Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,349

3 members and 2,346 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 9,868 Times in 4,781 Posts

Coronavirus Pandemic & Future Plans

Have you made any keeping/breeding/selling/buying plan changes as a result of the pandemic and the predicted economic fallout?

I hadn't planned on buying any new snakes even before the pandemic, and was just going to focus on breeding Savus and Tarahumaras. The only change I'm making is to add more racks or enclosures in case I'm asked to take in rescues.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-07-2020),Bogertophis (04-07-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-07-2020),GoingPostal (04-07-2020),John1982 (04-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    I've been wanting to buy a house / land for more space to build a full snake room, plus outdoor enclosures. Housing prices are probably going to dip, so hopefully I can make some moves then.

I just got that caiman, so I probably won't get anything for a minute. I like to wait a few months between animals, so I'm not hoarding. Though I have been looking for an adult male ETB for awhile.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-07-2020)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Coronavirus Pandemic & Future Plans

Had already paired up some boas before this hit, so I'm a tad worried about selling those babies and wouldn't have paired them had I know this was coming. Otherwise no change to plans, just getting as new rack later this year but no new additions at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I've been wanting to buy a house / land for more space to build a full snake room, plus outdoor enclosures. Housing prices are probably going to dip, so hopefully I can make some moves then.
    Same here and the possible dip or at least hold in prices is the only silver lining to this whole pandemic.
    For the Horde!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-07-2020)

Thanks

Re: Coronavirus Pandemic & Future Plans

The biggest hit is mostly to the conventions. Pet stores are deemed essential, so you can still get access to feeders. Hardware stores (at least locally) are also deemed essential, so you can still build your enclosures. There is nothing anywhere (so far as I know) prohibiting private sales of reptiles. And with more people staying home (pets are good for staying sane), the increase of unemployment benefits, and the government stipend checks, I don't think there will be many more "homeless" pets than usual. Snakes and other reptiles aren't that costly to keep, when compared to more common pets, such as cats and dogs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to andeal For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-07-2020)

Thanks
    All I´m doing is saving up for my first snake which I probably won´t be getting for a while, I do not want to impulse buy anything. Hopefully it will be a Savu but we´ll see. I picked up a 40B tank a few days ago via craigslist and cleaned it, I have to repair some of it so its something to do during isolation. Hopefully getting some stuff from Home Depot to make the background. No changes really, just continuing with my snake related activities and research to keep me busy.
    vivi

Registered User alchemyreptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    I can't find paper towels anywhere! No but really the only change is I'm focused more on my rodent breeding end of things, as all the pet stores around me seam to be sold out of feeders. Having all the reptile shows canceld is not great but my online sales for snakes is up. More people are home looking online.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    No changes here. I plan on getting a female Poki Suri for my male in a few months. I'm anxiously awaiting their birth. I want to try my hand at breeding a litter in 5 or 6 years when she is mature enough.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-07-2020)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No big changes the animals I needed to invest in were already purchase in January.

Breeding wise I usually do this in 2 to 3 phases depending on how many animals I pair (November, March, July) so phase 2 has been pushed back a little bit, no point in breeding the same numbers if there is no demand right now.

Rodent breeding will be increased as plan (new rack more breeders) because I like to stay ahead no matter what is happening.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    I no longer breed any snakes by choice, but if I were, I just wouldn't right now...I think the pandemic is going to be with us for a long time & so will most of your offspring.

Just my opinion, have no crystal ball...but with so many out of work, food & housing come before more pets...not saying you won't find a few good buyers, but I'd worry
    about all the irresponsible ones, & keeping lots of offspring long-term isn't as much fun as it sounds. Good luck everyone...I know how hard it is not to go ahead with plans regardless, & I'm glad I don't have to make that choice.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-07-2020 at 04:52 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-07-2020)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I don't breed and no plans on adding any new snakes/reptiles. I did end up with another BP recently anyways so he needs an adult cage, I'd planned on ordering some this year but now that's likely getting pushed back to next. I'm doubting my summer job will exist at this point and I'll be losing out on hours I normally get when others vacation, many of which have been cancelled now so money will be tight all year most likely. I do plan on using part of the refund coming to stock up on feeders though.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-07-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast