake's food? Rotating between calcium and multivite.

Lighting- I've heard if you want to include extra easy lighting, a little LED strip light- the kind that has a sticky back- will work. Is this true?

Thermostat- Is the herpstat EZ2 or the VE300 better? The VE300 reviews say you can attach a power strip and plug multiple devices in- if that's true, does it work for any thermostat, or only the VE300?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234