Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

1 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    3 plus years? If I recall correctly your first snakes were royal pythons and you got them around January 2018. My apologies if I'm wrong on that but I think I remember your first post here, unless I have you mixed up with another.

I want to add a quick note on dropping a diamond (Morelia Spilota Spilota) into the mix whether it be soon or later.

You seem to like researching and learning about your reptiles which is good, we all should. The diamond pythons require some unique care and need some rather specific husbandry.

Years back some of us here on the board tried to help another member that unfortunately didn't want to listen to the care advice we were offering.

The snake was a rescue from another family member and sadly, it died.

IF you go the diamond route, you'll want a rather large enclosure eventually (adulthood) so you can have big gradients and various temperature zones. The care for diamond pythons differs greatly compared to the other carpets. They are beautiful snakes but you really need to be on point with their care. They are not widely kept because they are more involved than the other carpets.

19 animals seems like a lot to closely care for, but we all have our comfort zone when it comes to the hobby. I'm good with 4 and some people think that is a lot.

That aside, if you get into the morelia side of things please focus specifically on the care of the diamond pythons if that's your choice. It is not rocket science, however they require advanced care. My snake room won't allow me to care for a diamond properly IMO so I opted for a coastal instead. It's something to consider if you run your room at fairly constant temperatures.

Sorry to get off topic a bit. Whenever I hear about diamond pythons I'm reminded of the situation here years ago. Just make sure they are right for you and you for them.

Good luck with the collection!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

67temp (04-17-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-17-2020),jmcrook (04-17-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: What it takes to care for a medium size collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    3 plus years? If I recall correctly your first snakes were royal pythons and you got them around January 2018. My apologies if I'm wrong on that but I think I remember your first post here, unless I have you mixed up with another.

I want to add a quick note on dropping a diamond (Morelia Spilota Spilota) into the mix whether it be soon or later.

You seem to like researching and learning about your reptiles which is good, we all should. The diamond pythons require some unique care and need some rather specific husbandry.

Years back some of us here on the board tried to help another member that unfortunately didn't want to listen to the care advice we were offering.

The snake was a rescue from another family member and sadly, it died.

IF you go the diamond route, you'll want a rather large enclosure eventually (adulthood) so you can have big gradients and various temperature zones. The care for diamond pythons differs greatly compared to the other carpets. They are beautiful snakes but you really need to be on point with their care. They are not widely kept because they are more involved than the other carpets.

19 animals seems like a lot to closely care for, but we all have our comfort zone when it comes to the hobby. I'm good with 4 and some people think that is a lot.

That aside, if you get into the morelia side of things please focus specifically on the care of the diamond pythons if that's your choice. It is not rocket science, however they require advanced care. My snake room won't allow me to care for a diamond properly IMO so I opted for a coastal instead. It's something to consider if you run your room at fairly constant temperatures.

Sorry to get off topic a bit. Whenever I hear about diamond pythons I'm reminded of the situation here years ago. Just make sure they are right for you and you for them.

Good luck with the collection!
    Thank you for advice about diamonds. I will keep learning. They might not be right for me. Will have to see. Will take any advice on their care or links to good resources.

I don't mind advice on how to care for any animal I have. I am always open to new information that is helpful. Also keep in mind that I married into almost half my collection.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 04-17-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Thank you for advice about diamonds. I will keep learning. They might not be right for me. Will have to see. Will take any advice on their care or links to good resources.

I don't mind advice on how to care for any animal I have. I am always open to new information that is helpful. Also keep in mind that I married into almost half my collection.
    The Complete Carpet Python (Nick Mutton Justin Julander) is the ultimate source, there are a lot of good Aussie python books out as well.

If you like retics, and I know you do, you would probably anyway a coastal.

BUT,,,, 19 is a lot of enjoyment as it is!

Get that book, or wait for the next addition. Its going to be great!

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

While I continue to be a great herps keeper and provide excellent care for my animals, I am yet to understand why the bullying continues or is tolerated by admin. Thought this site was a place to share experiences and information or collect others information or experience that might provide the community of keepers/ fans a place to grow knowledge and understanding of herps. I do everything I can to ensure my animals are healthy and provided more than just basic care and quality of life. I do not nor will I ever seek your approval on what I collect in any way. Helpful advice on husbandry, healthcare, or other requested information is always welcome from any source if it helps me be better at improving my animals care of quality of life. Please focus on that over beating someone up with your feelings on weather they should collect, have, or keep. This does not help the community.

It's because of your own posts. You post things people may not agree with, that seem posted to be sensational, or that go against other things you posted before. You're given advice, you say you hear it and then continue on anyways. You made multiple threads in 2019 about how you won't breed and the ethics of breeding, now, you are breeding a bunch (you can change your mind, that's fine...). You say you do lots of research and it seems like you do, but then you breed your corns without giving your female a lay box. You seem good intentioned but your actions do not always follow your words. And then you get so defensive.
    I keep saying I'm done and I think I finally am. Good luck and please listen when people try to help.
    For the Horde!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-17-2020),jmcrook (04-17-2020),PitOnTheProwl (05-06-2020),Reinz (04-20-2020)

Thanks

The Complete Carpet Python (Nick Mutton Justin Julander) is the ultimate source, there are a lot of good Aussie python books out as well.

If you like retics, and I know you do, you would probably anyway a coastal.

BUT,,,, 19 is a lot of enjoyment as it is!

Get that book, or wait for the next addition. Its going to be great!
    The Complete Carpet Python (Nick Mutton Justin Julander) is already in my reading collection. Love the book. I am not in a hurry to add another animal at this time I am not looking at all. I am always reading.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    It's because of your own posts. You post things people may not agree with, that seem posted to be sensational, or that go against other things you posted before. You're given advice, you say you hear it and then continue on anyways. You made multiple threads in 2019 about how you won't breed and the ethics of breeding, now, you are breeding a bunch (you can change your mind, that's fine...). You say you do lots of research and it seems like you do, but then you breed your corns without giving your female a lay box. You seem good intentioned but your actions do not always follow your words. And then you get so defensive.
    I keep saying I'm done and I think I finally am. Good luck and please listen when people try to help.
    I don't always agree with you. Thank you for trying to give good advice. The animals we choose to breed was only after requests from multiple stores in the area for local breeders and working hard on making sure my animals are healthy. I did not give a laying box in the beginning because I thought her hide was ok for that. I now have a better understanding of her needs. I will always receive advice on my animals. Sure I might not always fallow the advice but I will happily receive it and weigh it. I also get local advice from breeder friends that are within arms reach. I seam to get good advice from them more often than not. I did not reach out at first but corns seam to be easyish for almost everything. I started small. Also there is a high demand for boas in the area. My boas are the smaller kind so I came to an agreement with local stores, have healthy animals, and have a vet on standby if needed. Not perfect or know everything and will never take that approach.

Thank you again for providing your advice. Please don't hesitate to provide any advice you feel is relevant.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 04-17-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

3 plus years? If I recall correctly your first snakes were royal pythons and you got them around January 2018.

BINGO!!! Barely two years. Just one of the many fabrications, inconsistencies and hypocrisy.....

While I continue to be a great herps keeper and provide excellent care for my animals, I am yet to understand why the bullying continues or is tolerated by admin. Thought this site was a place to share experiences and information or collect others information or experience that might provide the community of keepers/ fans a place to grow knowledge and understanding of herps. I do everything I can to ensure my animals are healthy and provided more than just basic care and quality of life. I do not nor will I ever seek your approval on what I collect in any way. Helpful advice on husbandry, healthcare, or other requested information is always welcome from any source if it helps me be better at improving my animals care of quality of life. Please focus on that over beating someone up with your feelings on weather they should collect, have, or keep. This does not help the community.
    It's not bullying, it's calling you out on EXACTLY what you say shouldn't be done. You STILL have barely two years of experience. Now you're breeding multiple species because a local store needs animals? Months after your whole to breed or not to breed thread.... It just makes no sense. And surprise surprise, rookie mistakes on the first clutch...

You go against so many standards of practice and pat yourself on the back every chance you get. Don't even get me started on your "educational shows".

Yup, you're right, this is an educational place. Hence calling out people who think they're more experienced than they are and giving conflicting, inconsistent info. You say you're here to learn, yet go against almost everything experienced keepers advise.

You can call me a bully all you want. I'm tough enough to handle it. But I call it like I see it, and I see so much wrong in your threads, from day one. You conflict yourself constantly. You follow questionable practices and act like you're the greatest thing to happen to snakes since rodents.
    But hey, you do you. Just be prepared to be called out when it's justified if you're going to share on a public forum.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 04-17-2020 at 11:58 AM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-17-2020),Reinz (04-20-2020),vivi (04-17-2020),wnateg (04-17-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I have 11 snakes and it's pretty easy to care for them. I change water twice a week, spot clean daily, and deep clean every 2 months. I feed them biweekly on average but my female bullsnake eats every 10 days or so. I spend roughly $800 annually on feeding them and another $500 on bedding. My biggest expense is definitely housing them. I'm waiting on two more 4ft enclosures from AP but next year I'll have to get a couple of 6 or 8 ft enclosures for my larger snakes. I don't plan on getting any more snakes until I get caught up on caging but that is subject to change.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 04-17-2020 at 12:10 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

67temp (04-17-2020),GoingPostal (04-17-2020),Reptile$ 4 Life (04-19-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I have 11 snakes and it's pretty easy to care for them. I change water twice a week, spot clean daily, and deep clean every 2 months. I feed them biweekly on average but my female bullsnake eats every 10 days or so. I spend roughly $800 annually on feeding them and another $500 on bedding. My biggest expense is definitely housing them. I'm waiting on two more 4ft enclosures from AP but next year I'll have to get a couple of 6 or 8 ft enclosures for my larger snakes. I don't plan on getting any more snakes until I get caught up on caging but that is subject to change.
    Thank you for sharing.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Can we please not make this a thread I need to close or move to quarantine?

I know everyone is just giving their opinion but every now and again it has a habit ( from previous threads ) of getting way too close to this TOS;

Quote Originally Posted by T.O.S

3. No Hate Speak. This includes, but is not limited to: cursing; threats of violence; racial, gender, religious, or sexual slurs; personal attacks; and speech intended to cause or further a "flame war" or personal vendetta. This includes vindictive use of the Reputation System and Private Messages. Ultimately, it will be up to the staff (the mods and ultimately the admins) to determine if any given post or thread has crossed these lines.
    This thread has obviously not reached that level - and I would really like it to stay that way.

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

vivi (04-19-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12