Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

0 members and 3,324 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Boaphile enclosure base modification????

I recently picked up a second Boaphile enclosure, same exact as my other. So naturally my plan is to stack them. I currently have a Neodesha enclosure on top of my original Boaphile. The dimensions are almost the same, so it sits nicely on the Boaphile without any risk of sagging (the structural walls if the Boaphile carry the weight of the Neodesha).

The original Boaphile came with a Boaphile base. The base seems to be exactly the same as the enclosure, minus vent holes and a door.

So on to my questions...

A) I'm considering cutting the base. As is I can't stack all three enclosures while having easy access to the top enclosure, which would be the Neodesha.

If I ditch the base the enclosure sits on the floor, also not good considering how bad my knees and back are.

Sooooo...I was thinking of cutting it in half, height wise. I understand it's hollow so I would need to build a frame to make up for the loss of structural integrity, but that would easily be hidden inside the base. This would give me a comfortable height for all three enclosures.

Thoughts?

B) this one is a bit crazy...maybe...

But I also thought...why not cut out a door and a few vent holes and turn it into a whole new enclosure??? Is this even possible??

Obviously I won't make any moves without researching fully, but figured I'd get some thoughts from my friends at BP.net.

Thanks in advance!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    P.S. if it's a stupid idea don't be afraid to tell me. I'm just brainstorming. I definitely don't want to ruin the base.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What is the size of the base an cages? If you cut it what will stabilize the legs(the walls you cut)? Racks are cheap if you go to HomeDepo or Lowes.

For my AP T8s I use a gorilla racks. I stack three high an can adjust the height if it's for the kids snakes.
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 12-10-2019 at 08:00 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Boaphile enclosure base modification????

All stacked the top of the neodesha would be what, 5’? Ceiling of the middle cage at 3.5’? I personally wouldn’t cut the base in half. Then the floor of your lowest enclosure is like 9” off the ground. I’d just stack them all but that’s me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-10-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    What is the size of the base an cages? If you cut it what will stabilize the legs(the walls you cut)? Racks are cheap if you go to HomeDepo or Lowes.

For my AP T8s I use a gorilla racks. I stack three high an can adjust the height if it's for the kids snakes.
    I've got all my other enclosures on shelving systems, but I prefer to just stack the three cause it'll just be a nice looking sleek black stack.

They are 36W x 24D x 18H. My thought was to use either 2x3s or maybe metal studs cause they're light. Just build a simple frame and hide it inside the hollow base. You wouldn't see a thing. I'd put a strip of PVC along the bottom to hide the screw holes. I'd build a box basically that fit snug inside. The horizontal pieces will support the open bottom while the verticals will offer weight support.
    That's my thought at least....

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    All stacked the top of the neodesha would be what, 5’? Ceiling of the middle cage at 3.5’? I personally wouldn’t cut the base in half. Then the floor of your lowest enclosure is like 9” off the ground. I’d just stack them all but that’s me

As is it would put the bottom of the Neodesha around 5'5" off the ground.

I was thinking I may go 12" if I were to cut the base. I'm only 5'8" so even the 6" would help. My Borneo boy would be in the Neodesha on top. Although he's never given me any reason to worry, I'd rather him a little lower so I'm not quite so face to face with him.

But it's just a brainstorm, might as well bounce it off a few others.

Thanks guys!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Boaphile enclosure base modification????

Ahhh... didn’t realize the boaphiles were 1.5’ tall. Yeah, I don’t necessarily like having animals at face level especially during feeding depending on the species. I’m only 5’4” so face level isn’t very high.

Depending on how low to the floor you’re willing to go, just make a cart of some sort? My behemoth cage cart is only a few inches or more off the ground but super simple. Built out of furniture dollys and 1x4” whiteboard.

Last edited by jmcrook; 12-11-2019 at 01:45 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-11-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Personally I wouldn't cut the base, I think it would become to weak.
    You could make a shorter base, either out of wood or just cinder blocks with a plywood sheet (can cover with a black sheet or something) or a short coffee table, plus then you get storage under the tanks. (I've done both of those before)
    Or - what I do, is use the base and get a step stool for ease of cleaning/access to the topmost cage.
    For the Horde!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post

B) this one is a bit crazy...maybe...

But I also thought...why not cut out a door and a few vent holes and turn it into a whole new enclosure??? Is this even possible??
    Oh I missed this part. I would think that is possible. As far as I know, his bases are just enclosures without the doors.
    For the Horde!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post: