Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,146

2 members and 3,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

New to the Forum and Need Advice

Hello all, I am new to the forum and would like some advice on keeping snakes. I don't have one yet but am seriously thinking of getting one. I want to have as much knowledge as I can before I get it though. I want to get a BP so if you can give as much advice on keeping them I would be grateful. Also could you please tell me any of your particular preferences in brands for items in the terrarium or are the kits at PetSmart good to use? I just don't think they could be reliable. What do you think?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Being a responsible owner is about doing your own research showing that YOU put in the work there are care sheet and supply list and the important is to find what works for YOU once you have done some research. There are many ways to keep ball pythons but as a new owner you should know the basics before venturing in more advance husbandry method

This will cover it.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ius)-Caresheet

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ips-and-Tricks
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-30-2019),dr del (10-30-2019),Jakob_Ansel (10-30-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New to the Forum and Need Advice

Unpopular opinion, but a ball python prob is not the best beginner snake for someone to get, I'm a hypocrite because when I bought I bought a lot quickly. However after owning different types of snakes I would not reccomend getting a ball for a first, the husbandry for a new owner might be overwhelming because they can very easily go off feed if something is wrong.

If you do go the rout of ball pythons, I will say they are AMAZING and this forum is an excellent resource. Spend time browsing the different topics and posts, everything you need to know can be found. Just do a little digging, lots of great material on this forum.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Super Pastel VPI Axanthic Enchi (Jasmin)

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Het Red Axanthic Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 Orange Dream Enchi Fire
    0.1 leatherback hypo Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Purple Motley Suntiger Citron Reticulated
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.2 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda
    0.1 Indonesian Frilled Dragon

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bmwood For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-30-2019),Bogertophis (10-30-2019),Jakob_Ansel (10-30-2019),Toad37 (10-30-2019)

Thanks

As a fairly new owner myself, I don't advise the kits that you can buy from the pet store. It's a waste of money. I'm speaking from experience here because that is what I got but half the stuff that comes in it is basically useless and you have to buy a bunch of other stuff to make it work. If you go the glass tank rought, it may be better to buy just the tank and buy everything else you need separately. Some suggestions for things you'll need are: under tank heat mat and thermostat to regulate it, substrate (I like forest floor but there are several good ones, just depends on your preference), if your house stays cooler than 75 you may want a ceramic heat emitter to help with ambient temps, hides (at least 2), water dish, temp gun (it has a laser to check surface temps, definitely need this) and I prefer to have functional decor in my tank to provide my guy with climbing opportunities. I'll post some pics of my set up. Just as a disclaimer, I am no expert, this is just what has been working for me.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snakemom85 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2019),Jakob_Ansel (10-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,917 Times in 11,900 Posts
    I quite agree with bmwood's post: while most people will be the most enthused & diligent for whatever kind appeals MOST to them, I have to say that BPs can be
    more difficult pets for several reasons:

1. husbandry- keeping the humidity & temperatures correct for them year-round so they stay healthy. It's more challenging (not impossible, but takes 'know-how')
    to keep their enclosures warm if your house is on the cool side, whether due to summer A/C or winter's chill.

2. feeding- they are shy ambush-predators & can be very fussy; they rely on their heat-sensing pits to recognize & accept their prey. They often eat well when young
    but you must be prepared for the likely fact they'll do some periodic fasting as adults, & this can frustrate most of us.

While this forum is named for ball pythons, many of us here keep many other kinds & will be happy to help with your questions whatever you decide to pursue. As was
    already mentioned, doing your "homework" first will really help you succeed. Welcome!

And I only have a Petco near me, not a Petsmart, but I'm pretty sure their reptile kits are similar, & sorry, not recommended. Some things included are a waste of your
    money, better to buy things "a la carte" & get it right the first time. You'll also have to decide "glass or plastic"? There are pro's & con's to both...I'm a glass tank lover
    myself, but not keeping BPs any more either. I'm mostly a colubrid keeper now, along with a little Aussie spotted python & a rosy boa. Many BP-keepers here insist on
    plastic caging, but not all agree, and glass CAN be made to work too if that's your choice.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jakob_Ansel (10-30-2019)

Thanks

Thank you all for your tips and advice! I will definitely hold off on getting a BP now until I have done a lot of research and go through as much useful forums as possible.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakob_Ansel For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-30-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob_Ansel View Post
    Thank you all for your tips and advice! I will definitely hold off on getting a BP now until I have done a lot of research and go through as much useful forums as possible.
    Pay close attention to the threads where BP-keepers are asking for help getting their snakes to feed...it seems complicated at first but after a while, you'll see many of the same reasons (for refusal) come up time after time. Snakes are not demanding pets in the way that dogs & cats are, but you absolutely have to understand what they need and why. Easier snakes include corn & rat snakes, king snakes, gopher/bull/pine snakes, etc.- both because it's easier to achieve the temperatures they need year-round to keep them feeding & healthy, and because they're nearly always easier to feed, & they feed reliably, without having to blow-dry their dead mouse to life-like warmth etc.

If patience isn't your strong suit, you'll want to keep that in mind when you choose your pet: do you want a snake that's outgoing? or easily stressed & fairly inactive? How big are you comfortable with in terms of handling? (boas are easier to feed but most get much larger, & larger snakes cost more to feed & house, so consider that too.) This is really the same sort of self-examination that we should all do for any kind of pet we're thinking about, since pets can live a long time & deserve the best of care, which is more likely when we're most "compatible" with the ones we choose.

Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-30-2019 at 10:51 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jakob_Ansel (10-31-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob_Ansel View Post
    Most important parts before making the decision is keep a pet snake: 1. Are there available live rodent feeders of all ages (ie pinkies) at your local pet store in the event you must feed live? 2. Is there an experienced snake vet near you or are you willing to travel to one? 3. Are you looking for a pet that you can take outside and show off, handle the snake hours on end or numerous times daily?

If the answers to #1-2 is a no, or #3 is a yes, a pet snake may not be the right pet for you. Even pet lizards that are vegetarian or omnivores will get stressed out from too much handling, and they need more vet care than the average pet snake.

If you are truly ready, then do your research thoroughly to narrow down what you want: active during the day or nocturnal? Heavy bodied or slim? Keeled scales or smooth? Easy to care for or a challenge/less likely to forgive mistakes? Display pets or tolerate handling? Tall tanks (arboreal) or not (floor space required)? Size limitation? Captive bred or import?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2019),Caitlin (10-30-2019),Jakob_Ansel (10-31-2019)

Thanks
    That part about local availability of live feeders is really important (good call, Cheesenugget!). We have a forum member here that got a neonate snake (not a BP)
    that had only been fed twice (seller said) before he got it home, & prior to getting this snake, he had asked the one local pet store about live feeders being sold there.
    Some mix-up of information with staff took place & now he has a snake that wants live (won't eat f/t yet) and no live feeders of the right size & kind are available any-
    where near him. This is truly something you want to avoid...so if you get a snake that needs live feeders (until such time as you can talk it into eating f/t), it's safer to
    have more than one local source, just in case one goes out of business or something.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jakob_Ansel (10-31-2019)