Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,460

1 members and 3,459 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: So... 5 year old adult male with no prior problems has stopped eating for 7 month

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    That's extremely interesting. So often moving an adult can kick a food strike into gear.

Just goes to show there's not a "one size fits all" approach to these goofballs.

Thanks for the insight, Deb. I certainly NEVER would have thought of that.

Good luck, Red, please keep us posted.
    BP are definitely something else those that do fine will shut down with changes and those that do poorly will be triggered and do better with changes, definitely a species that keeps you guessing.

And trust me the first time I heard of a car trip I was very skeptical as well until I tried it and it worked.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-10-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-10-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: So... 5 year old adult male with no prior problems has stopped eating for 7 month

My suggestion would be to take it on a car ride to a good exotic vet. Specifically because of it losing weight. Maybe the ride might help and the vet might have some insight if it is sick or has a problem of some kind whether it be physical internal problem or due to some kind of bug or infection.

But first I would give the snake a ride to the pet store or somehow get live mice or live chick. I don't think feeding live means necessarily they will be stuck on live. To me the number one important thing (especially with weight loss and it being skinny) is to get it eating again. You can worry about getting back to f/t later.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-10-2020),GoingPostal (04-11-2020),redshepherd (04-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    I was just thinking: BPs need higher temps & humidity compared to many other species, plus they're notoriously shy & laid-back...so maybe because everyone is SO
    careful about keeping them so "enclosed"...just maybe this is a reminder that NONE of the snakes we keep ever spend their ENTIRE lives in a "box", no matter how
    perfect the "weather" is inside it, & they all need to get OUTSIDE now & then.

I'm not specifically referring to BPs, but over the years, I've also noticed that my snake's appetites tend to improve after some warm sunshine. I like to stroll around
    my property holding them (not a fan of putting them on the ground, where I live there are too many risks like ticks etc), & I've successfully improved many appetites
    this way, so maybe this is just another way of "taking them for a drive". Food for thought...

I tend to think it's the natural sunlight & UV, but the fresh air sure gets their attention too. So maybe it's not about the 'make' of their rides after all?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-10-2020 at 02:54 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (04-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I went back through my records, and Shayna, my only BP, averages 4-5 months without eating in the winter, and a little over 5 was her longest fast. She has gone 8 months with only a few meals, not zero meals.

When you say "significant weight loss," what do you mean? Shayna will routinely lose 5-8% of her body weight in a fast and then gain it back again when she starts eating again. I set my worry meter at about 10% weight loss.

Having said that, even then, I don't freak out and look at other cues.

Shayna is very inactive in fast and stays mostly on the cool side of the tank. She does not (generally) cruise and certainly doesn't seem like she's looking for food if she does. Occasionally she will urinate (I make sure all my snakes have fresh water always) and towards the beginning of the fast I might get a poop or two.

I take the last known dry weight to measure the weight loss.

I wouldn't try live, yet.

So, in summary, question wise:

1. How much weight has he lost (total and from what weight did he start at)?

2. How's his activity?

3. Is there at least urine and urates occasionally?

As stated before, I trust you on temps, but one thought, aside from a car ride, is to adjust temps a tiny bit or humidity the same. Make him think like things are changing.

Of course, only if your temps aren't near the top of safe range on the hot side (for everyone else's benefit as well).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (04-11-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Disclaimer: I worked my way through undergrad and grad school as a vet tech, including exotics practices, but that was a long time ago. Still, these things in combination worry me: staying on the warm side; noticeable weight loss; the fact that the snake just seems 'off' and listless to you.

Given all of those things in addition to the feeding strike, I'd get him to your exotics vet and see if there's an underlying illness affecting him. I'm not trying to be overly negative and I really hope it's just a classic BP-style hunger strike, but a few things you mentioned sparked some extra concern in my mind.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-10-2020),dakski (04-10-2020),GoingPostal (04-11-2020),redshepherd (04-11-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Disclaimer: I worked my way through undergrad and grad school as a vet tech, including exotics practices, but that was a long time ago. Still, these things in combination worry me: staying on the warm side; noticeable weight loss; the fact that the snake just seems 'off' and listless to you.

Given all of those things in addition to the feeding strike, I'd get him to your exotics vet and see if there's an underlying illness affecting him. I'm not trying to be overly negative and I really hope it's just a classic BP-style hunger strike, but a few things you mentioned sparked some extra concern in my mind.
    Your take is much appreciated here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (04-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post

I must have missed the warm side and listless.

Please take what I said earlier with a grain of salt and I tend to agree with this.

P.S. My apologies. Fighting a fever and probably not as focused to detail as I normally am.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-10-2020),Caitlin (04-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Guys, Deborah's suggestion literally worked for real!! LOL thank you!

I actually didn't take him on a drive (because I don't have anywhere to drive lol), but I just figured it might be something about the lengthy change in environment... and added stress as mentioned previously, that snaps them out of it? So I took him out to handle and slither around in the room here and there for really a flat two hours. And then I switched his enclosure with another snake's enclosure as well, and completely changed the interior/decor so that everything is new.

I offered today which is about 5 days later, I think (I already lost track of time nowadays) and he took the f/t rat right away! Amazing. Hahah breaking a 7-8 month fast just like that.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 04-21-2020 at 09:19 PM.

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogertophis (04-21-2020),Caitlin (04-22-2020),CALM Pythons (04-22-2020),ckuhn003 (04-21-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-22-2020),dakski (04-21-2020),GoingPostal (04-22-2020),jmcrook (04-21-2020),MissterDog (04-22-2020),Phirou (04-21-2020),RickyNY (04-22-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Guys, Deborah's suggestion literally worked for real!! LOL thank you!

I actually didn't take him on a drive (because I don't have anywhere to drive lol), but I just figured it might be something about the lengthy change in environment... and added stress as mentioned previously, that snaps them out of it? So I took him out to handle and slither around in the room here and there for really a flat two hours. And then I switched his enclosure with another snake's enclosure as well, and completely changed the interior/decor so that everything is new.

I offered today which is about 5 days later, I think (I already lost track of time nowadays) and he took the f/t rat right away! Amazing. Hahah breaking a 7-8 month fast just like that.
    That's awesome!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Should note for any new keepers reading this in the future that this is 100% not the reason why your new ball python isn't eating LOL

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-22-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-22-2020),jmcrook (04-22-2020)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast