Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,256

2 members and 3,254 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

What going on my BP

Anyone know what grow on his body?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Those little bumps? No idea, I'd want a qualified herp vet to check it out...looks like it could be little blisters under the skin, indicating some sort of infection.
    How long has he had them?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: What going on my BP

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Those little bumps? No idea, I'd want a qualified herp vet to check it out...looks like it could be little blisters under the skin, indicating some sort of infection.
    How long has he had them?
    Previous I apply on antiseptic ointment. And it's better, but just notice he start have this again.. He start to have was on using soil for his bedding, and I removed and changed to kitchen white towel.. And it's better.. I just applied ointment antiseptic again.. In Singapore there is not vet available for exotic pets.

Thanks
    Sorry, I had no idea that you're in Singapore. Many skin issues like this come from substrate that is too damp, & with ball pythons, the warmer temperatures
    needed in their enclosures makes an ideal home for bacteria to grow too. Never use soil for substrate, unless you can bake it first in oven to kill the germs &
    parasites.

Now that I know you've used soil, he might also have some type of parasitic worms infecting his skin...& if so, I just don't know what to suggest, as it's out of
    my league: the only medication I can think of has a very slim margin for error with dosing snakes...you could harm or even kill your snake, so without even
    knowing for sure what you're trying to treat, I wouldn't even suggest it. Of course if this really is due to parasites, they too can harm your snake, so I hope
    it's not that.

About using antiseptic ointment on snakes, make sure it's not the type with "pain relief" as that can be toxic to snakes. It's ok (but not preferable) to use an
    ointment like Neosporin (designed for human use), but use very little & not for long, as it's petroleum jelly based, which can cause terrible issues with a snake's
    skin (trouble shedding, scales de-laminating). The better option (if you can get it) is a product designed for snakes/reptiles called Vetericyn...it's an antiseptic
    gel that's water-based for topical use that won't harm their skin for future sheds. You can also safely use Betadine (povidone-iodine) topically on a snake, might
    want to dilute it some though.

If you keep your snake on clean & dry towels (or on paper towels) I hope this will clear up. I hope...all the best.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Sorry, I had no idea that you're in Singapore. Many skin issues like this come from substrate that is too damp, & with ball pythons, the warmer temperatures
    needed in their enclosures makes an ideal home for bacteria to grow too. Never use soil for substrate, unless you can bake it first in oven to kill the germs &
    parasites.

Now that I know you've used soil, he might also have some type of parasitic worms infecting his skin...& if so, I just don't know what to suggest, as it's out of
    my league: the only medication I can think of has a very slim margin for error with dosing snakes...you could harm or even kill your snake, so without even
    knowing for sure what you're trying to treat, I wouldn't even suggest it. Of course if this really is due to parasites, they too can harm your snake, so I hope
    it's not that.

About using antiseptic ointment on snakes, make sure it's not the type with "pain relief" as that can be toxic to snakes. It's ok (but not preferable) to use an
    ointment like Neosporin (designed for human use), but use very little & not for long, as it's petroleum jelly based, which can cause terrible issues with a snake's
    skin (trouble shedding, scales de-laminating). The better option (if you can get it) is a product designed for snakes/reptiles called Vetericyn...it's an antiseptic
    gel that's water-based for topical use that won't harm their skin for future sheds. You can also safely use Betadine (povidone-iodine) topically on a snake, might
    want to dilute it some though.

If you keep your snake on clean & dry towels (or on paper towels) I hope this will clear up. I hope...all the best.
    Thank for ur help, I'm using wound ointment antiseptic cream.. Previously he had it like those blister type, after I applied on him, after he she its much better.. The blister not worse as before..

I plan to get povidine iodine, but not sure will he help.. And I Google blister will cause by humidity to high, so I really suspect that the soil issue.. Cos right of my BP IN COCONUT HUSK, Some with kitchen towel got no problems at all..

Thanks
    The thing about topical antiseptics is that they do the most good with wounds where the skin is broken, because very little goes thru the unbroken skin to where the
    infection is.

BUT DO NOT break the skin of these bumps, I am only trying to explain why the healing from using them is minimal & slow, at best, to treat this still-unknown issue.

It's probably not any sort of parasitic infection- time will tell, because if it was that, it would more likely be on his ventral (bottom) side, not where it is. (FYI, even
    here there are tiny parasites in the soil that can affect both animals & humans, especially if humans walk bare-foot outside, as children sometimes do in play. That's
    a big reason you don't want to use untreated soil for substrate, but there's also pathogens carried by wildlife, & even chemicals like pesticides from human usage.)

Since what you're doing seems to help, I hope that he gets all the way better.

Thanks

Since there's no exotic vet around what do you plan on doing if something drastic happens and your animal needs immediate medical attention? Just wing it?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-03-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    Since there's no exotic vet around what do you plan on doing if something drastic happens and your animal needs immediate medical attention? Just wing it?
    i just do what i can..

i had keep BPs for sometime is this the first time i encounter on this.
    Last edited by LoveBallPython; 01-03-2020 at 03:59 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Those bumps look like the onset of blister disease to me. Nasty stuff if you don't get your setup/husbandry sorted out.
    *.* TNTC

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-03-2020)