Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,231

1 members and 3,230 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: PVC cage ventilation

First of all, as a learning point for all, more isn't always better. In other words, if snakes like it warm - say 88F hot spot, they don't like a 98F hot spot more! It could kill them. Humidity isn't as lethal as quickly, to say the least, but even snakes that like higher humidity, don't want it dripping wet all the time either. BRB, etc. are the exceptions, especially as babies. However, BP's, BI's, most Colubrids, etc. who like 50-70% don't like 90%+. It can also be a breeding ground for bacteria - high humidity and high temps.

Now, WrongPython, to your point on the high humidity.

If you don't want to go the fan route, here are some thoughts.

You could try a different substrate. For an example, in my 6X2' Boa tanks, two (medium/average size) water bowls keep it between 50-60% humidity in my Boa tanks with paper substrate in the winter when it's 25% in the room. I have Boaphile tanks and have the doors for venting (that's his design) and closable vents on one side (I keep them closed in the winter and open if it gets over 65% for my BP, or over 60% for my corns (who have smaller bowls and smaller tanks but also Boaphile). Frankly, I am not sure if I ever opened the vents for my Boas.

PVC tanks are designed to keep heat and humidity in and do a great job of that if a good tank. Unfortunately, sometimes too good a job, as you are experiencing. I know it's not pretty, but paper substrate is a possibility. I use it exclusively and keep animals that do not need to dig. Frank the BTS being the exception, as is Shayna the BP to some extent. They get crumbled paper and hides and either dig under the paper, dig in the crumbled paper, use the hides, or some combination.

I use paper substrate because it's easy, clean, and oh, did I mention clean? I am immune suppressed having had a kidney transplant and cleanliness is priority number one for me, but also for the animals.

If you don't want to use paper substrate, switching to something else (I am not expert here on what), or using a thinner layer could work. PVC cages are easy to clean with F10SC, for example, so if some waste gets below the substrate, a shot of F10SC and paper towels does the trick.

Finally, once you get the humidity more under control, assuming you do not switch substrate, you can drill some holes in the side of the tank with a drill to add more ventilation. You can always cover those holes with masking tape/painters tape (ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE TANK), or any bigger tape that won't leave a residue, if humidity gets low.

Good luck and keep us posted.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Ss laser (01-02-2020),WrongPython (01-06-2020)