Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,186

1 members and 3,185 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Some Questions..

Quote Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    The probe should be between the heat mat and glass. Putting the probe under the substrate is pointless, and can also give incorrect readings which leads to heat spikes which leads to burns and other issues. Also, speaking of substrate, what IS your substrate?... it looks like gravel or something...
    Sorry if this was already mentioned.
    I agree 100%. The probe goes OUTSIDE the enclosure. If it's inside it can be moved, peed on, laid on, etc...which can all cause potentially dangerous heat spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith.luu View Post
    you can still have your probe on the inside of the enclosure(which is what I do). That way you get a reading of what temperature your snake is getting. At the same time just set your controller a degree or two higher because it has to warm up past the glass and substrate. Just make sure you use the thermometer to read inside and you’re fine. Outing the probe between the heat mat and glass, or on the inside of the enclosure really doesn’t matter, because at the end of the day you can change the set temperature on the controller to get the desired temperature within the enclosure.
    I disagree, for all the reasons above.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-06-2020),vivi (04-06-2020)

Thanks

you can still have your probe on the inside of the enclosure(which is what I do). That way you get a reading of what temperature your snake is getting. At the same time just set your controller a degree or two higher because it has to warm up past the glass and substrate. Just make sure you use the thermometer to read inside and you’re fine. Outing the probe between the heat mat and glass, or on the inside of the enclosure really doesn’t matter, because at the end of the day you can change the set temperature on the controller to get the desired temperature within the enclosure.
    The snake can urinate, poop or alter the placement of the probe which can lead to incorrect readings, which can lead to heat spikes and fluctuations. You do not want to be taping it down inside the enclosure either to prevent the snake from moving it, because tape should never be used inside an enclosure. You can use a temp gun to use know what temp your snake is getting, and adjust.
    vivi

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-06-2020),jmcrook (04-06-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vivi View Post
    The snake can urinate, poop or alter the placement of the probe which can lead to incorrect readings, which can lead to heat spikes and fluctuations. You do not want to be taping it down inside the enclosure either to prevent the snake from moving it, because tape should never be used inside an enclosure. You can use a temp gun to use know what temp your snake is getting, and adjust.
    Sorry i forgot to include that you can still have it inside, as long as its secured. I have a suction cup and it stays on even when I pull on it. I also place mine under the hide where the heat mat is and so there is no/low chance of defecation or urination on the probe.

You can also use silicon meant for aquariums as well.

Thanks

Sorry i forgot to include that you can still have it inside, as long as its secured. I have a suction cup and it stays on even when I pull on it. I also place mine under the hide where the heat mat is and so there is no/low chance of defecation or urination on the probe.

Yes, but...

Why go through all that trouble of making sure it is secured?

Putting it between the glass and UTH eliminates ANY chances of it being moved, peed on or otherwise so there is really no point for it.
    Your snake can´t mess with it if it is outside the enclosure.
    vivi

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-06-2020),jmcrook (04-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I also place mine under the hide where the heat mat is and so there is no/low chance of defecation or urination on the probe.
    Not the case at all. My BP for the last 10yrs eliminates his waste in his warm side hide probably 75% of the time. We're not trying to dupe you. Just speaking from a 1/4 century worth of reptile keeping experience, but what do I know...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-06-2020),vivi (04-06-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Every snake I've ever kept poops in their hide at least some of the time. Most poop in their hide EVERY time.

And those suction cups are also dangerous. They can get stuck to the snake and cause serious injury.

Bottom line: the probe goes OUTSIDE the enclosure. It's the smarter, safer way to go. And as keepers it's our job to provide a safe environment for our animals.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2020),vivi (04-06-2020)

Thanks

Was hoping it wouldn’t have to come to this, but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-06-2020),hilabeans (04-07-2020),vivi (04-06-2020)

Thanks
    Exactomundo! Anyway, I think we should leave this thread alone until OP responds.
    vivi

Thanks

I'm not invalidating your method. I think putting the probe in between the heat mat and enclosure works well. I just wanted to mention that in terms of gauging temperature it works either way. I'm not looking to discourage one or more methods. If in your experience it doesn't work well inside then that is fine. However I personally haven't experienced any flaws and find it works well.

I find that where to place the probe is quite a controversial subject and don't think any opinions or methods should be discouraged. As long as you achieve accurate/desired temperatures then continue doing what you're doing. Just offering other options.

If your bp happens to defecate/urinate inside its warm hide then simply move the probe elsewhere(while still remaining somewhere on top of the UTH as close to centre as possible) or change it up and wedge it in between. As long as it works for you.

Thanks

I'm not invalidating your method. I think putting the probe in between the heat mat and enclosure works well. I just wanted to mention that in terms of gauging temperature it works either way. I'm not looking to discourage one or more methods. If in your experience it doesn't work well inside then that is fine. However I personally haven't experienced any flaws and find it works well.

I find that where to place the probe is quite a controversial subject and don't think any opinions or methods should be discouraged. As long as you achieve accurate/desired temperatures then continue doing what you're doing. Just offering other options.

If your bp happens to defecate/urinate inside its warm hide then simply move the probe elsewhere(while still remaining somewhere on top of the UTH as close to centre as possible) or change it up and wedge it in between. As long as it works for you.
    This is simply dangerous advice. You're going to do what you're going to do, clearly. But sharing techniques/practices that are well known to be dangerous is irresponsible at best and a threat to the well being of your animal and also a potential fire hazard.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (04-06-2020),hilabeans (04-07-2020),vivi (04-06-2020)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast