Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

3 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Crowley Progression

Great to hear of your feeding success ... the hairdryer trick just works real well for many snakes ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-19-2019),Valyndris (11-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakemom85 View Post
    ...If Crowley was a dog and she said that he was like her son (which many many people say about their pets) nobody would be calling them delusional.... If you can't be nice about your opinions maybe they should just be kept to yourself. I don't agree with keeping an animal in a tiny plastic tub with nothing but a water bowl but people do it every day. So really, if the way she keeps her snake bothers you so much, quit reading her posts. I can't stand see someone being bullied over and over. You guys already got the other thread shut down, so just leave her alone.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    FYI to all those trolling Valyndris, I've been known to tell people that "all my kids have tails" but trust me, I'm not delusional either. Kindly quit trolling & bullying the OP.

I agree with you, Snakemom85...and with moms everywhere that frequently say "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". Of course, in this context, "nice" would include "constructive comments" as well.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (11-19-2019),Luvyna (11-19-2019),richardhind1972 (11-19-2019),Shayne (12-28-2019),SilentHill (11-19-2019),Valyndris (11-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    Would like to clarify, He's like my son but I don't mean that like his a human son. I don't have kids so I consider my snake to be my reptilian son, I call myself mommy to him. I still treat him like a snake, sure he has a large room to roam around in but otherwise I treat him like a regular snake. I don't bring him around town or anything crazy like that. I also have a bird I call my baby brother/adopted son (he was my mom's) but I still treat him like the parrot he is.

On another subject I will explain why I am so convinced Crowley can show love and affection with a couple stories and why I will never be convinced otherwise.

Love can be interpreted so many ways, so understandably some won't believe it and some do, I like to keep an open mind about both and respect those who don't believe it as much as those that do. By definition when googling the word love, it simply means:
    1- an intense feeling of deep affection for something. "Babies fill parents with feelings of love"
    2- a great interest and pleasure in something "his love for football"
    3- feel a deep romantic or sexual attachment to (someone) "Do you love me?"

Alright so it's not number 2 or 3 but 1 is a maybe. I find (and probably just really want it to be this way) that Crowley does love me and also my husband. I've had so many experiences with him not to believe it. One time about 3-4 years ago, Crowley was doing his fasting for the winter and didn't really come out much. Well I was having a really bad mental breakdown and Crowley came out to comfort me even though he wasn't likely to come out that night as it was late, passed 11pm, so if he was gonna want to come out he would have usually asked by then. I was crying next to his enclosure (the computer was next to him at the time, small apartment problems) and he must of known how I was feeling as he came out to comfort me and that he did. My sad tears became happy tears instantly.

Another example of why I believe Crowley can show love, I think I've said this story before in my last thread, well it was when my first apartment flooded and I had to leave Crowley at my parents place till we found a new place to live, which took about a month. I visited him every opportunity I had when he was at my parents and cried every time I had to leave as my parents went to bed early (early for a nocturnal). Once my husband and I finally moved and got Crowley settled in, that night I took him out and he immediately went up to my nose and gave me like a 5 minute hug, resting his head on my nose. My heart melted and that was when I was convinced Crowley can love and really can show affection. He wasn't cold so when people say he was probably just getting my warmth and warm breath I don't believe it for a second.

Sorry for any confusion I've cause by calling my snake my son. He is a snake and I know that, he is eating and is a happy snake. I know a few people that also call their pets "their kids" but they treat them like the animals they are. It's more just how I say something and not how I treat something. I will work on getting my time lapse up soon so everyone can see what Crowley does overnight after I put him back.
    I really wouldn’t worry .... about anything. .. things are looking good .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-19-2019),Valyndris (11-19-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    Would like to clarify, He's like my son but I don't mean that like his a human son. I don't have kids so I consider my snake to be my reptilian son, I call myself mommy to him. I still treat him like a snake, sure he has a large room to roam around in but otherwise I treat him like a regular snake. I don't bring him around town or anything crazy like that. I also have a bird I call my baby brother/adopted son (he was my mom's) but I still treat him like the parrot he is.

On another subject I will explain why I am so convinced Crowley can show love and affection with a couple stories and why I will never be convinced otherwise...
    For those of us who harbor a deep affection for the animals pals in our lives, no such evidence is really necessary. For all those others that have been trolling you, NO amount of examples will ever be enough.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (12-28-2019),Valyndris (11-19-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I've been quiet on Crowley's threads the last few weeks. But I just have to speak up here....

"Bullying is the use of force, coercion, or threat, to abuse, aggressively dominate or intimidate."

None of the above has been done. There's a difference between offering advice and facts and bullying. Somehow this world turned constructive criticism into "bullying". But I'm sorry, i just don't agree.
    That being said I do think some have gone too far bringing another person's mental health into the conversation. I myself have mental health issues, granted I can hear somebody mention mental health and not feel attacked or bullied, but I don't feel it's necessary to air somebody else's laundry.

OP clearly has her mind made up. I'm not going to continue beating a dead horse. I have even PMd OP twice offering my advice and help. But I got no replies. I'm assuming because OP has her unnamed "expert" to fall back on and because I'm not going to coddle anthropomorphism. But hey, I tried... OP is only open to the things she wants to hear.

I don't even really know what "trolling" is so I can't really comment there, but there has DEFINITELY not been any "bullying".

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Kira (12-19-2019),Sonny1318 (11-19-2019),wnateg (11-19-2019)

Thanks
    I'd also just like to point out that there appears to be a bit of a gender divide between those who have been the most critical of Valyndris' posts & those of us who are more sympathetic.

When it comes to working closely with animals, there have been a number of women who were well "outside the box" (like Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey & Grace Olive Wiley) & whether it's because we women are truly more empathetic with animals or just the fact that we're more willing to show it & share it (maybe because there's less social stigma for "the nurturing sex", or because males are still raised somewhat differently & with different goals?) I would just hope that we can appreciate another member's perspective here with an open mind & without being so unkind. We don't all have to agree, but as Snakemom85 suggested you can also just ignore posts rather than name-calling & harassment of the member you disagree with.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

SilentHill (11-19-2019),Valyndris (11-19-2019),wnateg (11-19-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd also just like to point out that there appears to be a bit of a gender divide between those who have been the most critical of Valyndris' posts & those of us who are more sympathetic.

When it comes to working closely with animals, there have been a number of women who were well "outside the box" (like Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey & Grace Olive Wiley) & whether it's because we women are truly more empathetic with animals or just the fact that we're more willing to show it & share it (maybe because there's less social stigma for "the nurturing sex", or because males are still raised somewhat differently & with different goals?) I would just hope that we can appreciate another member's perspective here with an open mind & without being so unkind. We don't all have to agree, but as Snakemom85 suggested you can also just ignore posts rather than name-calling & harassment of the member you disagree with.

O stop. Don’t make this a sexist thing. Stick to topic. No one is calling names, bullying or trolling. I simply noticed over multiple posts that the attachment to the animal and “having to set next to the animal so it can pee” seems a little off. Go back and read the post. I stated I was concerned for her well being if something were to happen. Stop trying to turn this into something it isn’t. If you are referring to the “delusional” part I never said the OP was delusional. I stated that the post struck me that way and seemed way out in left field.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (11-20-2019),Kira (12-19-2019),Sonny1318 (11-19-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    I'm a guy and not at all afraid to say that I call all of my animals "my family". I love each and every one of them.

But I understand that they're different species, some more capable of showing affection than others.

I don't think it's fair to say women are more empathetic with animals than men. I'm more empathetic towards animals than I am towards people. Hence, feeling empathy for an animal that's is being anthropomorphized and husbandry and health of the animal suffer due to the human anthropomorphizing the animal. The animal doesn't get a choice. The human needs to be the one capable of learning and making changes to benefit the animal.

I'm not going to show empathy to someone who puts her own needs above the animal she "loves" so much.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Kira (12-19-2019),Moose84 (11-19-2019),Sonny1318 (11-19-2019)

Thanks

It isn’t relevant if you agree or disagree with the cultural understanding of a word. The meaning of a word in the English language is defined by cultural understanding of that word and dictionaries are reactive to the common use of the word. Thus, they are always a step behind. If the common use of the word is different than the dictionary definition, the dictionary is incorrect, not the common use. I have been quietly following the Crowley threads and I can say that what I have observed left constructive criticism and became personal attacks when people started focusing on assumptions about the poster as a human being instead of attempting to convey their thoughts in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one, which is an important element of constructive criticism. If it is constructive, then it is engaging with the subject in good faith. I realize people got frustrated and I understand why, but that is a failure of self-control and effective communication. Yes, constructive criticism includes negative feedback, but that does not mean it is delivered negatively or aggressively. Consider that if you are failing to get your point across, there is At least as much possibility and responsibility for you to improve your message and delivery as there is for the other person to understand it.
    Last edited by Kethith; 11-19-2019 at 06:50 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kethith For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-19-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kethith View Post
    It isn’t relevant if you agree or disagree with the cultural understanding of a word. The meaning of a word in the English language is defined by cultural understanding of that word and dictionaries are reactive to the common use of the word. Thus, they are always a step behind. If the common use of the word is different than the dictionary definition, the dictionary is incorrect, not the common use.
    Ummmmm....WHAT????
    The dictionary defines words. If we don't follow the definition of words than what's the point of having different words????? If you just use words any way you want communication becomes impossible.

Or...if I follow your way of making up definitions...

Yellow french fries scuba gear purgatory wishbone cookie blender....that means have a nice day...because definitions of words are apparently irrelevant...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast