Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,306

5 members and 1,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

PVC, RHP, general setup advice

So just kind of thinking ahead, as at the rate she is growing, I am probably going to be moving my BP to her forever cage by the end of this year so I am in the research/info-gathering phase. I think i am going to go wtih a PVC cage, I like the animal plastics T8. I am thinking I want to go with an RHP, possibly with heat tape to supplement hot spot, but I have a few questions.

Firstly, does anyone have any experience with Vivarium Electronics' RHPs? It seems a lot of people on here use ProProducts, but it seems as though I could probably save myself a bit of money going with the VE brand and their standardized sizes rather than the custom route. Are they reliable?

Second, in my current setup, (41qt bin, 23x16x8") I am heating from below with a heat mat. I don't have any additional heating from above as with the heat mats and insulation and the short height of the tub, i'm able to keep her ambient temp within an acceptable rage of 75-77*, even in the dead of winter. I know a lot of people use RHPs alone and say the BPs don't actually need belly heat but for some reason I am just more comfortable having a source of belly heat for her hot spot. I certainly can save myself a bit of money on the thermostat if I only have one heat source to control (looking at the Herpstat 2, but the Herpstat 1 is a bit cheaper), but I also just worry about the RHP not being enough to keep a good hotspot for her, especially under a hide. I live in Colorado and it gets quite cold here so I like the idea that her floor temps are nice and toasty just in case the ambient temp dips.

Can y'all share some of your experiences/recommendations in this area?

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: PVC, RHP, general setup advice

I have 80 watt VE RHPs from Reptile Basics in all 3 of my PVC cages, running on a Herpstat. We haven't had any issues. I like that they have a solid surface for cleaning purposes. They relatively recently went through a design change with a different style of plug. I like the new style better. If you were able to purchase ProProducts RHPs online I probably would order one from them to compare, but I don't have any complaints about the ones from VE.

I personally don't use belly heat in our PVC, just the RHP. Haven't had any issues maintaining ambient or a hot spot, but our reptile room's temps are anywhere from 75-80 degrees. If you have cooler ambient temps or get a taller PVC cage (ours are all 15"), then belly heat would probably be nice too.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Southpaw91 (01-31-2020)

Thanks

Thank you! That's very helpful. Yeah I only have one snake in an apartment right now so I don't really have the ability to climate control her whole room (which is our bedroom and we'd be miserable at 80°!) Maybe I will try with just the RHP first. I can always add heat tape later if it's not to my liking.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Southpaw91; 01-31-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks

I have a large PVC setup with one 80 watt RHP for my huge girl, and the temps are perfect at about 88 inside her hide, and 92 on top of the hide (she never leaves her hide). But it is easy for me to regulate temps in this tank due to its size--it's a 4-footer. So I think you'll be fine without the supplemental tummy heat.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

6. The Following User Says Thank You to O'Mathghamhna For This Useful Post:

Southpaw91 (01-31-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by O'Mathghamhna View Post
    I have a large PVC setup with one 80 watt RHP for my huge girl, and the temps are perfect at about 88 inside her hide, and 92 on top of the hide (she never leaves her hide). But it is easy for me to regulate temps in this tank due to its size--it's a 4-footer. So I think you'll be fine without the supplemental tummy heat.
    Yeah the t8 is 4'x2'x1' so I'm looking at a similar situation. What do your cool end temps look like with that setup?

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

PVC, RHP, general setup advice

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    So just kind of thinking ahead, as at the rate she is growing, I am probably going to be moving my BP to her forever cage by the end of this year so I am in the research/info-gathering phase. I think i am going to go wtih a PVC cage, I like the animal plastics T8. I am thinking I want to go with an RHP, possibly with heat tape to supplement hot spot, but I have a few questions.

Firstly, does anyone have any experience with Vivarium Electronics' RHPs? It seems a lot of people on here use ProProducts, but it seems as though I could probably save myself a bit of money going with the VE brand and their standardized sizes rather than the custom route. Are they reliable?

Second, in my current setup, (41qt bin, 23x16x8") I am heating from below with a heat mat. I don't have any additional heating from above as with the heat mats and insulation and the short height of the tub, i'm able to keep her ambient temp within an acceptable rage of 75-77*, even in the dead of winter. I know a lot of people use RHPs alone and say the BPs don't actually need belly heat but for some reason I am just more comfortable having a source of belly heat for her hot spot. I certainly can save myself a bit of money on the thermostat if I only have one heat source to control (looking at the Herpstat 2, but the Herpstat 1 is a bit cheaper), but I also just worry about the RHP not being enough to keep a good hotspot for her, especially under a hide. I live in Colorado and it gets quite cold here so I like the idea that her floor temps are nice and toasty just in case the ambient temp dips.

Can y'all share some of your experiences/recommendations in this area?

Thanks in advance!!
    Honestly your statement about saving a few bucks is the worst thing you can use as justification when safety and health are the subject.
    With a AP enclosure all you need is a Pro Products RHP. I use 120 watt panels in my T12’s.
    You going with a T8 ( I suggest a T10) only need 1 panel to get your basking temp and your ambient. Your looking at $120- $150 tops to the door depending on wattage with a 15 year warranty.
    Your herpstat 1 is $140.
    A enclosure is $150 or $200 to your door. (T8 or T10)
    You will not regret buying the best of the best once to have them a lifetime.

Products I use and recommend:

Enclosures- Animal Plastics: Good things come to those who wait. A 3-4 month wait on these enclosures is normal, but the quality is worth it. Ive tried them all from Boaphile to Vision and there is no comparison:
    https://apcages.com/collections/terrestrial-cages
    https://www.facebook.com/apcages/

Heat/RHP - Pro Products: Pro Panels are a top of the line Radiant Heat Panel. You do have to call and speak with Bob. He does not have online ordering. He also wants to know your specie, enclosure size and home ambient temperatures to recommend the best size panel for your needs: I run 120 watt for 4’ enclosures and lower my power to 80% on the Herpstat, aprox $160, 150 watt panels I use on 8’ enclosures with a 120 watt on cool side, aprox $180.
    http://pro-products.com/pro-heat/

Thermostats - Herpstat is one of the best if not #1 for quality and safety:
    https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...products_id=26

Thermometer- Sensor Push. $49 each. This was a great investment. I do not have the WIFI Gateway station (for $99) to monitor while Im away from home, I use the Bluetooth compatibility for phones/Ipad etc..for at home monitoring. I have these in all of my enclosures for cool side ambient and humidity monitoring:
    http://www.sensorpush.com/products/h...SABEgKJAfD_BwE
    https://www.facebook.com/SensorPush/

Butcher Paper. I use Zoro, they have several sizes and great prices. If you want 60lb paper it is Brown. I use 2 sheets of 40lb because I like the White, makes it easy for me to see a mess. Best prices are available through Zoro’s ebay , you can also buy from their online store:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273444919986

Hides- Reptile Basics has the best injection mold Hides. They are not sharp or brittle, don’t be fooled by “look alike” PVC Hides that crack or have sharp corners:
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes
    https://www.facebook.com/Reptile-Bas...6716234800488/

Feeders- Rodent Pro:
    https://www.rodentpro.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgJPHPD_BwE
    https://www.facebook.com/rodentpro/

Snake Equiptment- Animal Equipment By Stoney LLC. Great quality:
    https://www.aestoney.com/shop/
    https://www.facebook.com/AnimalEquipmentByStoneyLlc/

Cleaner Disinfectant- F10 SC veterinary disinfectant. This is all I use. You have to shop around for it online because its out of stock a lot. I buy from Amazon and Ebay. Distributors like Reptile Basics and LLL Reptile have had it in the past but run out quickly. Never buy it in the spray bottle, that’s a rip off, get the concentrate and mix it.
    I can buy 100ML(3.4 oz) for $19.99.
    200 ML (6.8oz) $28-$32
    Or the best is 1 Liter (for Large Scale Breeders/Keeper) $90-$110.
    A example: 200 ML (6.8oz bottle) will mix into 13 Gallons of cleaner. Thats a lot of spraying.

Water Bowl 5qt $9.99- https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...uart-camo-bowl

Water Bowl 7 Gal $9.99-https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-feed-pan-7-gal

Water Bowl 15 Gal $19.99-https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-stock-tank-15-gal

POWER OUTAGE -
    Here are 3 ideas. One hooks to your meter and you plug the generator directly into your meter box and run whatever you want in the house, or the other 2 are cheaper ideas for Heat only to keep your animals at a safe temp. You can buy Propane or Natural gas. No electric needed.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=genr...EW&pie=plaji-i

Propane -https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heater-30-000-BTU-Vent-Free-Radiant-Propane-Heater-MHVFRD30LPT/305088499

Natural gas- https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heate...0NGT/305088469

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-31-2020 at 07:32 PM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Alien (02-02-2020)

Thanks

Ohhh also, your statement about not keeping your BP warm enough under a her hide, your bot understanding how a RHP works. Nothing can block the heat to your snake. The RHP heats objects in the enclosure and then that heats the air. Example. The ambient temp on my Hot side is 86-88, the top of the Hide itself is 92, the hide itself along with the walls/floor/waterbowl then generate warmth and my cool side ambient is 80.
    This is with my Herpstat set to 80% power with the 120 watt...
    Years ago when I switched to RHP’s i was also confused and was afraid my Hides would be to cool. On fact the hot side ambient being 86 made me think my snakes were to cool for basking, but if I test my snakes with a laser, they are 88-90 because the RHP heats objects and the snake is a object. Its really neat how it works.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Alien (02-02-2020)

Thanks

Thanks for explaining how RHPs work. Propruducts seem great, but they ARE expensive. Which is not a "justification". I'm going with top of the line where I can afford it. But I only have so much of a budget here, and if I'm on the street because I can't afford to pay my rent then the quality of the RHP is a bit of a moot point. Which is why my question was "who has experience with the VE rhps and are they reliable". I wouldn't buy one if even one person told me no, they are not. Not everyone can afford the top of the line, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the hobby, which is why less expensive alternatives are available. I appreciate your input but you come off a bit judgy on your approach. Not everyone has the luxury of dropping $150 on a heat panel without blinking an eye. That being said, again, thank you for your input. I will certainly keep this in mind when it comes down to making my decision.

Last edited by Southpaw91; 01-31-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw91 View Post
    Thanks for explaining how RHPs work. Propruducts seem great, but they ARE expensive. Which is not a "justification". I'm going with top of the line where I can afford it. But I only have so much of a budget here, and if I'm on the street because I can't afford to pay my rent then the quality of the RHP is a bit of a moot point. Which is why my question was "who has experience with the VE rhps and are they reliable". I wouldn't buy one if even one person told me no, they are not. Not everyone can afford the top of the line, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the hobby, which is why less expensive alternatives are available. I appreciate your input but you come off a bit judgy on your approach. Not everyone has the luxury of dropping $150 on a heat panel without blinking an eye. That being said, again, thank you for your input. I will certainly keep this in mind when it comes down to making my decision.

Well Im not tying to be insensitive to your money situation but if $30 more is going to put you on the street then paying for a Snake setup is the least of your concerns, quality and safety have to come first. I’m not saying PRO PRODUCTS RHP’s so you pay for a name, I’m saying Pro Products because they have a 15 year warranty and last forever. Tell me how that doesn’t work out to your benefit?
    Its $100 for a 120 watt VE panel, Its $129 for Pro Panel. My prices in the first reply include Taxes and shipping. VE price is $100 without tax and shipping. But just giving you some insight... maybe someone else can help.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Alien (02-02-2020),jmcrook (02-02-2020)

Thanks

We have 2 stacked RBI 2'x3'x12" vivs. Both have RBI UTHs and RBI 80w RHPs. Thr RHPs are mounted directly above the UTHs. All are controlled by a Herpstat 6. Our temperature grandient is steady at 90 degrees and 80 degrees (hot -> cool). After using these for nearly two years, we have had no reliability issues

From the reviews I have read, I'm confident that AP cages and Pro Products RHPs are excellent equipment.

Having said that, I have had no issues with the quality of my RBI equipment. Similarly, I found their customer services to be excellent (I had a viv panel damaged in shipping and they sent a replacement the same day I called). What tips the scale for me is the convenience of ordering and delivery time from Reptile Basic. I can't understand why AP and Pro Products cannot match that convenience given the apparent demand for their products.
    Last edited by larryd23; 02-02-2020 at 09:15 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to larryd23 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-02-2020),Southpaw91 (02-02-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast