Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,434

4 members and 3,430 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Bp hissing after antibiotics

So this is common sense I’m sure but my snake is recovering from a ri and he is being treated with fortaz injections as he had two others before It started to help. Vet said It was a bad infection based on bloodwork. So I’m doing injections every three days. Anyway after I give him his injection he will start hissing. He doesn’t get in strike position but he hisses to let me know he’s not happy. So my question is do I continue to hold him a while after even though he’s hissing or put him away? I don’t want him to associate me with painful things and get aggressive. Anyone had experience and offer some advice? Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I'd be inclined to stop holding him & let him go back to where he feels safest, his home. I'm sure the hissing means he's hurting, poor baby...I hope his RI clears so you
    don't need another round of a different antibiotic after the Fortaz. Even though it's unpleasant, always do the full course of any antibiotics your vet recommends using.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Bp hissing after antibiotics

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd be inclined to stop holding him & let him go back to where he feels safest, his home. I'm sure the hissing means he's hurting, poor baby...I hope his RI clears so you
    don't need another round of a different antibiotic after the Fortaz. Even though it's unpleasant, always do the full course of any antibiotics your vet recommends using.
    yes it’s a 10 shot course over 30 days so he’s got 8 more coming. Thanks for your advice
    Last edited by Linseylou; 04-21-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

A few comments.

1. He's just saying he's unhappy. As long as your are doing the injections properly (in muscle) and not hurting him, it's fine. I got Yafe, my Carpet Python, after being lost by Fed Ex and he developed a serious RI within 24 hours of arrival. He wasn't happy about the injections, but my wife and I were as gentle as we could be and did our best. I spent a minute with him after injections basically letting him calm down and then putting him back. I did not handle otherwise during treatment.

He will not hold a grudge and you have plenty of time to change his mind after he's better.

2. You said the vet diagnosed an RI with a blood test? That's not good. In order to properly treat an RI, a tracheal wash should be done so you know what type of bacteria and therefore what antibiotic to use. You will also know if it's not bacterial (which can happen - viral or fungal can happen as well).

At this point, finish the antibiotic and hope the vet guessed properly. However, find a new vet.

3. Make sure the cage is clean, clean, clean, and temps and humidity are perfect.

You did not say how he got the RI, but proper husbandry will only help him heal and prevent another infection. Depending on type and severity, RI's can make a snake more susceptible to another infection.

Finally, if you have questions, don't be shy, ask. We are here to help.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-21-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    A few comments.

1. He's just saying he's unhappy. As long as your are doing the injections properly (in muscle) and not hurting him, it's fine. I got Yafe, my Carpet Python, after being lost by Fed Ex and he developed a serious RI within 24 hours of arrival. He wasn't happy about the injections, but my wife and I were as gentle as we could be and did our best. I spent a minute with him after injections basically letting him calm down and then putting him back. I did not handle otherwise during treatment.

He will not hold a grudge and you have plenty of time to change his mind after he's better.

2. You said the vet diagnosed an RI with a blood test? That's not good. In order to properly treat an RI, a tracheal wash should be done so you know what type of bacteria and therefore what antibiotic to use. You will also know if it's not bacterial (which can happen - viral or fungal can happen as well).

At this point, finish the antibiotic and hope the vet guessed properly. However, find a new vet.

3. Make sure the cage is clean, clean, clean, and temps and humidity are perfect.

You did not say how he got the RI, but proper husbandry will only help him heal and prevent another infection. Depending on type and severity, RI's can make a snake more susceptible to another infection.

Finally, if you have questions, don't be shy, ask. We are here to help.

thanks for your advice.
    to answer your questions- al of this started after buying a beardie we didn’t realize was infested with mites and as It was our first we didn’t quarantine and It got to him. We did mite treatments and It seemed It began to lower his immune system and we think spraying prevent a mite possibly after we put him back in he smelled some of the fumes or something. We are doing the injections properly as this vet was so gracious and taught us step by step in his office as we watched and he let me do a sterile water injection just to make sure I had It right. the other question- he didn’t diagnose him with an ri by bloodwork, we were at another vet who did two round of antibiotics and I wasn’t pleased with them so I went to a new vet who has fantastic reviews and experience with them and he was beginning to get better but they could see the saliva and he was getting very sick, he did bloodwork to see what he could see. He offered to do the diagnostic route but It was 1200$ and not anything we can afford at this moment. He said the fortaz is fantastic for ri and we are doing a 30 day treatment but if It doesn’t work then we’d have to go diagnostic route. He is definitely getting better. He has strength and able to eat now though we still hear him huff a bit and still see some saliva. We did change his enclosure and changed rooms to ensure perfect humidity and have been able to achieve that.
    we were so concerned about him staying angry at us, and whether we continue to hold him after or not. Similarly to when they tag you you continue to hold them, that was kind of my line of thinking but wanted wisdom from y’all who have already been through this.
    thank you again so much for your advice. God bless
    Last edited by Linseylou; 04-21-2020 at 07:27 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linseylou For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-21-2020),dakski (04-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I've given my share of injections to snakes over the years, & done other things they didn't always appreciate...in my experience, snakes do NOT hold grudges. I think
    they do form a general opinion of whether or not they feel "safe" with us, but even though you're holding them when the injection is given, I don't necessarily think they
    associate that with you being the cause. None of mine became defensive & hostile afterwards anyway.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-21-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've given my share of injections to snakes over the years, & done other things they didn't always appreciate...in my experience, snakes do NOT hold grudges. I think
    they do form a general opinion of whether or not they feel "safe" with us, but even though you're holding them when the injection is given, I don't necessarily think they
    associate that with you being the cause. None of mine became defensive & hostile afterwards anyway.
    thank you so much. I really appreciate your wisdom. He’s not hostile or anything normally, just after the injection he’s hissing but never in a strike position. So he is just not happy with It and that’s that lol. Thanks again!