Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,257

1 members and 3,256 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

shedding anomaly

so heres the story, I've had Ror for about 2 months give or take a few weeks and he just finished his second shed. This time it went awesome, the retained eyecap seemed to have come off from his previous shed and it was all in one piece. In fact, {when I found the shed this morning} it was rolled up into a nice neat little ball, very convienient for cleaning. But thats not the "anomaly". The time of his first shed he was schedualed to eat. I figured i would offer hime food, and if he did good, if not thats ok. well he took it, more agressivly than normal. He didnt strike at me or anything but he definatly didn't spend less than .0001 of a second smelling the mouse before he struck. He usually sniffs around for a couple of minutes. The next day he shed. It was a bad shed but the humidity dropped and thats besides the point. This time around his eyes turned blue, then went back to normal. after about 2-3 days of him being normal it was time to eat. He ate yesterday. He was hiding in his hide {which is a oatmeal box with a hole in it} and i dangled the mouse in front of the hole. he came out of the hide immeaditly and took the mouse. So again he ate then shed. My snake not only likes to eat during sheds, but it almost seems like he prefers it. Anyone else have snakes with similar habits?? sorry for the long post but I just thought this was wierd....
    -Brad

0.1.1 BP {Rorschach & unnamed}

Thanks

Re: shedding anomaly

ok, So I am guessing from your post, but need you to clarify... how often are you feeding your snake? And how often are the sheds occurring, because the way it sounds in your post is this is an every week thing. How old is your snake?
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

I'm feeding him one adult mouse every 5 days and he's shed once a month. When I bought him from the local pet store he had just arrived from a breeder and he was 17 inches long so I'm assuming he was at least 6 months old at the time. But to clarify, no he's not shedding every week.
    -Brad

Thanks

Well I have one that came firing out of her hide one feeding night (we knew she was in blue but what the heck give it a shot). She slammed her big mouse and then we noticed her shed was rolled down a good half of her body LOL. She snarfed down dinner and retired back into the hide to finish the job!

All of ours are offered food during shed...it's up to them if they wish to eat or not. I can't say I've noticed a higher feeding response but then I'm just happy when they eat! LOL

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

haha yes eating period is definatly a good thing. I'm sure Ror is nice and content with a full belly and nice new loose skin. Oh and the fact that he can see outta both eyes now!
    -Brad