Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,371

4 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Hybrid View

Thanks

Very Low activity

So this is my first ball python, and I know they aren't very active animals ive had mine now roughly 5-6 weeks my husbandry temps/humidity have all stayed really close to the same the entire time but over the last two weeks ive noticed almost no activity out of him he is eating great... has eaten every week.. but the first 3 or so weeks id tend to see him come out at night for an hour or so and a couple days he would be in his hot hide, then a couple in his cold hide. Now he is in his hot hide 24/7 and I never see him out anymore.. He is still eating and doesnt seem stressed out so im not overly concerned, but a little thrown off.. any thing I should worry about?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Very Low activity

Also I know they are nocturnal and come out at night, but so am I basically.. thats why I used to see him every night

Thanks
    Well, a couple things could be going on, but everything sounds like your snake is healthy, given the information you provided.

1) He explored his new home thoroughly in the first few weeks and is now comfortable

2) He may be going into shed. Keep an eye on him and check him over each time you handle him

3) Some snakes become less active in winter.

It also doesnt hurt to check on his husbandry. Make siue the temps and the humidity are correct, especially ambient. If the air temperature is too cold, he may stay on the hot side as the only way he has to stay warm. Now that winter temps are kicking in, cold is going to be seeping in through the windows and such and could have thrown your temps off.

If you haven't already, I'd invest in an IR temp gun. They allow you to get precise temps all throughout your enclosure when you spot check
    Last edited by Ranulf; 12-01-2019 at 11:41 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranulf For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (12-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    You mentioned he was eating every week so most likely he's in a shed cycle. Make sure his humidity stays up, & if this is your first snake, be aware that all snakes
    cloud up, then gradually turn "clear"- it may look as though they already shed, at least to the untrained eye- because their body secretes some moisture between
    the old & new skin, making the old skin semi--transparent. So be patient...you may see the shed skin strung around the cage furnishings, or find it rolled up into a
    tight ball & tucked away in a hide, or even buried, but even if you don't see the shed, your snake should become more active again...that should tell you he's done.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

LeeAnnT99 (12-02-2019),Mppeasle (12-03-2019)

Thanks

I think you are right about the shedding, he is a little duller than normal, I don't yet see the white eyes.. but ive been making sure not to bother him much, since ive heard not to mess with them during shed as they are already stressed enough.. he shed fully the day I got him, now ive had him 5 weeks roughly and he has eaten 10 weeks straight.. so it would make sense for him to be shedding.

Thanks

Also he ate this past Saturday, but I had to literally touch the mouse to his nose, and he wasnt as excited to eat as usual.. so that would make sense consider many dont eat during shed period...

Thanks

So this morning I checked on my snake like usual, and there was some shed hanging out of the hide it was in! That must have been the reason for the change in routine like suggested! Thanks all!

Thanks

By this afternoon he had it all off, all in one piece but the head.. the head piece was broke off but came off also.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mppeasle For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-03-2019)