Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

2 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: BP substrate

Thanks

BP substrate

Hello! So I have a BP names Pluto. I’ve been using the fire bark for substrate (that stuff that’s really large and chunky) but I’ve noticed while it’s way less messy, it doesn’t contain humidity and heat as much. I have coconut fiber on me, but that also is too heat absorbant for me. With the bark right now, water keeps building up so I’m gonna change it. I was think that I’ll put a layer of coconut fiber at the bottom and then the bark on top? I won’t be able to change his substrate for another week or so because he’s just come out of his blue stage and I don’t wanna do anything that could affect his shed. I just wanted to know if that idea sounds good, thanks!

-mkspain

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: BP substrate

Quote Originally Posted by mkspain View Post
    Hello! So I have a BP names Pluto. I’ve been using the fire bark for substrate (that stuff that’s really large and chunky) but I’ve noticed while it’s way less messy, it doesn’t contain humidity and heat as much. I have coconut fiber on me, but that also is too heat absorbant for me. With the bark right now, water keeps building up so I’m gonna change it. I was think that I’ll put a layer of coconut fiber at the bottom and then the bark on top? I won’t be able to change his substrate for another week or so because he’s just come out of his blue stage and I don’t wanna do anything that could affect his shed. I just wanted to know if that idea sounds good, thanks!

-mkspain
    If you have a uth (under tank heater) you don't want to make the substrate real thick. An inch is deep enough I would think. Thick layers of substrate can
    cause too much heat build up.

If high humidity is being caused by your type of substrate why not go with Aspen that helps lower the humidity (unless I misunderstood your problem.)

Aspen is dryer and cheaper than what you are using. Or some kind of paper even if you live where the humidity is high.