Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,241

2 members and 1,239 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,581
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Scale Recommendations for weighing our snakes

Hello everyone!

I looked around the forum and I didn't see a topic on this yet, which I find really surprising!

Right now, my girl is still very small (92 grams). At the moment I'm using a cheap kitchen scale to record her weight. I'm weighing her every week to make sure she isn't fluctuating too much. Having said that, I'm sure she will be too big for that scale in no time!

Does everyone buy special scales to weigh their snakes? Do they use a regular house scale? I'm curious how your 900+g babies are weighed!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    - Cheyenne
    2.2 Felis catus - Jet, Jasper, Terra, Meadow
    0.1 Python reguis (Het Piebald) - Tiamat

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,997 Posts

Scale Recommendations for weighing our snakes

Quote Originally Posted by OkamiFlautist View Post
    Hello everyone!

I looked around the forum and I didn't see a topic on this yet, which I find really surprising!

Right now, my girl is still very small (92 grams). At the moment I'm using a cheap kitchen scale to record her weight. I'm weighing her every week to make sure she isn't fluctuating too much. Having said that, I'm sure she will be too big for that scale in no time!

Does everyone buy special scales to weigh their snakes? Do they use a regular house scale? I'm curious how your 900+g babies are weighed!

I put them in a net bag ( think it was a laundry bag to keep socks together in the washer ) then weigh it using of those extending , spring scales fur weighing fish ( used by anglers )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 11-30-2019 at 05:42 PM.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I know it's been discussed before, but must be tough to find because 'scale' is so common on a snake forum lol (I did a quick search and didn't see the prior threads)

This is the one I use:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like that model is discontinued, at the time I paid $49. I use it for the reptiles and my own food prep. The brand Salter makes decent quality scales. It has options switching between gram, oz, fl oz, ml.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Re: Scale Recommendations for weighing our snakes

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    I know it's been discussed before, but must be tough to find because 'scale' is so common on a snake forum lol (I did a quick search and didn't see the prior threads)

This is the one I use:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like that model is discontinued, at the time I paid $49. I use it for the reptiles and my own food prep. The brand Salter makes decent quality scales. It has options switching between gram, oz, fl oz, ml.
    I figured as much; it seems like a common enough topic that it should be there, but I definitely couldn't find any previous threads!

- Cheyenne
    2.2 Felis catus - Jet, Jasper, Terra, Meadow
    0.1 Python reguis (Het Piebald) - Tiamat

Thanks
    Thanked 19,922 Times in 11,904 Posts
    I use a digital one that was designed for light office use (up to 5 lbs), bought from office supply store many years ago & still works fine. I just subtract the weight
    of the empty container I put the snake in after weighing both together. My scale has a switch that flips between oz. or grams. It's always been quite accurate- I use
    for mailing too & always the same as the post office figures. Bathroom scales are not accurate enough...unless maybe you've got a very pricey one?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,878 Times in 4,786 Posts
    Get the style that is low with a large pan like April posted. It's easier to balance the tub for the snake on it.

Mine was $20 at Target, handles multiple units like the others, and you can put a tub to hold the snake on the pan then reset the zero before putting in the snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,997 Posts

Re: Scale Recommendations for weighing our snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I put them in a net bag ( think it was a laundry bag to keep socks together in the washer ) then weigh it using of those extending , spring scales fur weighing fish ( used by anglers )

Oh and for hatchlings I use the kitchen digital scales and put the hatchling in an upturned CD holder lid ..