Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,259

1 members and 3,258 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Stuck shed on chin and mental groove

Hey Peeps

Hope all has been well under circumstances ....

We have hit winter and I needed to make some changes. All has been rectified now finally.

My only problem is my one royal has a small piece of stuck shed basically his whole chin and lips beneath only till where his neck starts.
    I have tried doing the soaking method with damp towel and the half inch of luke warm water. I must add this helped a lot with the neck skin and a lot of the old skin came off lovely but there is one stubborn piece , the chin piece.

Now i dont want to go ahead and yank it, because im sure this will hurt. he is very calm about the situation but he is scratching away in his enclosure and is clearly irritated. by it. its the second day now after his shed.

His whole shed was fine just his chin and neck were tiny pieces ugghhhhhh

Do i let him be ?
    Do i try again a bit later ?

If i let him be will he have a problem with feeding ?

all advise and critics appreciated .
    If you haven't learned something new today ,,,, go listen to: Gang Starr - Moment of truth. ​R.I.P

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    This happens now & then...not just with BPs...and whether your snake will eat is up to him, some it bothers more than others, & personally, I always step in & remove it.

I know you're hoping for an easier answer but there isn't one...it doesn't get any better by waiting. I first humidify to the max- whether a shallow soak or just damp towel-then we have a tussle until I win. Be slow & gentle about it...as if it was YOUR chin...but what works for me is to gently rub along the edge of the lower jaw to try to get the chin piece to peel. My fingernails are short & I'm assuming yours are (you don't want to injure his mouth with your fingernail). Now your snake is going to resist this, but you're still going to win if you decide to.

It's a stop & start process, with little breaks for the snake. You could also try using a 'rubber thumb' (like they sell in office products to put on thumb or finger, for traction when counting money or turning many pages of paper). Anyway, the best way to get it off in one piece is removing front to back, so if you can loosen right at the mouth's front edge & grip that, you may get it off in one or few pieces. Since your snake will be trying hard to avoid everything you do, it's a bit like trying to balance on a moving log bobbing in a river... Have fun...

BTW, I do not think this is actually painful for the snake, but they don't like restraint, nor do they like us in their faces...I can't blame them. I've never had a snake bite me for doing this either, but we're both glad when it's done.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-14-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert420 (04-14-2020)

Thanks

Re: Stuck shed on chin and mental groove

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    This happens now & then...not just with BPs...and whether your snake will eat is up to him, some it bothers more than others, & personally, I always step in & remove it.

I know you're hoping for an easier answer but there isn't one...it doesn't get any better by waiting. I first humidify to the max- whether a shallow soak or just damp towel-then we have a tussle until I win. Be slow & gentle about it...as if it was YOUR chin...but what works for me is to gently rub along the edge of the lower jaw to try to get the chin piece to peel. My fingernails are short & I'm assuming yours are (you don't want to injure his mouth with your fingernail). Now your snake is going to resist this, but you're still going to win if you decide to.

It's a stop & start process, with little breaks for the snake. You could also try using a 'rubber thumb' (like they sell in office products to put on thumb or finger, for traction when counting money or turning many pages of paper). Anyway, the best way to get it off in one piece is removing front to back, so if you can loosen right at the mouth's front edge & grip that, you may get it off in one or few pieces. Since your snake will be trying hard to avoid everything you do, it's a bit like trying to balance on a moving log bobbing in a river... Have fun...

BTW, I do not think this is actually painful for the snake, but they don't like restraint, nor do they like us in their faces...I can't blame them. I've never had a snake bite me for doing this either, but we're both glad when it's done.
    Hay bro I went all in , but wowwwwwwww they are strong ,, it felt like he would be able to break off his own neck!!! I won and he his a happy camper I couldn't do the full tussle ,,He was too strong and I was just too afraid , in the end a piece came off and my girlfriend came to the rescue with her much smaller hands

There is now a tiny piece left on the side of his jaw as big as a match stick head which i decided to leave for now and check on him tomorrow again , its like an instinct for me to not hurt my boy. Haha what has to be done has to be done lets hope this is a thing of the past.

Thanks Bud appreciated from the depths.
    Last edited by Albert420; 04-14-2020 at 01:50 PM.
    If you haven't learned something new today ,,,, go listen to: Gang Starr - Moment of truth. ​R.I.P

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert420 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-14-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Re: Stuck shed on chin and mental groove

Quote Originally Posted by Albert420 View Post
    Hay bro I went all in , but wowwwwwwww they are strong ,, it felt like he would be able to break off his own neck!!! I won and he his a happy camper I couldn't do the full tussle ,,He was too strong and I was just too afraid , in the end a piece came off and my girlfriend came to the rescue with her much smaller hands

There is now a tiny piece left on the side of his jaw as big as a match stick head which i decided to leave for now and check on him tomorrow again , its like an instinct for me to not hurt my boy. Haha what has to be done has to be done lets hope this is a thing of the past.

Thanks Bud appreciated from the depths.
    First, I am not now, nor have I ever been a "bro", lol. And second, they probably CAN break their own neck, or at least do damage, that's why I tried to convey it's a "give & take" process ("take little breaks") but I'm glad you got thru it at least. Yes, snakes are strong!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-14-2020 at 03:05 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)