Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

1 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Helpful tips needed

Quote Originally Posted by PartySnake13 View Post
    Yes, morph market keeps records of animals sold.
    It's basic supply and demand. I don't have time to teach you economics 101.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-17-2020),vivi (04-17-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    It's basic supply and demand. I don't have time to teach you economics 101.

You don't have to, I've taken both micro and macro.

How would these apply to someone planning to lose money?
    Last edited by PartySnake13; 04-17-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vivi View Post

Then again, there are some awesome BP morphs that you donīt see often that you could probably get a pretty penny for, so donīt let me discourage you. You could make a lot of money breeding BPs with patience.

Yes, with the current state of the market it's possible to make accounting profit, but extremely unlikely to make economic profit.
    In other words, virtually every breeder who makes decent cash is a competent human being capable of making more money doing something else.

Thanks
    I've already said what iīve needed to and see no need to repeat myself. I don't want to argue.

Be careful about the breeding advice you give, thatīs all I am saying.
    Last edited by vivi; 04-17-2020 at 03:29 PM.
    vivi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    I've already said what iīve needed to and see no need to repeat myself. I don't want to argue.

Be careful about the breeding advice you give, thatīs all I am saying.

Exactly, maybe next time I'll put greater emphasis on how much money will be lost with entry level "for fun/experience" breedings.

I know I personally can't wait to experience it regardless of how much money I lose.
    Last edited by PartySnake13; 04-17-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,878 Times in 4,786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pg0615 View Post
    Hey everyone I'm looking for some general tips and advice on breeding. I've loved pythons in general since I was a teen. I've recently went and purchased my first no I over 15 years, and reconnected with my passion. However, I want to venture into breeding them this time around. I've done research online, but would love input from experienced breeders... None of my bps are anywhere near appropriate size so I know I have plenty of time. Thanks in advance to everyone for input.

1.0 Banana pied
    1.0 Axanthic
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 HET Axanthic
    0.1 Albino-High Contrast
    0.1 Superstripe
    Personal opinion only: I'm not big on axanthics so I'd probably rehome those two snakes unless they are truly exceptional as pets. I have a few single-gene and normal critters I have no intention of breeding but they are great for introducing newbies to snakes.

Given the above group I would find the nicest female with pied and at least one other non-banana gene I could afford, and I'd pair her to the banana pied in a few years. You will at least not go broke breeding them.

Before putting the male in with the female have your incubator, hatchling rack, and thermostats for them ready and function tested. You do not want to find your female laying on a clutch of eggs with the incubator thermostat backordered...

Get a clutch or three under your belt and if you still want to breed or expand your options, you can look into python species that are more challenging to breed successfully.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

PartySnake13 (04-17-2020)

Thanks

Hey everyone I'm looking for some general tips and advice on breeding. I've loved pythons in general since I was a teen. I've recently went and purchased my first no I over 15 years, and reconnected with my passion. However, I want to venture into breeding them this time around. I've done research online, but would love input from experienced breeders... None of my bps are anywhere near appropriate size so I know I have plenty of time. Thanks in advance to everyone for input.

1.0 Banana pied
    1.0 Axanthic
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 HET Axanthic
    0.1 Albino-High Contrast
    0.1 Superstripe
    I second making the banana pied the center of your breeding attempts for now. You can usually get an adult het pied female fairly cheap. You’ll still probably make some normals, but you’ll stand a good chance at having a “break even” clutch to start with. I’d also check on getting a visual pied + female to raise up. You have some nice building blocks if you are patient. Albino pied are also nice but will take some work to get the double recessive. If you are sure about breeding you should really try to get a few more females that will breed well with your best male.

I was were you are about a year ago. I ended up getting a bamboo male and several adult single/double trait females that paired well with bamboo. The best I can do this year is probably a bamboo citrus firefly or a BEL (bamboo mojave). I also made sure I have a local pet store that will take my normals and single trait babies. I won’t really make any money on them but at least I found a good home for some of them at least. I’m looking at the average price per baby. I know I’ll have some $15 snakes but I should get a few $400-$500 snakes as well. I figure if I can average $200 I can fund my hobby for another year.
    Last edited by AzJohn; 04-17-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks
    First of all, I want to say thank you for all the replies as of right now. To answer a few of the questions in the replies and respond to some of the comments: First, as of this moment, no I'm not ready to breed which is why I came to this forum for advice. I've read a lot of material I've found on the web about breeding, but my hopes for this post is to find a reputable breeder who wouldn't mind giving some advice to someone who's trying to learn. I understand that the bp market is overwhelming right now, but this is my hobby, and I've found a passion for it. It isn't about making money to me (and yes I'm willing to take a loss of cash if it fails). I love bps. My goal is to continue to let my passion grow in any aspect of bps. I've been reading a lot about genetics and I get confused here and there, but again that's why I'm trying to get advice from people with experience because I have questions that I can't find answers to about genetics. Again I greatly appreciate all the replies from you guys and hope to learn a lot from all of you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pg0615 For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-17-2020)

Thanks

First of all, I want to say thank you for all the replies as of right now. To answer a few of the questions in the replies and respond to some of the comments: First, as of this moment, no I'm not ready to breed which is why I came to this forum for advice. I've read a lot of material I've found on the web about breeding, but my hopes for this post is to find a reputable breeder who wouldn't mind giving some advice to someone who's trying to learn. I understand that the bp market is overwhelming right now, but this is my hobby, and I've found a passion for it. It isn't about making money to me (and yes I'm willing to take a loss of cash if it fails). I love bps. My goal is to continue to let my passion grow in any aspect of bps. I've been reading a lot about genetics and I get confused here and there, but again that's why I'm trying to get advice from people with experience because I have questions that I can't find answers to about genetics. Again I greatly appreciate all the replies from you guys and hope to learn a lot from all of you.
    Iīm glad to see you are passionate and willing to learn! Keep researching!
    vivi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123