Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,443

2 members and 3,441 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Children's Pythons

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I would make two recommendations in addition to info I have already shared:

1. Learn about target training. I prefer it to hook training for my Antaresia, but either would be fine. Target training has been an absolutely invaluable tool in moderating the formerly T. Rex-like feeding response of my Stimson's Python. Now he is 100% clear that if he sees no target, no food is forthcoming. As a result, I can do whatever I need to in terms of changing water, spot cleaning, or just taking him out to hold without dealing with feeding-driven bites. For target and station-training snakes, I highly recommend the youtube videos by Lori Torrini. Here's a link to her channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp9...PX3n4UgznGnlwg

The only snakes I have that I would really trust with children are my Ball Python and my Children's Python, but we'll see if that changes once she gets older. For now, she still qualifies as the most serene snake I've ever owned.

2. Get "The Complete Children's Python" by Justin Julander, Nick Mutton, and Peter Birch.
    Thank you Caitlin, I´ve never heard of target training and I´ll definitely look into it.
    vivi

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    Awesome information. I am willing to work with defensive snakes and a little blood won't deter me- I'm aware snakes have a stronger grip but I´m drawn blood by my feisty cat on a daily basis, I also volunteer at a cat shelter and have had my share of defensive cats, (one gave me a nasty scar under the eye, had to get 5 stitches... Good thing I'm not getting a retic...) I'll get a hook to help limit the feeding response. They seem like very personable snakes, that's kind of what drew me toward them.

That aside, I have some questions. Should I bump up the humidity when they're going into shed? Should I cover any of the tank´s screen lid? I have a 40B tank, the lid has a few holes in it. Should I replace it completely or is there a way to repair it?

Also, I see a lot of variation on the humidity, some sources say as low as possible while I´ve seen some that say 50-60%. Since they´re from Australia i´d suspect they prefer lower humidity...

**ETA** Not super relevant, but one resource said their snake family was Boidae... Can´t believe everything you read.
    Cool! I used to work at a rescue and foster kittens as well, so yea, cat scratches are no fun but love is love.

I had seen that info about the humidity. When in doubt, I check the Australian forums and there is a map regarding climate and humidity of Australia where this species live in the wild. The info I received was low humidity, and that never failed for me. For shedding, do not increase humidity of the tank. You don't have to do anything. A humid hide made of a plastic butter bin and wet paper towels or moss works just fine. Give your snake the option to use it. If he does not, oh well, no worries. He should shed just fine. Mine never uses it, he would stay in his hide for 2 weeks and voila, complete shed.

If your snake ends up with stuck shed for some reason, it is a minor problem usually solved with a 10 min warm bath.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-16-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I had seen that info about the humidity. When in doubt, I check the Australian forums and there is a map regarding climate and humidity of Australia where this species live in the wild. The info I received was low humidity, and that never failed for me. For shedding, do not increase humidity of the tank. You don't have to do anything. A humid hide made of a plastic butter bin and wet paper towels or moss works just fine.

If your snake ends up with stuck shed for some reason, it is a minor problem usually solved with a 10 min warm bath.

Thanks so much. Is it difficult to keep the humidity low? I´d imagine it being easier than keeping it high.
    Last edited by vivi; 04-16-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    vivi

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Thanks so much. Is it difficult to keep the humidity low? I´d imagine it being easier than keeping it high.
    When you heat part of a snake's enclosure, it's going to dry it out. And your snake's enclosure is in a heated house, I'd assume, which dries out the surrounding available air too. So unless you really DO "live in a swamp", you don't have to worry about the humidity.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-16-2020 at 03:47 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    To be honest, I don't monitor humidity for my two Antaresia nearly as closely as I do with my Ball Python, GTP, or Rainbow Boa. I use aspen as a substrate, and when I notice they are going into shed I offer them a humidity hide - but neither has ever opted to use it, and both have had perfect sheds every time so far (Jake the Stimson's is 3 years old; Miso the Children's is just 10 months). Maybe once a week I'll throw a hygrometer in their enclosures and do a quick humidity check. These two and my King snake are the only ones I use aspen with, and since aspen is so drying I do like to check occasionally to be sure I'm not dessicating them, lol.

Just as an FYI, I'm linking below a brief video from Lori Torrini on target training one of her Children's Pythons to moderate a strong feeding response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DBI_OdNePM
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-17-2020),vivi (04-17-2020)

Thanks

To be honest, I don't monitor humidity for my two Antaresia nearly as closely as I do with my Ball Python, GTP, or Rainbow Boa. I use aspen as a substrate, and when I notice they are going into shed I offer them a humidity hide - but neither has ever opted to use it, and both have had perfect sheds every time so far (Jake the Stimson's is 3 years old; Miso the Children's is just 10 months). Maybe once a week I'll throw a hygrometer in their enclosures and do a quick humidity check. These two and my King snake are the only ones I use aspen with, and since aspen is so drying I do like to check occasionally to be sure I'm not dessicating them, lol.

Just as an FYI, I'm linking below a brief video from Lori Torrini on target training one of her Children's Pythons to moderate a strong feeding response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DBI_OdNePM
    Thanks again Catilin, I'll probably offer a humid hide just in case. Can you elaborate on what target training actually does? Does the target mean that there's food coming?
    vivi

Thanks
    Yep. Snakes are really good at associative learning. Target training gets them to respond to a target by moving toward it/tongue-flicking it (but not striking it) followed very quickly by the offering of a meal.

It doesn't take long for them to associate the presence of the target with a meal. If I'm doing other stuff in the enclosure, but not showing the target, they understand there is no meal forthcoming so I don't get that intense feeding response. The video's just a few minutes long and illustrates it pretty well. It's a simple but effective training method. I also like it because it's a different form of interaction, and the learning opportunity is just one more little enrichment boost.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-17-2020),vivi (04-17-2020)

Thanks

Yep. Snakes are really good at associative learning. Target training gets them to respond to a target by moving toward it/tongue-flicking it (but not striking it) followed very quickly by the offering of a meal.

It doesn't take long for them to associate the presence of the target with a meal. If I'm doing other stuff in the enclosure, but not showing the target, they understand there is no meal forthcoming so I don't get that intense feeding response. The video's just a few minutes long and illustrates it pretty well. It's a simple but effective training method. I also like it because it's a different form of interaction, and the learning opportunity is just one more little enrichment boost.
    Ohh, I get it. That's really cool, I think people underestimate the intelligence of snakes.
    Last edited by vivi; 04-17-2020 at 12:06 PM.
    vivi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-17-2020)

Thanks

Ohh, I get it. That's really cool, I think people underestimate the intelligence of snakes.
    Snake intelligence is often underestimated, and unfortunately the discussions about this tend to get tangled up with the folks who anthropomorphize their snakes, which doesn't do any of us any favors. I don't expect or want my snakes to be like a dog or cat, but they certainly aren't just instinct-driven tubes. This 2019 literature review ("Given the Cold Shoulder: A Review of the Scientific Literature for Evidence of Reptile Sentience") is a good overview: https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/9/10/821/htm

Also a good article on target training to teach snakes to voluntarily shift between enclosures:
    https://spring2019.iaabcjournal.org/...xzzA1tVZFejMFQ

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-17-2020),hilabeans (04-17-2020),vivi (04-17-2020)

Thanks

Snake intelligence is often underestimated, and unfortunately the discussions about this tend to get tangled up with the folks who anthropomorphize their snakes, which doesn't do any of us any favors. I don't expect or want my snakes to be like a dog or cat, but they certainly aren't just instinct-driven tubes. This 2019 literature review ("Given the Cold Shoulder: A Review of the Scientific Literature for Evidence of Reptile Sentience") is a good overview: https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/9/10/821/htm

Also a good article on target training to teach snakes to voluntarily shift between enclosures:
    https://spring2019.iaabcjournal.org/...xzzA1tVZFejMFQ
    Anthropomorphism is a bit too far to go for snakes, but you can't say they are stupid. They are do rely on instincts but so does every other animal and that doesn't mean they aren't intelligent. (Lots of people claim that they can LOSE their instincts, that's ridiculous if you ask me.) Those are great articles, by the way. Thanks for the reply.
    vivi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast