Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,417

2 members and 3,415 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Thanks
    So sorry for your loss. This thread was truly heartbreaking to read through. It seems very likely that your BP was already ill before you took him home, he already looks very thin and dehydrated in that Santa photo from when he was "ok".

If you want to try again with a BP when you're ready, I have a few suggestions:

• Make sure you go with a reputable breeder. I would check their reviews or ask around for good breeders when considering who to buy from. I'm sure many members here can also provide great suggestions.
    • Get a juvenile or sub-adult BP instead of a baby. A snake that is 500g+ or a yearling+ will likely be a better established feeder and less fragile and less likely to die from any potential birth defects at that stage. Check with the breeder to make sure the snake is eating well before you buy.
    • Go to a reptile show or a breeder within driving distance so you can see the snake and facility in person before buying (plus if you can handle the snake you can get a sense of its temperament). It is easy to take photos in a way that hide any illnesses or problems a snake may have, so if you're inexperienced, it can be very helpful to see and hold the snake.
    • Learn to recognize a healthy snake and signs of disease/red flags to avoid - Snake Discovery has a video on this which is a good starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmy2HCP500I

And as mentioned above, if you plan on reusing the equipment make sure you sanitize that stuff really well in case your first BP was carrying anything contagious. Use bleach and rinse thoroughly. If you're able to replace the enclosure and anything the snake would be in contact with that would be even better.

Best of luck and I hope you and your daughter will have a better experience with your next BP if you choose to get another.
    Last edited by Luvyna; 03-15-2020 at 10:07 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-15-2020),Buttercup (03-15-2020)

Thanks

Re: Septicemia Dehydration Baby Ball Help!

Thank you so very much for your kind words. It means a lot.

We do appreciate your advice!

We have taken a step back after losing Rocky.
    Afraid to get another sick one.

If we become ready, we will definitely use your wonderful advice!

Thanks, again!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456