Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,445

2 members and 3,443 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

ball python is super active?

So I have gotten my ball to where he is handle-able he likes to explore and loves to sit on the bed while I watch tv and move around. I love to handle him but I have noticed most balls would rather sit somewhere and hang around rather than wanting to move around but he on the other hand never sits still. I don't think he is stressed but I was just wondering if that was normal in some balls. I know that it's most likely nothing to worry about but I just thought I would ask Mainly out of curiosity thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: ball python is super active?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post
    So I have gotten my ball to where he is handle-able he likes to explore and loves to sit on the bed while I watch tv and move around. I love to handle him but I have noticed most balls would rather sit somewhere and hang around rather than wanting to move around but he on the other hand never sits still. I don't think he is stressed but I was just wondering if that was normal in some balls. I know that it's most likely nothing to worry about but I just thought I would ask Mainly out of curiosity thanks for any help.
    Probably just his personality. However, if you are handling a lot, it could be a sign of stress.

With BP's, and most being pretty shy, I recommend handling 2-3X a week for 5-10 minutes or so.

However, every animal is different and if he's eating consistently and is doing okay with the handling, you can prolong the sessions. However, I would not handle every day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Ciaran_songs (03-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I only handle him about 2 times a week unless for some reason I need to he loves to get out so I am working on increasing it little by little but I think I will stop at what I am at for now. I usually get him out for around 15-20 minutes making sure he does not get cold he enjoy's it and show's no sign of stress. I thought it would be a personality thing but I figured I would check thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran_songs For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-16-2020)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    None of the balls I've taken care of wanted to stay in one spot out in the open or in hand, they usually move around until they find a spot to curl up and hide if allowed. How do you know he loves coming out and enjoys it? What signs of stress are you looking for?

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-16-2020)

Thanks
    Hi, Most signs I look for are if he is breathing heavily or has jerky movement, balling up or focusing on my hand like he is about to strike or squeezing to hard on my hand when handling. Although I can't be sure he fully enjoys it I do know he is not stressed his breathing is always normal he never clutches on to tight and is open not balled and has normal tongue flicks he doesn't try to run away or have hurried movements just is more active than most I see that are more stone like when handled. Its not like the one's I see don't move just they tend to find a comfy spot and relax he does that sometimes as well but likes to move around more. He will curl up in blankets on my bed and it's really adorable. If I ever thought he was stressed I would put him up as soon as possible I never like to see him stressed he makes me feel uncontrollable love for him and I only want the best.
    Last edited by Ciaran_songs; 03-16-2020 at 05:52 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran_songs For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-16-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post
    Hi, Most signs I look for are if he is breathing heavily or has jerky movement, balling up or focusing on my hand like he is about to strike or squeezing to hard on my hand when handling. Although I can't be sure he fully enjoys it I do know he is not stressed his breathing is always normal he never clutches on to tight and is open not balled and has normal tongue flicks he doesn't try to run away or have hurried movements just is more active than most I see that are more stone like when handled. Its not like the one's I see don't move just they tend to find a comfy spot and relax he does that sometimes as well but likes to move around more. He will curl up in blankets on my bed and it's really adorable. If I ever thought he was stressed I would put him up as soon as possible I never like to see him stressed he makes me feel uncontrollable love for him and I only want the best.
    Awesome answer!!!

I actually just had this discussion with my fiance last night. I can't read them to know if they're "happy" or "enjoying themselves". But I can identify stress or discomfort. And all the ways you mentioned are the same I was telling her about last night.

My BPs are both pretty chill. Sometimes I place them down on the couch and they literally don't go anywhere. Other times they'll try to sneak under the cushions or a blanket. One is more inclined to explore than the other, but both will typically explore a little and then plop down next to me or on my lap or chest if I'm lying down.

What you're describing sounds like a more curious example of a BP but nothing uncharacteristic by any means. Just like us, some are more active then others.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you have a warm spot the snake will hang out. Otherwise he/she is looking for warmth, food, shelter or fun. I have several that will sit under the laptop or around my neck or in the sweatshirt while I'm on the couch. I've zzzz'd out an they where still there four hours later. Well, the ten year old did leave when I fell asleep. Took me three days to find her four feet away behind a book on the top shelf. Kids still don't let me forget it.

Learn from my mistake. DON'T fall asleep with a snake in your lap

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-17-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you! my ball also loves getting in the couch cushions I usually lay a scrunched up blanket down and he likes to burrow in it.

Thanks

That sounds interesting! He has escaped once I found him under the fridge after looking for hours, he had his head out and I picked him up and put him back. I have gotten clips since then guess I learned my lesson! I have noticed he likes to curl up around the laptop I will have to try putting something cozy on for him to snuggle into. Thanks for the advice it is really appreciated!

Thanks
    My little girl Persephone is also very active! I'm not super experienced, but I think it's a matter of personality and how comfortable your python is.

Hhhmm... I actually didn't know that it's not recommended to handle BPs so often!! :o Her previous handler claimed that she was very shy and not hand-tamed, but I suspect she was never shy at all- just ill kept. She was cold to the touch when I purchased her, and the set-up that came with her didn't get the tank above 65 F. She refused to unball for this lady. I was really shocked and saddened when I realized how poor the set up she was kept in, especially since the woman I bought her from collects reptiles. But I digress...

Once I got her temps and humidity levels corrected, I've never seen her acting shy or scared. I handle her everyday Mon-Fri from half an hour to an hour, and she's very active. Sometimes she's content to just wrap around my arm and stretch out on my lap, but for the most part, this little speed demon really likes to get a feel for the place. I've snake proofed one of my spare bedrooms and she loves slithering around and seeing the "world".