Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,360

2 members and 2,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Plastic Tub Enclosure...How many air holes?

Okay clearly there's a lot of people who wonder about this, and the answer is never certain, so maybe there's no real way of knowing:

HOW MANY AIR HOLES DO I NEED??

BUT WAIT, before you reply with "it depends on your [environment details]", let me be clear. I am not asking the how many to maintain proper temps, proper humidity, maybe not even "sanitary" air flow. The question is simply:

What is the minimum number of air holes needed so that my snake does not suffocate over time?

Now, I realize this is maybe something that people just don't know for sure, I'll take that. And I also understand that snakes use much less oxygen than humans. But is there anyone who is relatively certain of how low on air holes you can go? Because I feel like I could poke a pin size hole, have a tiny water bowl, and the humidity in a large tub wouldn't get so high but the snake would suffocate.

I have been desperately searching for an answer, only to find answers that are about *how* to make air holes, or *it depends on the environment*, and I really want to know if my snake is just plain safe with X number of air holes.

Note: Let's say one air hole is a pencil sized hole in the side of the tub, and I'm assuming right now that bare minimum regardless of oxygen flow is one one each side (but would that theoretically be enough??)

Thanks

Re: Plastic Tub Enclosure...How many air holes?

Well, when you consider that snakes are shipped in cardboard boxes with no holes and tight styrofoam padding, and deli containers don't have very big holes or very many, and snakes being sold spend several days in them sometimes, I'd guess that your holes don't need to be all that large, but placement is probably more important - you do want good cross-ventiliation. You also don't want holes so big that your snake can push his way out. My snake lives in tank with a mesh top, but his travel bin has three small (about 1/4") holes on each side. Never had issues with it.
    Last edited by Spicey; 04-12-2020 at 10:11 PM.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Type of tub? Type of rack? Humidity in the room? Substrate? Current humidity in the tub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I don't think there's a single correct answer because people are right to say that it depends on the environment and the size of the enclosure. If it's more humid you need more air holes. If the tub is bigger you need more air holes to get enough ventilation. It also depends on what you mean by "safe" because even if the snake is able to breathe, the environment might be too humid to be healthy long term.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-13-2020)

Thanks

I’ve read that about 10-20 2-4mm(diameter) air holes on each side is sufficient enough, and you can add more depending on temperature and humidity. But from what I’ve read and seen I think this range is good. But of course I cannot say for certain. It definitely does change depending on your humidity
    and temperate requirements(sorry I know it’s not what you want to hear, and everyone has said it already)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    I don't think there's a single correct answer because people are right to say that it depends on the environment and the size of the enclosure. If it's more humid you need more air holes. If the tub is bigger you need more air holes to get enough ventilation. It also depends on what you mean by "safe" because even if the snake is able to breathe, the environment might be too humid to be healthy long term.

See but, in response to you and the other people who continue to say it depends on humidity, it's not answering the question. Again, my question is NOT how many air holes to have perfect husbandry, my question is, how many air holes minimum for proper oxygen flow for the sole purpose of preventing the snake from suffocating. I understand that proper humidity is required for proper husbandry and the health of snake , but people don't seem to realize that these are two different questions to answer the overarching question of "How many air holes". But I don't need the answer to the overarching question, because I can see the temperature and humidity myself. What I can't see is how much oxygen is in the tub, and won't be able to tell if there is enough air until my snake is dead, at which point I'll know that....there weren't.

If people don't know the answer, simply don't answer or say so. But people are answering a different question from what I'm asking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faith.luu View Post
    I’ve read that about 10-20 2-4mm(diameter) air holes on each side is sufficient enough, and you can add more depending on temperature and humidity. But from what I’ve read and seen I think this range is good. But of course I cannot say for certain. It definitely does change depending on your humidity
    and temperate requirements(sorry I know it’s not what you want to hear, and everyone has said it already)

This is closer to the answer to my question. Theoretically, minimum 10-20 holes for oxygen, more depending on other stuff, but not less. At least that's how I'm interpreting your answer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gorilla_glueman For This Useful Post:

Faith.luu (04-14-2020)

Thanks
    I'm going to start off by saying I can't answer your question, but if I was trying to find an answer I would first start off by doing some research on the breathing rate of the species in question. It is going to take some effort and depends on a variety of different variables: size of the animal, temperature of the air, stress level of animal, or movement of said animal during testing.

Then you're going to need to find out the amount of oxygen inside the enclosure in question, so you need its dimensions. Then you should be able to make some theoretical conclusions yourself. IF YOU DO ACTUALLY try something like this it will be animal cruelty.

Most enclosures are not airtight and would therefore be void for your theoretical test. In my rack the tubs do not sit 100% flush so there is a small amount of an air gap which may or may not be enough to provide adequate oxygen to the snakes, the holes I put in the tubs provide extra oxygen and control the temps and humidity.

Good luck and let us know what you find

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ba11er For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-13-2020)

Thanks
    You aren't going to get an answer because the number of air holes depends on the size and environment of the enclosure.

I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth.
    vivi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla_glueman View Post

Now, I realize this is maybe something that people just don't know for sure, I'll take that.

Looks like you've answered your own question, in some situations holes may not even be required for a ball python to sustain life; however, I would recommend basing your holes on humidity regulation.

If you're nervous about drilling away on a brand new tub, then I recommend using the smallest drill bit you have and starting out with a couple holes on both the left and right side, then test the humidity, if it's too humid then progressively add holes until humidity is optimal.
    Last edited by PartySnake13; 04-14-2020 at 12:49 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PartySnake13 For This Useful Post:

Spicey (04-14-2020)