Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,211

1 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Stuck shed on neck

A couple of weeks ago, my ball python (6 months old) had it’s first shed after purchasing. Unfortunately, it was a bad shed and i take full responsibility - my humidity was too low and i have recently bought a hydrometer. I managed to take the larger pieces off on it’s body, and he already managed to remove his eye caps and shed on top of his head. However, i can’t seem to pry off the shed on his chin. His temperature is 29 degrees (CELSIUS &#128517 and his humidity is 50% - 60%. Should i continue to bathe him until i get it off? I have seen multiple videos of owners restraining their snake to get it off, and although it may be my last resort i don’t know if i should leave him. He has taken all his meals, and is as active as he usually is. Any advice?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    "Bathing" per se isn't ideal. Personally I'd confine him to a ventilated container with a very damp towel in, so that with the snake & towel, there's not a lot of room
    left. Keep the container in his cage where it's fairly warm (if using UTH, be careful not to directly heat the whole container...just have it next to UTH, not overheated).
    Might wait a couple hours before seeing if you can help remove the old skin. You can also mist him directly while he's in there to make sure it's saturated for a while.

When sheds get stuck, it tends to be on the eyes, tail tip (always check after sheds!), chin & neck areas. The neck is tricky because the scales are tiny, but in my
    experience, stuck bits of shed never get easier to remove with time...they get dryer & harder. So after my snakes shed, I check & deal with it right away. You're
    lucky that he got his eye-caps off O.K. at least.

When I help a snake with stuck shed, yes at first they don't much like it & struggle some, but with GENTLE PERSISTENCE I always win, and after I work on it a while,
    they often appear to catch on that I'm just there to help...some will appear to actively cooperate, & seem much relieved when the job is done. Like any other handling
    you do with snakes, as long as it's gentle & you stay patient, it improves your relationship with your pet & they seem to understand. I can't recall any snake ever biting
    me for helping them shed, fyi.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)