Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,289

2 members and 3,287 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Need help understanding Het

Hey all,
    Been a while, but still here I guess. I want to say all my babies are doing just fine, even added some new guys to expand my projects. So my question is this “het” stuff, I have been around for a while and have done some studying on them but I guess I’d pick you guys’ brains. I know you only know with the gamble of the breeding, visual, 100%, 66%, 50%, possible… got it, the gamble you take on buying or making these Hets. But well I know there is no “REAL” Het for Co or Dominate genes, but like I guess my question would be the breeding itself, are those genes still there?

Long story short, I bought a GHI male, paring was GIH Mojave to Mojave, he was listed as a GHI, so I paid for a GHI, not GHI het Mojave right? So if I mate him to my Mojave female will I possibly get a super Mojave or just Mojaves and GHI Mojaves? Co-Doms right?

Well what about recessive morphs? So I bought a restripe het clown, sold as a normal het clown (I will post pics shortly, she is beautiful), so if I mate her with a red stripe would I get a super red stripe, or a visual RS? I got her for my clown project, but now I’m curious about this red stripe stuff, she came from a clutch with siblings who were hold backs for the breeder and there were 2 others he had there he priced differently (for obvious reasons with their genes they were showing, but RS is still new to me), so is she technically het red stripe too or just a normal het clown? So like if I breed her to a super red stripe (or “visual” red stripe) what would I get? 66% het clowns? 50%? Or like visuals or super RS? This stuff is so confusing! But it is fun and I can’t wait to see what they have going on, what I will create with these guys. Anyways stay blessed all and can’t wait to hear your opinions (clarity).

Thanks

Re: Need help understanding Het

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Not that confusing. Dominant traits wipe out all visual other genes. Co-dom visually show up along side other dominant genes. Recessive does not show at all visual until both genes are expressed. The all white version super Mojave IS a visual Mojave but because it's co-dom, only one set of the gene mixes with normal to become what you would think of as a Mojave. It's actually normal x Mojave, both genes showing up in the visual. So GHI x Mojave will have, GHI, Mojave, GHI Mojave, and normals in the clutch.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to walzon1 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-04-2020),Ronniex2 (02-05-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Definitions:
    Alleles = Different genes that can form a gene pair.

All gene pairs are either homozygous or heterozygous.
    Homozygous = A gene pair made up of two copies of one allele.
    Heterozygous = a gene pair made up of two different alleles.

One allele is either dominant, recessive or partially dominant to another allele. (Ignore codomiant and incomplete dominant and use partial dominant instead.) Two alleles (A and a) make three allele pairs (AA, Aa, and aa).
    Allele A is dominant to allele a when the three gene pairs have two different appearances. Snakes with allele pair AA and Aa have the same appearance, and snakes with allele pair aa have a different appearance.

Allele a is recessive to allele A when the three gene pairs have two different appearances. Snakes with allele pair AA and Aa have the same appearance, and snakes with allele pair aa have a different appearance.

Your GHI male was sold only as a GHI. Mojave is partially dominant to the corresponding normal allele. The breeder thinks your snake is only a GHI and not a mojave. In other words, there is no way to get a super mojave baby from this male unless the breeder made a mistake. This is not likely.

If redstripe is a recessive mutant allele, then mating redstripe to redstripe should produce all redstripe babies. All homozygous redstripe.

Allele A is partially dominant to allele a when the three gene pairs have three different appearances. Snakes with allele pair AA have one appearance, snakes with allele pair AA have a second appearance, and snakes with allele pair aa have a third appearance.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

dr del (02-06-2020),Ronniex2 (02-05-2020)

Thanks

Thanks .. I guess that normal gene is where I was not tracking far as what WILL be passed along ... so I guess that’s where my confusion is .. but I do appreciate the input .. I am still learning how this awesome hobby works and what will work and what still needs more information..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk