Alrighty. So, a couple months ago I picked up 3 “medium” rats from a reptile store nearby. The smalls I had gotten from them the time before were very small, so I thought I’d try their mediums. And HOLY crap, these things are like the size of cats!!

Yes, I realize I should have exchanged them. But I didn’t. Yes, I know it’s best to buy in bulk anyway for regulated sizing. But I am living in Texas right now from California, where I am recovering from surgery for an unknown period of time. And I have no intentions of trying to drive cross country while worrying about thawing rodents in the car.

Anyway, they are obviously much larger than a meal I’d ever normally feed either of my animals. I’ve cut heads and limbs of chicks in the past, but there’s no way I could do that with one of these without a ghastly mess. I know I just worry way too much about prey size...because I see these photos/videos of snakes in the wild having swallowed MASSIVE prey.

I still just get nervous about it. Of course I know I can just toss them out. It’s not about that. I would feel guilty about wasting a life.
About 6 weeks ago, I fed the smallest looking one to my Dumeril’s. She did it, but looked fat and miserable for a few weeks. Although, it was nothing compared to photos you often see of large constrictors eating antelope and stuff.

Now that I say that out loud I realize how ridiculous I sound worrying. They just look so big! Even though others have assured me my scrub could probably handle one, I just can’t do it. He’s 6 feet long, but so thin-bodied. Every time he eats, I swear I think his neck will burst! But 3 days later, no matter how big the meal, it’s like it never happened.

Anyway, forum team. What would you do? Leave them in the freezer for now? Go for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk