Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

4 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

My snake is struggling.

About two months ago I got my second ball python. He is about 5 months old and lives in a 10 gallon terrarium. His “house” has fake vines, loose fake leaves for more coverage, two “logs”, and bridge like stick as well as 3 hides (coco fiber/paper towel floor). Hide on the cool side is 76°F flooring and the two on the warm side are 80° flooring and an 88° flooring. Hot spot is 90-94°F. The humidity fluctuates between 55-45 (I have to spray to keep it up). He is eating well (every 7 days) and I’ve seen him drinking his water. He poops frequently. He has had 1 shed with me and it was perfect (60-70 humidity). The one problem is that he seems unsettled and it’s getting worse. He used to just come out at night which was fine but progressively he started to stay out until day light. It is nearly 2 pm today and he has been out since 8:30 pm last night. All night he climbs the vines and pokes at the top, sometimes he slithers around his Logs and on top the hides. This carries into early morning and when he tires out he just lays there not moving at all. I’ve tried messing with lighting like making it darker or brighter and it doesn’t phase him. His chin has began to chafe. The time he finally goes back into hide varies. Yesterday he was hiding by 12. Once he hides he doesn’t come back out until anywhere from 7-9. Many nights I allow him to come out just to stop him from poking around. When he is out with me he likes to explore and on rare occasion he just lays in my blanket. My other snake doesn’t have this problem at all. They’re both bp’s (of course).
    Last edited by RoyalNoodles; 12-09-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    He's too hot, perhaps? High temp should not exceed 89-90*. Where & how are you measuring temps? (ie. if you rely on thermostat- and please tell me you're
    using one?- but the actual cage floor may be higher than you think...so check carefully where the snake can touch.) His actions suggest he wants OUT of this cage-
    & that suggests he may be too hot, esp. in light of your reported temps. Apart from that, it's normal for snakes to hide & for BPs to explore (hunt) @ night. Some
    snakes do just want out regardless to explore, but it's our job as caretakers to make absolutely sure they have what they need in their enclosures, and BPs are not
    really known for much "exploration". Excessive heat causes stress, thermal burns*, neurological damage & then death; it's crucial to get this right. (*is his tummy
    pink any places?)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Assuming that the temperatures are as indicated, try dropping the hot spot down a bit to 88-92*F. Otherwise, he's young, growing, and warm so he's going to be hungry. How much does he weigh and what size feeder is he getting?

Thanks

Re: My snake is struggling.

I do not know his current weight but when I got him he was 100 grams. He eats medium/small sized mice (sorry that’s not very helpful but that’s the way they are sized from where I buy). I measure with thermometers and a heat gun so the temp numbers are accurate (:
    Last edited by RoyalNoodles; 12-09-2019 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Replied to wrong person

Thanks

I looked him over and his tummy is fine. I measure with two thermometers, one is zoo med, as well as a temp gun which are very accurate. His heat mat is regulated as well

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RoyalNoodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I'd guess then that he's hungry and hunting. Take advantage and switch him over to f/t rat pups now.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2019),RoyalNoodles (12-10-2019)

Thanks

I had to switch him from live to frozen thawed so he’s only recently been taking food consistently which is why it was only every 7 days. I did feed him successfully today though! (His last feeding was 5 days ago) I’ll definitely try getting some rats for him (: