Hey all
I have been raising reptiles and everything from spiders to snakes to water dragons all that. I did a lot of research and decided to pursue my new hobby which is my savannah monitor. So far it has been a great experience and I'm full on board and loving it. The issue I'm having is getting him used to me. I am well aware that monitors are not "like dogs"but he is not in the mood at all to be picked up. Once I have him out of this tank he never hisses at me or tries to bite me but in his tank he will back away from being picked up and will hiss sometimes. I have definitely made progress so far when I first got him he would hiss and try to bite, now he never tries to bite and tolerates my hand by him at least just not on him. He is only 7 weeks old I just want to be sure I do this whole "taming" thing the right way. I decided to back off trying to pick him up all the time so I dont stress him and have started today just keeping myself busy in his tank talking to him but not trying to pick him up. Is this the right approach? Or should I go back to saying screw it and essentially chasing him around his cage till I grab him and pick him up? Is this just the normal baby monitor experience?

Habitat for him is spot on with temps and all that and he's eating well and all that so it's not a sick thing it's just a doesn't want me to pick him up thing.