Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

1 members and 3,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Animal Plastics "Lexel" Sealant Cure Time ?

Received my T10 yesterday morning and got it assembled and sealed with the provided Lexel sealant fairly quickly. It was dry to the touch and not tacky within an hour. With two young excited kids, I didn't realize and jumped the gun with taking my Herpstat probes from my BPs current enclosure and getting them located and permanently mounted in the new AP and started up the heat to dial in. I anticipated getting her transferred by the end of the night. Well, once it started heating up, the enclosure definitely had a chemical smell to it and common sense said not a good idea. I then found between the AP documentation and the tube of Lexel that it needs anywhere between 2 days to 2 weeks to "fully cure". I removed the top panel of the AP enclosure to allow more air flow and turned the ceiling fan on. We're currently at about 24 hours. However, I cannot gauge the smell without closing it up and adding heat.

How long did everyone wait before transferring? I know with certain chemicals such as paints, "fully cured" doesn't necessarily reflect the outgassing and safe for use time. Sometimes it just reflects when a product reaches its full hardness.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Animal Plastics "Lexel" Sealant Cure Time ?

I waited 2 days after assembling and sealing my AP enclosures to move the snakes in.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Re: Animal Plastics "Lexel" Sealant Cure Time ?

Interesting discovery - I've determined the smell is coming from the Pro-Products heat panel! I have the top of the enclosure off and having the panel on running unregulated in hopes of whatever outgassing to go away.