Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,215

2 members and 3,213 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Reptile room and animal update :)

Thought I'd do a quick update on some of our animals and our reptile room now that it's ~95% complete and mostly organized! We've been working really hard on home projects (part of why I've been so absent here), and one of those projects was improving this room.

Please excuse how bare bones all of the cages are. We had a nasty surprise last month when we discovered mites in several enclosures. I'm not 100% sure how we picked them up, as we hadn't added a new animal in I think close to a year(?). Our best guess is that we might have gotten some hitch hikers from our local science center, which has several snakes/reptiles they take out for the kids to see/touch/hold. :/ So we are being abundantly cautious with the paper towels and repeated mite treatments until we are beyond sure the mites are eradicated, as it is a royal pain in the butt to have to clean out and treat that many snakes/enclosures.

The reptile room is fairly small, probably meant to be an office, so we had to get creative with space. We really like the steel component shelving units we have because they're lightweight, sturdy, and easy to assemble. The biggest decision we've made for this space is to transition all of our BPs into a rack system, specifically a Freedom Breeder, which we are completely happy with. The snakes seem to be happy, too.

Going to a rack allowed us to get rid of several glass tanks and move all of our boas into PVC enclosures. Down the line we'll have to decide the direction we want to go for our boas and carpet pythons (ie, do we put the boas in a super big FB rack or leave them in PVC, do some reconfiguring to get PVC cages to fit for the carpet pythons, etc), but we have some time until we need to make any changes. The type-A in me also wants to eventually replace the white Animal Plastics cage and Boa Master cage with ones from Reptile Basics, but that's more of a wish list item than a necessity.

I really like having a dedicated space for the reptiles. With the room being so small and having some heat lamps, we have had no problem with ambient temps. I added a large humidifier to help increase humidity, which has really helped. We chose to do 25% ventilation on the FB tubs since the room can be dry, and the humidity inside the tubs has been holding right around 60%.

As for animal updates, nothing major or too exciting. Grimm has calmed down quite a bit since moving into a PVC cage. I think he appreciates having more space. He will very occasionally strike at the doors, but a lot less than he used to. We can also usually get him out of the cage now for some handling without him being a spaz.

Probably the most relieving news is that Bridget, our very fussy IJ carpet, is officially, finally, reliably eating and has been for a couple of months! (Knock on wood!!) It took more than a YEAR, but now she is eating on her own every meal. She missed one while in shed but thankfully ate no problem the next offering, unlike when we first got her. Just last night we gave her two instead of one fuzzy mice for the first time, and I'm hopeful that if she can keep it up, we'll soon be able to get her on hoppers and beyond.

I'll try to remember to get some snake photos next time they're out!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-20-2020),Bogertophis (04-19-2020),dakski (04-19-2020),EL-Ziggy (04-20-2020),Reptile$ 4 Life (04-19-2020),richardhind1972 (04-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I'll bet it took you a while to plan that maximum use of space... looks well-thought out.

Congrats on getting Grimm & Bridget settled down too. Wow, rotten luck finding mites...that's the bad thing about having all your reptiles
    in one room & close together. The only 2 snakes I ever had (years ago) were both new & came with the mites, but never shared them with
    all the other snakes I had at the time, since enclosures were too spread out...I was able to just treat them solo. Can't imagine dealing with
    an outbreak.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-19-2020 at 11:26 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    Looking good.

Please excuse how bare bones all of the cages are. We had a nasty surprise last month when we discovered mites in several enclosures.
    I feel your pain.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Reptile room and animal update :)

Congrats on the near completion!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Reptile room and animal update :)

Cool critter room! Sorry to hear about the mites. I hope they're long gone.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO