Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

0 members and 3,358 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

About to use a CHE with my rainbow boa?

Previously when I used a Che my humidity went right down the drain, went from 90% to 10% in a matter of hours. My question is how can I use a Che but also keep a large amount of humidity in the enclosure that can last atleast a day?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Honestly? You can't, it's simple physics and you won't win that battle.

The only way I could see making it work would be to give your snake a deep bedding of a substrate that can stay damp, such as cypress mulch or coco, that your snake could completely bury itself in. The problem there is that your snake won't be warm.

If you want to keep a high-humidity species like a BRB or a sunbeam snake, use a proper reptile enclosure with an RHP, or a tub and UTH. Over time they are cheaper and easier to operate than tanks are.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

cletus (11-09-2019),RickyNY (11-09-2019)

Thanks

Re: About to use a CHE with my rainbow boa?

Well for now what I'm planning to do is use a mix of cypress and coco fibre and moss, pour water into it and then mist in the morning and in the afternoon. for the most part its the best i can think of when keeping high humidity. A heatmat just won't cut it and heat panels are out of my budget

Thanks
    get a mister on a timer. Not a fogger - a mister. If you're trying to keep such a high humidity species in an environment that is not conducive to humidity you'll have to be adding water very frequently. Constant drops in humidity can lead to RI, you want to make sure it stays humid, rather than the humidity constantly dropping below normal every day and then back up when you add water.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Usually I'm and advocate for glass enclosures working just fine. I've been using them for years.

However, with a species like a BRB that requires high humidity they simply don't work well unless you live somewhere the temps and humidity stay high and you don't need supplemental heat.

Unfortunately I think without the proper equipment you'll be fighting a losing battle and your snake may end up dealing with illnesses like RI.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Usually I'm and advocate for glass enclosures working just fine. I've been using them for years.

However, with a species like a BRB that requires high humidity they simply don't work well unless you live somewhere the temps and humidity stay high and you don't need supplemental heat.

Unfortunately I think without the proper equipment you'll be fighting a losing battle and your snake may end up dealing with illnesses like RI.

I mostly agree here. I actually have a huge dislike of tubs purely for aesthetic reasons, but both of my rainbows are in tubs until they are big enough for a large PVC enclosure. Rainbows - like any species - CAN be kept well in a glass tank, but it takes a lot more effort and you really have to have it set up perfectly and regulated on point. If it isn't, the animal suffers. It sounds like OP's setup isn't ideal, but if they want to keep the glass, they need to be able to be constantly adding humidity - misting once or twice a day will not be enough. Ultimately, imo, it doesn't matter what the snake is kept in as long as its needs are met and if they aren't something needs to change, like in the OP.

I was going to suggest switching to a tub but it doesn't sound like OP has a good method to heat a tub and can't afford to get a tub safe heat panel. I'm skeptical that a CHE in the method I described will warm a larger tub.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    I mostly agree here. I actually have a huge dislike of tubs purely for aesthetic reasons, but both of my rainbows are in tubs until they are big enough for a large PVC enclosure. Rainbows - like any species - CAN be kept well in a glass tank, but it takes a lot more effort and you really have to have it set up perfectly and regulated on point. If it isn't, the animal suffers. It sounds like OP's setup isn't ideal, but if they want to keep the glass, they need to be able to be constantly adding humidity - misting once or twice a day will not be enough. Ultimately, imo, it doesn't matter what the snake is kept in as long as its needs are met and if they aren't something needs to change, like in the OP.

I was going to suggest switching to a tub but it doesn't sound like OP has a good method to heat a tub and can't afford to get a tub safe heat panel. I'm skeptical that a CHE in the method I described will warm a larger tub.
    I'm not a tub guy myself. I've been a glass guy for a long time. I still use glass. But as my crew grows I've been upgrading my enclosures too.

I'm not saying keeping a BRB in glass can't work, I know it can. But it's gonna be tough to keep consistent temps and humidity in glass, especially with a CHE. I almost picked up a BRB a few years ago, but after putting in my due diligence I didn't for that exact reason. I have decided to go in other directions since though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Spoons (11-17-2019)

Thanks

I use two Che’s in a glass aquarium. Lost of moss and a big water bowl. I also take the flatter square style Tupperware containers, I fill them with water and poke holes through the lids. Then I cover them in a layer of substrate and that seems to help as well. I don’t kno if you can keep humidity that high but I can average around 60 with minimal effort