Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,421

4 members and 3,417 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

New discovery made with one of my royals

I noticed a small dent in my royal's one eye the other one is fine , I know this is normally a hydration problem, but the humidity is constantly 60% to 70% and seeing that he is a spider he does bump his head sometimes.
    I wondered if the dented eye could be from a bump against the enclosure and not hydration ???

I don t want to mist his viv unnecessarily and cause a risp.....

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    I'd agree that a physical bump can cause an eye dent, but how fast the eye plumps back up (& whether or not it ever does) still relates to the state of his hydration. Even with adequate humidity in the enclosure,
    I think it's still possible that he doesn't drink enough water, especially since "he's a spider". If he eats f/t, try offering them wet. Might also try giving him a soak now & then...could be just in a container with a well-saturated towel for his stability, rather than freaking him out with the loss of traction when placed in water alone.

You might also try to encourage him to drink: gently passing a snake's face under a dribbling faucet will usually get them to drink, or if a snake is calm enough when you hold them, gently lower their face to the water bowl so the surface tension of the water gets them to drink. Many ways to do the same sort of thing...many snakes will even drink drips of water off your finger, but I can't speak for spiders, never had one. It's just that any snake with a coordination issue may not drink from a bowl when they should & when normal snakes would have on their own. With a "special needs" snake, it wouldn't hurt to encourage them to drink water at least once a week.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-24-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert420 (12-24-2019),Craiga 01453 (12-24-2019)

Thanks

Re: New discovery made with one of my royals

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd agree that a physical bump can cause an eye dent, but how fast the eye plumps back up (& whether or not it ever does) still relates to the state of his hydration. Even with adequate humidity in the enclosure,
    I think it's still possible that he doesn't drink enough water, especially since "he's a spider". If he eats f/t, try offering them wet. Might also try giving him a soak now & then...could be just in a container with a well-saturated towel for his stability, rather than freaking him out with the loss of traction when placed in water alone.

You might also try to encourage him to drink: gently passing a snake's face under a dribbling faucet will usually get them to drink, or if a snake is calm enough when you hold them, gently lower their face to the water bowl so the surface tension of the water gets them to drink. Many ways to do the same sort of thing...many snakes will even drink drips of water off your finger, but I can't speak for spiders, never had one. It's just that any snake with a coordination issue may not drink from a bowl when they should & when normal snakes would have on their own. With a "special needs" snake, it wouldn't hurt to encourage them to drink water at least once a week.
    I see him drink water every other night and it looks like the eye popped back out after I misted his enclosure this afternoon. I was just surprised to see this as I pay extra attention to their husbandry and thought dehydration wouldn't ever be a problem for me, but only experience can teash us these things, thank you for the awesome reply bud and he ate last night so I would leave him alone for now and try and lightly mist him once he has digested his food and I normally would dry the thawed rat but for future I will leave the rat a bit wet, also read they get a lot of their hydration through their meals, so that's def something I wil change. Was just shocked to see this. He gets fresh water every 3rd to 4th day wondering if I should changed

Sent from my PRA-LA1 using Tapatalk
    If you haven't learned something new today ,,,, go listen to: Gang Starr - Moment of truth. ​R.I.P

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert420 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-24-2019),Craiga 01453 (12-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Dented eye-caps are pretty common among BPs- between their large eyes & humidity requirements. That's a great sign that your BP's went back to normal right away.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert420 (12-24-2019),Craiga 01453 (12-24-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Hey, glad the eye sorted itself out. I've had this happen with my BPs too, and I'm also a stickler for keeping my husbandry in check. I even feed both my BPs wet prey.

So it can happen, but in my experience it always plumps back up in no time. The first time it happened I kinda beat myself up, as if I did something horribly wrong. But turns out even with proper husbandry it can happen.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Albert420 (12-24-2019),Jakethesnake69 (12-24-2019)

Thanks

Hay Pal

I did not know you are still active on the forum glad to see you did not take your useful knowledge elsewhere, kinda sitting here typing wishing some of you guys were closer to south africa , i have no reptile lovers friends , but on a different note i don't know if i was seeing things cos the eye is totally normal with no dents at all or even blemishes shiny as a rock and wet as beaver ....lol

Thanks to this awesome website and all of you i misted and the dent was gone within 3 hours.
    Last edited by Albert420; 12-24-2019 at 02:47 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert420 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-24-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert420 View Post
    Hay Pal

I did not know you are still active on the forum glad to see you did not take your useful knowledge elsewhere, kinda sitting here typing wishing some of you guys were closer to south africa , i have no reptile lovers friends , but on a different note i don't know if i was seeing things cos the eye is totally normal with no dents at all or even blemishes shiny as a rock and wet as beaver ....lol

Thanks to this awesome website and all of you i misted and the dent was gone within 3 hours.
    Nah, I didn't go anywhere. I love this forum. I'm just not replying as often, apparently my no-nonsense approach rubs some people the wrong way, hehehe. Not everyone realizes I'm here to help the way you did. Some people just want to be babied and not held accountable for their own actions (or lack of). They ask for help, but when I offer they think I'm mean. So apparently their over sensitive feelings are more important than doing right by their animals. Those people can find help elsewhere. I'm not here to baby people who can't admit they're wrong.
    I've made millions of mistakes, it's part of life. But I'm willing to admit my faults.....
    Anyway, nuff about that.....

I'm always a PM away if you have a question or just wanna chat snakes.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Albert420 (12-24-2019),OkamiFlautist (12-25-2019)

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: New discovery made with one of my royals

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Nah, I didn't go anywhere. I love this forum. I'm just not replying as often, apparently my no-nonsense approach rubs some people the wrong way, hehehe. Not everyone realizes I'm here to help the way you did. Some people just want to be babied and not held accountable for their own actions (or lack of). They ask for help, but when I offer they think I'm mean. So apparently their over sensitive feelings are more important than doing right by their animals. Those people can find help elsewhere. I'm not here to baby people who can't admit they're wrong.
    I've made millions of mistakes, it's part of life. But I'm willing to admit my faults.....
    Anyway, nuff about that.....

I'm always a PM away if you have a question or just wanna chat snakes.
    Totally get what you saying bro, and to say the least i made some dumb ass ones. Don't want to bring this up but my rice idea ?????? hahahaha what was i thinking back then. Just know your knowledge and experience is appreciated as well as Bogertophis

Another thing i want to say is my other enchi lesser morph went from live rat to frozen thawed rat in 3 weeks, i used a live rat in a small margarine tub with holes to give off scent and make rat like scratching noises , i then laid the thawed heated rat over the tub moving it with a thin but firm foot long twig prob as thick as a pencil just to give the thawed rat twitches and he took it straight away, the following week i laid the heated thawed rat in there without moving it left him alone returned hour later and sure as he;ll the thawed rat was gone. Dont know if it was my trick to get him switched so quickly and/or if he was just hungry and ate ? glad he is eating f/t though thought i would update you on that Craig

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert420 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-24-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert420 View Post
    Totally get what you saying bro, and to say the least i made some dumb ass ones. Don't want to bring this up but my rice idea ?????? hahahaha what was i thinking back then. Just know your knowledge and experience is appreciated as well as Bogertophis

Another thing i want to say is my other enchi lesser morph went from live rat to frozen thawed rat in 3 weeks, i used a live rat in a small margarine tub with holes to give off scent and make rat like scratching noises , i then laid the thawed heated rat over the tub moving it with a thin but firm foot long twig prob as thick as a pencil just to give the thawed rat twitches and he took it straight away, the following week i laid the heated thawed rat in there without moving it left him alone returned hour later and sure as he;ll the thawed rat was gone. Dont know if it was my trick to get him switched so quickly and/or if he was just hungry and ate ? glad he is eating f/t though thought i would update you on that Craig

Hahahaha, the rice idea!!! Hey, I'm all for outside the box thinking like that, I just think it's best to stick to basics while learning.

As for your technique switching to F/T I actually really like the idea. I definitely think it could have "tricked" the snake and could be what switched him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Albert420 (12-24-2019)