Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,583

1 members and 2,582 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Best Midsized Pet Monitor

I have always loved monitor lizards and am considering getting my first one this summer. I have been doing tons of research and I am thinking about getting either a peach throat or savannah, but I am open to suggestions on the best medium sized monitor or perhaps a large dwarf monitor as a first monitor. Space is not an issue for me as my house is huge. Which would be better for a first monitor: a peach throat, savannah or something else?

Thanks
    Well - for your first monitor - you can't go wrong with an Ackie, or a trio of Ackies. Males can reach 24-28". A single male Ackie can be kept in a 4' x 2' x 2' cage. For a Trio of 1 male/2 females - I would suggest a 72" Long x 24" wide x 30" tall. To allow for more digging room for the females.

While - Savannahs may be super cheap - it is often because they are wild caught or came from a WC gravid female. In either case - Savannahs can often die at less than 5 years old without a reason. Captive bred individuals are harder to find. Even then savannahs can still be quite aggressive. So they really aren't a good choice as a first monitor.
    Snakes
    1.0 Pure Hog Island Boas (Boa imperator) - "Boss"
    0.1 Tamaulipas Cloud Forest Boa (Boa imperator) - "Elena"
    0.1 Ivory/Super YB Ball Python (Python regius) - "Ivory"
    1.1 Cape York Spotted Python (Antaresia maculosa) - "Irwin & Iris"
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Acrantophis dumerili) - "Lysse"
    1.0 75% Super Dwarf Retic (Malayopython reticulatus) - "Kal"

Lizards
    0.1 Yellow Ackie Monitor
    (Varanus acanthurus) - "Gigi"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Krj2501 For This Useful Post:

Reptile$ 4 Life (05-08-2020)

Thanks
    Ackies are indeed a great first time monitor. They will teach you a lot about what it takes to keep monitors and typically don't have bad attitudes given enough time working with them. I would strongly advise against starting off with anything from the indicus complex (mangroves, peach throats, melinus, etc) as their care is less forgiving, they tend to be really shy until they're fully acclimated (empty cage syndrome can be a drag), and even a small peach throat can really cut you good with a bite, moreso than ackies and even savannahs. Plus the vast majority of peach throats are going to be wild caught and not in the best shape when they arrive state side.