Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,465

1 members and 3,464 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Hybrid View

Registered User Serpentine_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks

Is my ball python going to shed?

I have had my pastel lesser for around a 7 weeks and he hasn't shed yet. He was 6 months old when I first got him. But when I looked at him today he looked kind of hazy around the edges, when yesterday he was bright. When I got him he was 149 grams and now he is 232 grams. His humidity is around 50% and his warm side is 90 degrees and the cool side is 78 (I check temps everyday). He has been hiding in his hide but sometimes sticks his head out of his cave. I know that ball pythons usually don't come out of their hide, but I'm also worried about the fact that he hasn't shed in 7 weeks. I know that shedding ball pythons also don't come out as often and that they do have duller colors because the old skin is going to come off, but I'm new to the hobby and I just want to make sure that he is going to shed.

(I have a humidity box that he fits in perfectly so I'm not that worried about raising the humidity of his tank).

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    It's a pretty good guess that he's somewhere in the "shed cycle". Nothing to worry about, but I'd increase his humidity to at least 60-70% now, it will help. Snakes
    cloud up (aka "go to blue") for some days, then go back to "clear" (appear normal due to moisture secreted between the old skin & the new skin) just prior to actually
    shedding. So just be patient...some snakes take a little longer than others. Better not to handle when in shed- most are grumpy too (instinctively at that time) & don't
    bother feeding either (some will eat, some won't, & some it messes up, so skip it if he's due & don't worry, it's normal & he's not starving, lol).

Humidity box helps IF the snake uses it. Hopefully he will.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-03-2020 at 10:24 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dr del (03-07-2020),Serpentine_Queen (03-03-2020)

Registered User Serpentine_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is my ball python going to shed?

So tomorrow is a feeding night so are you suggesting that I don't feed him tomorrow?
    He's usually active the night before but tonight he seems like he doesn't want to come out...
    I also have a question about ball pythons in general. Which side (Warm/cool) do they typically prefer? Or does it depend on the snake, because mine stays on his warm side most of the time.

He does go into his humidity box sometimes just to explore I guess...
    Last edited by Serpentine_Queen; 03-03-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Is my ball python going to shed?

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine_Queen View Post
    So tomorrow is a feeding night so are you suggesting that I don't feed him tomorrow?
    He's usually active the night before but tonight he seems like he doesn't want to come out...
    I also have a question about ball pythons in general. Which side (Warm/cool) do they typically prefer? Or does it depend on the snake, because mine stays on his warm side most of the time.

He does go into his humidity box sometimes just to explore I guess...
    It depends completely on the individual snake as to its preference but they move around from warm to cooler ( and inbetween) to thermoregulate themselves.

After a meal they do tend to search out and spend time on the warmer side to aid the digestive process

PS
    None of my current snakes will even show the slightest interest in feeding whilst in shed mode .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-04-2020 at 06:55 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dr del (03-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Correct. Unless you like to waste food...it's a good chance he won't want it. In the wild, snakes evolved & survived by laying low when they can't see what they're
    doing...so NOT eating during shed is NORMAL, they don't have "room service", lol. In addition, it can mess up the shed for some snakes, because shedding requires
    good hydration, and so does digesting a meal: trying to do both at once can cause either the snake to barf up their meal, or make their shed get stuck, so it comes off
    with great difficulty in a million pieces (& which you'll end up helping with). If neither of these options appeals to you, I'd recommend you don't feed snakes in 'shed'.
    (they do not appreciate handling when in shed also...best to leave them alone until they're done)

The whole reason we furnish snakes with warmer & cooler temperatures is because in the wild, they thermo-regulate according to their metabolic needs, & whether they
    need to digest. They need those choices, & it's possible that your snake isn't where you think he is when you're asleep or not watching. If a snake truly spends ALL
    their time on the warm side, best to check how accurate your temp. readings are...it might be cooler than you think?

Snakes are usually attracted to the moisture in a humid hide, especially when in shed, so let's hope he uses it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    We got our first BP on Nov 8th and at the time he was 5 months old and 214 grams. He didn't shed for us the first time until the end of January when he was around 275 grams. He hasn't shed again yet but I think he is about to. He is staying in his hides day and night which he started doing last time for a couple weeks before his shed. Some people have BPs that shed every 4 weeks and we've had one since the first of November.....